Reseen Marauder

242 replies to this topic

#61 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

Huh. I always thought 'mad cat' was 'catapult only much more fierce'.

#62 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

View PostArchon, on 27 September 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Don't mechs like the Cataphract and especially the Timberwolf already look a lot like the Marauder? HG hasn't sued over those. I think a reseen could work.

It 'won't work.' Stop suggesting it, because it'll never happen.

#63 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:23 AM

View PostDivineEvil, on 27 September 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Cataphract legs and structure frame are from Catapults, not Marauders.

Sauce?

From the tro 3039, mentions MAD, does not mention CPLT.

"The legs, torso, and right arm are based on the Marauder,"

Edited by Ghogiel, 28 September 2014 - 12:29 AM.

#64 Duke Hector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 302 posts
  • LocationNistus

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostIron Riding Cowboy, on 27 September 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

why are we not getting this reseen marauder... i understand why we are not going to get the unseen because of HG... But is this why we have reseen so we can have them ?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

and it looks very different from the original

Posted Image

and yet looks rely close to the king crab. Chang the name to Mad Crab so HG will not pick up on it and give it the claws :)
Posted Image

the 75 ton Mad Crab ;) come on PGI make it happen

Posted Image

because russ himself NUMEROUS TIMES has said they are not doing anymore reseen mechs.... for the time being

#65 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostDan the Ice Man, on 28 September 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

because russ himself NUMEROUS TIMES has said they are not doing anymore reseen mechs.... for the time being

well we do not need a reseen marauder if PGI gives us a 75 ton crab as posted on the OP .. yes they will have to make it up but i think it will be worth it

Edited by Iron Riding Cowboy, 28 September 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#66 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:15 AM

am i like the only one that would rather want to see the Warhammer over the marauder?
the marauder does look plenty cool but the Warhammer has some really good potential hardpoints. and supports all three weapon groups.

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 27 September 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

Best you can hope for is a more symetrical Cataphract. By the way, the Cataphract legs and right arm are already from the Marauder.

Posted Image

If we could get an option to have the left arm be a mirror image of the right arm, then we could work with it.

As for a Warhammer clone, well either get a BattleAxe or a Guilotine. Those are fairly close, especially the BattleAxe. In fact, I would probably prefer the BattleAxe as the Warhammer would have fairly insane hardpoints with 6 energy, 2 ballistic, and 1 missile. The Battleaxe would have 2 (possibly4) energy and 3 missile, and jump jets.

Posted Image

and speaking of stand ins, how about disguising the Warhammer as the Battleaxe MKII. basically a new Battleaxe that functions identically to the Warhammer in hardpoints and armour.
with a little bit of artistic license to the MW:O version of the lore it could be that the BKX-II is the Warhammer and the Warhammer became a failed prototype or something.

#67 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:41 AM

View PostHollow Earth, on 28 September 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

am i like the only one that would rather want to see the Warhammer over the marauder?
the marauder does look plenty cool but the Warhammer has some really good potential hardpoints. and supports all three weapon groups.

and speaking of stand ins, how about disguising the Warhammer as the Battleaxe MKII. basically a new Battleaxe that functions identically to the Warhammer in hardpoints and armour.
with a little bit of artistic license to the MW:O version of the lore it could be that the BKX-II is the Warhammer and the Warhammer became a failed prototype or something.

They're NEVER adding any macross mechs to the game, under any circumstances, and they've repeatedly voiced that they're not interested in artistic licensing of classic mechs.
Before the uneducated masses spout about phoenix mechs, those aren't macross, but dougram.

https://www.youtube....d&v=2dpRHOApCWI

Posted Image

You'll NEVER see any of the following in MWO. List not inclusive.

Warhammer.
Crusader.
Wasp.
Stinger.
Phoenix hawk.
Osts.
Rifleman.
Marauder.
Archer.

The firebee is a potential stretch, but that's it. You can stop asking about these robots now.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 28 September 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#68 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

I am all in pledging towards a lawsuit against HG on kickstarter to settle this once and for all.

Edit : If we win the backers get a bundle of chromed unseen mechs on top of the satisfaction.

Edited by Solomon Ward, 28 September 2014 - 02:24 AM.

#69 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 27 September 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

Best you can hope for is a more symetrical Cataphract. By the way, the Cataphract legs and right arm are already from the Marauder.

Posted Image

If we could get an option to have the left arm be a mirror image of the right arm, then we could work with it.

As for a Warhammer clone, well either get a BattleAxe or a Guilotine. Those are fairly close, especially the BattleAxe. In fact, I would probably prefer the BattleAxe as the Warhammer would have fairly insane hardpoints with 6 energy, 2 ballistic, and 1 missile. The Battleaxe would have 2 (possibly4) energy and 3 missile, and jump jets.

This was nearly 20 months ago, but I created the Marauder out of a Cat and a Phract here:
http://mwomercs.com/...chlab-pictures/
Posted Image

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 27 September 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Held a Marauder contest last year. If you guys missed it you should check out and see what people came up with. There's some really awesome stuff.

Main contest
The winners

Yes, the best Marauder contest on MWO and the best redesigns ever seen!
Allow me to quote the winners, because people don't click links most times and they need to be seen again :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#70 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:40 AM

Seriously the marauders look really nice! :)

But from what I have seen, the cons outweight the pros in adding them in... :(

FYI, I am a fan of macross, not robotech!

#71 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Beh.

I get that the thing is as iconic as the Timber Wolf. I get that people want another IS 75t heavy that doesn't mess up like the poor Orion did. I get that the way-back-when Macross originals have a special place in a lot of people's hearts, and I really do sympathize with people who want to pilot their favorites. I do. I know how much I squee'd when I saw I was going to get a crack at the Shadow Hawk.

