#1 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Following is a copy of an email I had to send to the support staff:

To whom it may concern at PGI/ IGP/ etc......

I HATE it.

No. Not the game. I am very excited for the game. I think you guys have done great things with the title and while you are not going to be able to please everyone, I think you guys have reached a happy balance. But that is just what I can tell from the forum posts.

I tried playing the beta. I dropped into 10-12 different games over the course of a 3 week period. I usually would not drop into more than 2 on a given night, because my system is so horribly out of date. It was a decent system 7-8 years ago, but today.............. My attempts to play have been comedic at best, pathetic most of the time, and at worst, completely unplayable. (If you guys look at my system info that I posted with the beta application, you may understand a little better why.)

I truly regret having to ask you guys for a refund of my founders pack. At this point, I feel I have held out as long as I can. I kept saying to myself, I will find work, some sort of work. I will be able to hold onto my founders pack and maybe even start putting a new budget gaming system together to actually support this game by testing/playing it. I kept hoping against hope that I would hear back from one of the many companies I have applied with; I mean after all, they were looking for help, right?

I will not give you the entire sad sob story, but the short version is this: I am out of work, but going to school part time with no financial assistance. My wife just had our second child, and while our son has been a huge blessing, he also requires that my wife cannot work for at least another month or so. We were fortunate with a hefty tax return this year, but as of the end of this month, it, with the rest of our meager savings, is gone. the proverbial straw on the camel's back came yesterday. I expressed my concerns to my wife about how we were going to survive the next month and apparently, she had already asked her sister, who has problems of her own, to lend us a few hundred dollars for next month. My wife did not ask me to, but I cannot in good conscience hold onto a purchase that I cannot even play with money we do not have. Not when the people around us are already sacrificing so much to help us stay afloat for just one more month.

Having to return my founders pack is the latest screaming dip into oblivion on my own personal roller coaster. I truly wanted to support the great work you guys are doing with something tangible. I really wanted to be more than a passive spectator on the forums for this. But I also really hope you guys can process a refund for me. I hope I am not too late.

Yours in (hopefully) Mech-driven carnage,

Scott S------
aka Monolith

I am not looking for a hand-out. I am not asking anyone for money or spare parts or anything like some of what I have seen from others with stories like mine. I will however, take a hand-up in place of a hand-out.

If there is anyone out there who has any freelance work I could do for them over the internet, I am your man. Data entry, freelance writing, virtual manure shoveling.... I am pretty hungry for anything to do right now that will keep my family afloat. If there is anyone in the Memphis, TN area who needs their grass cut or house-sitting while they take a cruise to the Bahamas. Whatever. Please send me a private message on the forums if you have anything. If needed, I can put together a resume if you have openings... But I really do not want a hand-out.

I do want this game.

I do want a to work.

#2 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

You might get better results searching your local newspapers classified section.

#3 GnawTsatyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFrog-humping you like a Jenner

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Dang. At first I was gonna troll about this possibly being in the wrong forum. Now I just... Man... That sux...

#4 spiffy guy

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Good luck with your refund, mate. If at first they refuse: be persistent, be a bit pushy but don't be a ****. It'll work out... you'll be eating my Hunchie's A/C 20 soon B)

#5 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Gets expensive to stay with the world. I mean technology wise. That goes with music, VHS, cassettes, vinyl records, DVDs, games, Atari, Vic-20, floppy disks, computers, phones.yeah. Gets expensive, and can get tiring spending money, wishing to save. Do not want to spend anymore, but then a game comes out....and...

#6 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Here's hoping you get your refund, and find a jorb.

#7 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

View Postspiffy guy, on 28 August 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Good luck with your refund, mate. If at first they refuse: be persistent, be a bit pushy but don't be a ****. It'll work out... you'll be eating my Hunchie's A/C 20 soon :)

Shouldn't be a problem actually. I've seen them post in another thread that they'd give refunds. Seems the folks at PGI are aware of the troubles of the world, and are more than happy to wait for when peoples lives are in the up-swing motion.

Sux Monolith, hope you find something.

Edited by Monsoon, 28 August 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#8 Voodoo Circus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

= (
best of luck mate

#9 Nuesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFreudenberg

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

I hope everything will get back in the right ways for you mate.

I salute you!

#10 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostExilyth, on 28 August 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

You might get better results searching your local newspapers classified section.

Yeah, I almost put a disclaimer to that effect that I do take the Sunday paper precisely for that reason. Not much lately in the paper classifieds. I have better luck with online sources these days. Also I have been checking with the temp agencies in the last week or so. Some of those seem promising, even though they are usually short term situations. I have been looking almost anywhere I can think of. I had an interview with Cosco on Monday, but it will probably be the end of the week at earliest before I hear back from them. Am excited at that prospect because Cosco is one of those companies that treats their people like, well, people. Having worked at Best Buy through two holiday seasons, that is a refreshing idea. (No offense to those of you who work at Best Buy...)

Anyhow, I figured it could not hurt putting one more set of feelers out.

I appreciate the concern and support that has come my way.

Also, by way of update, I received this final reply from the support staff earlier today:

Greetings M. Scott S------,

As a measure of goodwill, your request for a refund has been approved and has been processed today. It normally takes about 24 hours for our Payment Solution Provider to process it and it should be completed at the most in about 10 business days.

Regards,

Invictus
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™ Customer Support

I really cannot say enough about how awesome it is to have a company that takes care of people, even in small ways like this. They did not have to give me back my purchase, but they are doing so. So returning their goodwill in kind, I am spreading the gospel of MWO.

