#81 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostKassatsu, on 02 October 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

Why does everything in that screenshot look so much better than anything released in the past 2 years?

Dual core optimizations.

#82 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 02 October 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

Posted Image

Ancient robots.

I forgot the game use to look that good. :(

#83 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

Why does everything in that screenshot look so much better than anything released in the past 2 years?

This is not the thread for that (make one, perhaps) but that question came up during the townhall. I believe the answer was something like, "The graphics were not better back then"

#84 Kirkland Langue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 02 October 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

No, that was because the 3 second jenner could melt an atlas from the back if we had 2.0 dubs.

Using 3 small lasers and 3 medium lasers.

That's because the rate of fire is so much faster than TT, where the loadouts come from.

True doublesinks, with true TT DPS, would be a significant nerf to those lights simply because other mechs would be able to really use more firepower and the lights would have to remain engaged for longer periods of time to bring their damage.

Edited by Kirkland Langue, 02 October 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#85 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

LOSTECH

#86 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 02 October 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

I forgot the game use to look that good. :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Things were different back then.

#87 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:17 PM

You know.. that Hunchback-4P was so meta guys... 9 medium lasers... completely OP...

Right guys?

Somehow, this magically explains how 3 or more LL invokes ghost heat...

#88 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 02 October 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

You know.. that Hunchback-4P was so meta guys... 9 medium lasers... completely OP...

Right guys?

Somehow, this magically explains how 3 or more LL invokes ghost heat...

Well, you see, it's like how if you stack a couple large LRM launchers on a robot. Now you'll generate voodoo heat.
But if you stack the same tubes total using small launchers, then you don't.

#89 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 02 October 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Well, you see, it's like how if you stack a couple large LRM launchers on a robot. Now you'll generate voodoo heat.
But if you stack the same tubes total using small launchers, then you don't.

Speaking of...

I wonder if it's occurred to them that the only reason that a CPLT-A1 qualifies as a Tier 3 over the C1 and C4 is because of Voodoo Heat.

#90 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

Pretty much the only difference is current game models are a little gritty, more texture, less sheen, as well as this sorta film grain dithering thats over everything.

The other changes are font choices (Whyyyyyy) And the mini-map got ugly. All the LITTLE changes add up to a noticeable effect.

The models still are GOOD, the stock texturing is just... It's like in an attempt to be GRITTY, it ended up looking messy?

Also, THIS:

Posted Image

Still looks pretty frikken great.

EDIT: Will Complain about VCRs and The PPC barrels though. Not everything is golden.

Edited by Cavale, 02 October 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#91 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,604 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:34 PM

Here is an interesting tidbit, the AWS-8Q and AWS-9Q are almost heat neutral builds in TT; but in MWO, if trying to alpha, would 73.6 points of heat. Now that is 30-40 points of FLD.

The Dire Wolf Laser Vomit build in TT overheats by 12 points and has one more heat sink than at least my own variant (I run 2 extra tons of Gauss and a TComp MKI instead of 2 tons of armor and a DHS), yet is able to put out over twice that damage and generate 58 heat which is way cooler than the 4 PPC Awesome.

Edit: smurfy has weird heat cap values (Im assuming it doesnt account for the base 30 you get), so I had to correct some things.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 02 October 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#92 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

Treating the symptom is not treating the problem.

#93 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Speaking of tabletop for a second, I do like the timing and name of the 2013 BattleTech boxed game, "Alpha Strike."

#94 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 02 October 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

Here is an interesting tidbit, the AWS-8Q and AWS-9Q are almost heat neutral builds in TT; but in MWO, if trying to alpha, would overheat by 20 points. Now that is 30-40 points of FLD.

The Dire Wolf Laser Vomit build in TT overheats by 12 points and has one more heat sink than at least my own variant (I run 2 extra tons of Gauss and a TComp MKI instead of 2 tons of armor and a DHS), yet is able to put out over twice that damage and only bring it to around 70% heat which is obviously cooler than the Awesome.

Insert meme relating to game balance here.

#95 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

View PostChronojam, on 02 October 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

Speaking of tabletop for a second, I do like the timing and name of the 2013 BattleTech boxed game, "Alpha Strike."

But, Chrono, alpha strikes are the devil, and totally not a thing in the tabletop. That's why it's necessary to design a system that prohibits its use.

It's like, man, next you'll tell me that the whole concept of an alpha strike was ported to games like warhammer 40k, fantasy, infinity, and warmachine, or something. It's not like it's a simple way to use all your forces to attack a single point in the opponent's lines at once, or anything.

#96 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

I'm all for this...and allow ECM on all mechs while we're at it.

View PostSaxie, on 02 October 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

I think a few missed the point of the OP lol.

Hahaha...seriously.