People, it's not worth it. Unless Russ can secure permission from Harmony Gold ahead of time, in writing, to go ahead with making use of the Reseen editions of all those old Macross Unseens, he's not going to do it because Harmony Gold will tie up the assets, and a lot of his company's assets, in a big fat legal snarl to protect the oh-so-precious Macross rights they've been steadily ruining. Even if the courts come out in the end and say "HG, you guys are {Richard Cameron}. These things are fine, leave Piranha alone", many months of legal hassle and moneydrain will've slowed down all the other things Russ wants to do with MWO and possibly threatened Piranha's existence fiscally outright.

And before you ask: no, Harmony Gold is never going to give anyone permission to come anywhere even remotely close to those old designs. U.S. copyright law is garbage, and if HG lets any challenge to its copyrights, even one that isn't an actual challenge to its actual copyrights, go unanswered, it erodes those copyrights in the eyes of the court. Even simply giving permission to use reduxes of the Reseens is a precedent Harmony Gold won't be setting, because then the next company down the line to want to use those 'Mechs won't have to be so fearful of HG bollixing the works. They can simply go to the courts and say "These bozos let Piranha use this stuff, why can't we do the same thing?!" and cut plenty of time and money both off the impending legal battle.

The threat of lengthy litigation is Harmony Gold's best defense against anyone going after those corrupt, rotten, thoroughly unethical copyrights they've been squatting on for, what? Twenty years now? They know they don't have a leg to stand on, they know they couldn't successfully block any honest use of Reseen material if a company was willing to go to the mat with them over it. Russ knows it, I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. That's not the point. The point is that Harmony Gold can make it impossible for Piranha to make money off of those 'Mechs, by tying them up in litigation and investigations and bullphuckery for months and months, and just make it not worth Piranha's time, energy, and effort, or anyone else's, to get the damn things freed up once and for all.

STAAAAAHP saying "We could totally make a legal case out of this!" Yes, we could. The point is that legal cases are expensive, they're expensive for a long time, and they tie up assets Russ could otherwise be putting into MWO directly. And HG wouldn't even be aiming to defeat the court case properly in the first place. This wouldn't be a Phoenix Wright Trial of Possession fought honorably in a Circle of Legals. HG would draw out the process as painfully long as they could, do their absolute damnedest to bleed Piranha white, sabotage the proceedings as much as they were able, and try to force Piranha to beg off the whole thing and settle out of court, in a manner that keeps the Macross Reseens out of MechWarrior Online.

It's. Not. Going. To. Happen. Harmony Gold is an evil bad company who hates people, BattleTech, and people who play BattleTech most of all, and they delight in your delicious tears.

Beeteedubs: the streamlined Officers' Battlepods from the OP aren't the Reseen Marauder. The Reseen Marauder is this gangly bastiche right here, as per Sarna:

Posted Image

I actually think this is an interesting design with a lot of potential in MWO...but see the above for why we're never going to get even this thing right here that nobody really thinks of as a Marauder anyways.

Edited by 1453 R, 28 September 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#72 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Lawsuits are usually money sinks. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, what matters is who can sustain all the hassles and costs for it longer than the other.

#73 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

So many delicious pessimist tears in this thread.

Does optimism about getting a reseen marauder erode your soul?

Edited by Techorse, 28 September 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#74 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 September 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

They're NEVER adding any macross mechs to the game, under any circumstances, and they've repeatedly voiced that they're not interested in artistic licensing of classic mechs.
Before the uneducated masses spout about phoenix mechs, those aren't macross, but dougram.

https://www.youtube....d&v=2dpRHOApCWI

Posted Image

You'll NEVER see any of the following in MWO. List not inclusive.

Warhammer.
Crusader.
Wasp.
Stinger.
Phoenix hawk.
Osts.
Rifleman.
Marauder.
Archer.

The firebee is a potential stretch, but that's it. You can stop asking about these robots now.

With respect to the statement in bold: Public corprophagia is a terrible habit, please cease practicing it here.

There is no harm in asking, even if it is not likely or immediately feasible.

Threads like this will continue to arise until these mechs are in game, because for a particular segment of the commnuity, there is an abiding love and interest in these designs. I know for myself I would immediately buy up any packaged with additional "unseen" designs, because I want them in game and am willing to pay for them. Already have, as a Pheonix Overlord and Saber reinforcement purchaser.

I would rather try and lose than give it up entirely.

#75 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostMurphy7, on 28 September 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

There is no harm in asking, even if it is not likely or immediately feasible.

I agree.

#76 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

IIRC the last time it was brought tp Russ (the townhall meeting iirc) he said that they are gently poking that hornets nest every now and then (sounded like it was a annual event) to see if anything have changed.

Now we know for a fact that the situation is about as dire as it can get right now due to that at least two parts of the RT license is currently active and being used, One for a TT miniature game and one for the new animated series. Now this ofc give HG a even stronger legal ground to stand on as it is not a dormant license but rather one the is actively in use.

Now i am all for PGI creating a proxy but why spend time and money on that when you have a few hundred others mechs and variants to put in to the game first.

#77 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Well, we might even have a problem with the Jaegermech and the Hellbringer, if Harmony Gold really want's to push the limits.

#78 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

This looks good too, I wonder who could possibly have drawn it....
Posted Image

#79 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostIceSerpent, on 27 September 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

"Old Guard" are the only people who even know what a Marauder is, you can easily fool the rest of the playerbase by creating an oversized Shadow Hawk and naming it "Marauder". The big question is if it's not an original, why bother with it at all?

By the way, "reseen" Marauder is very ugly:

Posted Image

I actually really like the Re-seen variant.

#80 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Also remember that even Blizzard bowed to HG. One of the mech units from Starcraft was pulled for being to close to a HG mech

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users