Any Plans On A Persistant World?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Buggsy

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

After playing WWIIONLINE between 2001 and 2010, Planetside 1 and Planetside 2 off and on between 2004 and today, I find it difficult to enjoy lobby games.

To avoid the 2 primary problems that persist in MMOFPS (spawn camping and zerging) you introduce real-time-strategy style logistics, sort of like what you find in RTS games like Starcraft which is: the collection of raw materials, the building of the barracks and storage and manufacture of mechs to be spawned into by players. Tadaa, no more spawn camping and zerging.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

I agree this would be nice and indeed the idea is that Community Warefare will offer something simular to this, you conquer planets to change the map ot the Inner Sphere, possibly even eliminating a faction.

the Planatory conquest maps may have fixed structures and will come with the possibility to respawn once using additional owned mechs (you select 1 of each weight class before the start of the match, and when you die for the first time can chose another mech to continue the fight) but once the match is over the map is reset, if you loose you would be forced back to another area, so you may be up against a group of atackers a diferant map while if you win you would have forced the invaders back so would persue the enemy and likely be up against another group of attackers on a diferant map.

however with thousands of games launched per day I doubt it would be possible to e.g. chose where to place turretts or a repair bay, because the next time someone drops on that map (probabaly within a minute of your placing the structures) those structures could be destroyed, lets say they save that map varient till you next drop on it, how often will you get the exact same 12 people on your team, if 11 of your teammates drop without you would they be able to fight on that saved map and possibly ruin it for you?

it is a nice idea but on a multiplayer game with 12 people on each team I do not see how to make this viable

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Yes, there will be a persistent galaxy map on a 24-hour cycle.

No, there will not be in-match logistics.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 30 September 2014 - 09:28 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users