View PostKiiyor, on 02 October 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

With gentle finesse, Stalkerdude coaxed his crosshairs until they pointed just over the heart of his target. Muttering a final prayer to the gods of convergence, he squeezed the trigger. Half a heartbeat later, 6 recently buffed azure blobs of death screamed out over the landscape and impacted spectacularly in the general area he was aiming at. With a comically large hole in its chest, the enemy Hunchback toppled slowly to the ground.

Stalkerdude cheered jubilantly as the sudden heatspike caused the paint to peel from his mech. A heartbeat later, the crippling heat overwhelmed the piteous attempt at containment made by his not-quite-double heat sinks, and his giant walking phallus offered one final whining groan before it shut down... as Stalkerdude knew it would.

You can't be a member of the hexa club without being prepared.

First things first; extinguisher. Most hexa pilots panicked the first time they caught fire, but for Stalker dude it was old-hat.

With a resigned sigh, Stalkerdude then flipped the catch on his harness and reached for the duffel he had packed earlier. Passport, spare clothes, three days of food and water were all as he left them, but he checked them again anyway out of habit.

Stepping to the rear of his cockpit, he threw the internal locks on his boarding hatch, and stepped out into outside air that was still oppressively warm despite the near freezing ambient temperatures. Careful to avoid direct contact with any still glowing surfaces, he gingerly made his way down the boarding ladder on his mech and stepped off, his boots crunching through sand that had been blast heated to glass, or 'Alpha glass' as his fellow hexa pilots referred to it.

Any other pilot in the same situation would likely have run sprinting for cover at that stage, as the battle still raged fiercely around him, but Stalkerdude was more than familiar with this kind of danger. Familiar enough to have bred contempt for it. Whistling a jaunty tune he had picked up after his last alpha strike, he set off in a bee line towards the spaceport his lance had arrived at only hours before.

The return trip took three days, but he wasn't in a hurry. He passed the time on his trek using his ancient six shooter to fill the local wildlife with holes, fantasising that the almost-squirrels he was dispatching were goons, and cheering in particular delight whenever he managed to bring down any of the local bird life. "EAT LEAD, LOWTAX!" he would cheer, then chuckle at his own cleverness.

Eventually, he walked into the spaceport, bypassing the front desk, as he had purchased his ticket in advance. He was excited; it was a long time since he'd last been to Solaris.

Months passed, and turned into years. Eventually though, his chrono beeped at him, telling him it was time. So he returned.

He traced a return path that almost exactly traced his boot prints from before. He was mildly surprised to see that some of the bird carcasses remained. Big suckers, he thought, but seeing their bones still made him chuckle.

All too soon, he was back at the foot of his mech, with the original battle still bizarrely raging around him. He tucked a picture into his pocket, and as he began to climb, the faces of his new children and beautiful wife warmed him almost as much as the still hot armor plating on his mech.

Settling into his command couch, he fastened his harness just as ol' Betty informed him that heat was back below shutdown levels, and settled his mind back into war mode as his displays flickered to life around him.

An instant after his HUD appeared a priority target was designated; there was a Centurion less than four hundred meters from him, STANDING STILL. Mentally chastising himself for using capital letters (even in his own head), he nonetheless coaxed his crosshairs into place, a familiar excitement building in him as he took half a breath and held it before he gently squeezed the trigger...

And missed.

With a dramatic sigh, he rolled his eyes (which is difficult to do when their moisture has been flash-evaporated) and reached for his duffel again. He had heard that Luthien was lovely this time of year.

Posted Image

#97 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

Without pinpoint convergence, there would be no reason to use the 6PPC Stalker whatsoever. How can two arms without lower actuators converge at a single point is beyond my imagination. If you were encouraged to chainfire in order to hit what you want you would quickly discover that 2-3 PPCs are far more heat efficient (and you don't have to use an XL engine).

Let's think how the game would change if the weapons were only able to shoot straight out their mounts? This would spread the damage a bit, lower the TTK, help the light mechs survive longer. It would further differentiate the mechs from one another. 4 energy hardpoints in the arm or the WVR-6K is a dumb idea in the current meta, but with this new convergence system it would be a significant advantage.

Edited by Kmieciu, 02 October 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#98 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

I do love that we have 2 heat scales in MWO.

The thing showing you the % of heat = heat scale.
Ghost heats official name = heat scale.

#99 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

View PostTank Boy Ken, on 02 October 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

I do love that we have 2 heat scales in MWO.

The thing showing you the % of heat = heat scale.
Ghost heats official name = heat scale.

That's not a heat scale, but a mana bar.

Gotta wait for it to reach the proper levels before you can perform your ulti, brah.

#100 merz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:36 AM

yo, quixote.. don't you ever get tired of tilting them windmills?

edit: i addressed that to chronojam, but .. ah, i guess the gang is all here.
how is your game coming along, vassago? looking at this exchange between you,
roadbeer and chrono here almost makes my eyes mist with nostalgia for the days when
people considered you lot relevant.

do not go gentle into that good night!

Edited by merz, 03 October 2014 - 01:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users