To those of you who are on the fence and have the means... Get a founders pack. Everything I have seen and heard has said to me that this is a company doing things right. We want them around. We need to support them.

Thanks to everyone so far for your support and your kind words. It really is a salve for my troubles to read words of support. The other reason I love this game is because it has consistently proven to have the most awesome player base of any online community I have ever seen. Truly.

#11 MasterofBlasters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 477 posts
  • LocationYou'd like to know that wouldn't you?

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

No job and multiple children, I've seen that too many times... My heart goes out to you and your family.

#12 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostBarg12, on 29 August 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

No job and multiple children, I've seen that too many times... My heart goes out to you and your family.

Life's a lot harder & more expensive with kids, but they're not the result of a ****** hand.

Monolith you might wanna try some kind of birth control. Don't make problems you can't afford. You seem like a pretty literate guy. Moreso than most of the fucktards cruising around the internet, and I must say very very impressive for somewhere like Tenessee. Your country **** all over itself in 2008. It doesn't sound like the situation you put yourself in is a "blessing" to me. You sound like you're one step away from the sidewalk with a cup in your hand. Smarten up & organize your life responsibly like an adult is supposed to & don't **** off more than you can chew.

I am a fan of the truth, no matter what it may be & I don't know what it is here, but one thing everyone can afford is a sob story when they need one. The situation you described above, in no way as I see it, absolves you of the situation. You thought that a 7-8 year old system would run a CryEngine 3 game that will be FTP so you spent money on it anyway even though you're jobless with a 2nd baby on the way? There's a serious deficiency of forethought here that I've only ever seen in people that can not articulate a message to an audience nearly as well as you do. I know it's not impossible, but it's at least a bit odd. Everyone makes mistakes, but that is a seriously faulty thought process, unless I'm missing something?

Call me an ******* if you want, but the truth is still the truth even if it's ugly (if it is what you say it is). I wonder what you'd say about PGI if they decided differently. Maybe PGI wondered the same. Maybe after you got a taste of it you just decided you'd rather wait for open beta? Only one of us knows the truth.

If you bought more than a Veteran then I would've suggested that they downgraded you. If you only bought a Veteran then I really have to wonder how far someone who should have the kind of income necessary to support a family of four, thinks $30 stretches nowadays.

I hope we see you in the game someday. Good luck & props to PGI on that one.

Edited by Freeride Forever, 29 August 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#13 GreenNonic

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

you mean i can get a refund?

#14 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

I dont know man...I have some sympathy for you but at the same time, if you knew your computer was dated {I find it hard to believe no one with a semi dated computer wouldnt read the requirements} AND you were out of work, did you feel when you actually paid for this that it would be "ok"?
Seems to me you paid more for the hope of something you truly cant afford.
I know this seems harsh, and I dont mean to be, all the same taking the devils advocate, this is a business.
At the same time, consider this an investment. I am sure your lifes situations wont be like this forever, and when you ARE able to return...you still are a founder.

Edited by LordRush, 29 August 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#15 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

I will not express myself on some of the comments you have received. People always give plentiful advice especially when non required.

Congratulations for your kid, and I do wish that everything will work out for you and your loved ones!

Do keep strong, can't wait to meet you on the battlefield.

#16 Greyeye

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

@Monolith
Good luck with job search, and childrens are true blessings of the world.

#17 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Wow. A game developer with a heart. I'm glad I went all out to support PGI. Bought three Founder's packs - a legendary for me, and two elite packs for my two brothers whose finances are rather strained at this time.

Good luck too, Monolith. Hope you find a job before the Founder's program is closed.

Edited by Adeptus Odren, 29 August 2012 - 02:08 AM.

#18 Mota Prefect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 634 posts
  • LocationAboard Sheep Star 1 Battleship - Location Classified

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:29 AM

All I can say is buyers remorse bro. It's not PGI's fault you decided to buy the founders package knowing your machine is 7-8 years old. Sorry to hear you're hurting, but pretty much everyone is at this point. :D

#19 littlejohn33

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationPhilippines/US.MO

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

I can feel for ya bro. Hang in there. Hope you find some work soon. I can really relate wish I could afford a Founders pack too especially a level to get a Mech that can get extra credits I can imagine how much of a boost that is.

My wife is due in Nov. with our 4th so I can relate budget is tight here too. Our internet cafe is doing ok but cant afford decent computers either. My personal computer barely meets the min for a CPU after I overclock it (C2D 2.33 OCed to 2.67). So no way we can play this game on the rental computers (Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds).

Just out of curiosity what are your system specs?

#20 CGB Kilbourne

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Monolith.

Go here:

http://careers.conve...AHApplyNow.aspx

I'm not a Convergys rep or anything, but my fiance went through this process and ended up working at a branch because work was readily available. This place has a high turnover rate, which is good for good workers and bad for bad workers. They pay in the $8 to $9 an hour range, but if you work at home, you don't have lunch/gas/clothing/laundry expenses.

If you want help with your resume, private message me with your email address and I'll take a look at it.

Do you have a bachelor's degree?
Do you know how to use computers and programs such as SAP, Maximo, Primavera 6?

If so I might be able to get you something.

P.S. I'm the CEO of a consulting company, so you're not going to be sending your resume to be looked at my a basement-living-nerd.

P.P.S. Two years ago I was homeless and alone and I got help from a friend. Now I'm making six figures and engaged to a beautiful woman. Sometimes we all just need a help.

*I posted this here because I have no idea how to send a PM...

Edited by Richard Sharpe, 29 August 2012 - 06:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users