Challenges Are Fun And All... But

18 replies to this topic

#1 Mazerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationIn Your Periphery Stealin Your Planets

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

Matches like this are seriously not making this a fun weekend to pilot an IS medium. If this only happened a few times sure but nearly every match Ive played has been similar mech wise.
Posted Image
Granted we won but as you can see it wasnt due to me :P

Edited by Mazerius, 04 October 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#2 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

The worst thing about this challenge is that you had to win as a team.

You could play the best game ever and it counts for nothing because the ELO has matched you with a crowd of derps.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

View PostMazerius, on 04 October 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Challenges Are Fun And All... But

I personally think the fun factor drops a lot whenever there is a challenge around. Grinding for stats is never fun for me. Even though I get that short burst of e-peen since I usually am placed in top 50 of my mech class, it is really not a swimmingly experience.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 October 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#4 Mazerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

Just gets frustrating trying to play a medium and you end up being up against mostly heavies/assaults, I figure its a lot of folks trying to get the easy 10m rather than place on the tourney score board but meh, gets old.

#5 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

View PostMazerius, on 04 October 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Just gets frustrating trying to play a medium and you end up being up against mostly heavies/assaults, I figure its a lot of folks trying to get the easy 10m rather than place on the tourney score board but meh, gets old.

Exactly this. With Kills/Damage being key contributors to get your 130 points towards the 10M C-Bills, Heavies and Assaults are generally what players are running. Most games I've been in have been 2-2-4-4, weighted towards the heavier side.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

Matches like this are seriously not making this a fun weekend to pilot an IS medium. If this only happened a few times sure but nearly every match Ive played has been similar mech wise.
Posted Image

Stop complaining. IS mediums are faring much better than Clan lights in this tourney. :(

Edited by Mystere, 04 October 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#7 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

I normally play Locusts.

This weekend, that is out. Not only have I been TK'd twice, I've seen about six other TKs because folks are so focused on GETTING THAT KILL, SCORE SCORE SCORE.

These bring out the worst folks. The folks that tell you to "grow a pair" after they shoot you in the back or make incredibly off colour comments.

You can get there; just play a bit sneakier. think about where you're going, how your opponent will most likely react. Set up ambushes if you can. And for gods sake, flood the Comms. Not even kidding. Just, whenever you can, unless there's someone on your team directing the flow of battle, spam chatter on the all speak. Bad song lyrics, questions about the game, anything; It stops them from seeing what their teammates are saying if they have All chat on.

Keep trying though.

#8 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 October 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

I personally think the fun factor drops a lot whenever there is a challenge around.

Very much this.

So much so, that I actually avoid playing at all on challenge weekends.

#9 Mazerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostMystere, on 04 October 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Stop complaining. IS mediums are faring much better than Clan lights in this tourney. :(

How clan lights are fairing doesnt invalidate the complaint, besides this wasnt about "Teh Leader Boardz" its was a comment on my lack of enjoyment of lopsided matches.

#10 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

Posted Image

I think you're being a bit negative.The several matches I've played this weekend have stood out in both quality of play and quality of matchmaking. Challanges like these bring the players out. More players = better matchamaking = more even games.

Lots of games where damage distribution was even and high on both teams. I found myself working quite hard to crack 700 damage, because everyone was playing so much better. In usual PUG matches it's quite easy to do in a heavy mech as long as I don't derp around or it's a super fast steamroll.

But that's just my impression, and to be fair I only played some 8-9 games this weekend.

View PostCavale, on 04 October 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

This weekend, that is out. Not only have I been TK'd twice, I've seen about six other TKs because folks are so focused on GETTING THAT KILL, SCORE SCORE SCORE.

This is a problem with the leaderboard itself, as I think kills are valued too high. I never can figure out why they simply don't use Match Score to rank people. It seems to represent the value of a player in a match quite well.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 05 October 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#11 Mazerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostCavale, on 04 October 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

I normally play Locusts.

I love my locusts ;) was just trying to lvl up my C9 AL and have a little fun, all the "super srs face" players make that harder hah, on the flipside I decided to run my kitfox after that and ran around narcing people for lols, narcs seem to bring out the tears ;)

#12 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:15 AM

View Poststjobe, on 04 October 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Very much this.

So much so, that I actually avoid playing at all on challenge weekends.

The PGI tourneys have always been bad

You either play 24/7 the whole time and dont sleep or you dont win

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 05 October 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#13 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:36 AM

The fun goies to hell when there is a challenge. Suddenly all the LRM and powerboats which usually drop in group cues come into solo cues and ruin a casual players day.

#14 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 04 October 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

This is a problem with the leaderboard itself, as I think kills are valued too high. I never can figure out why they simply don't use Match Score to rank people. It seems to represent the value of a player in a match quite well.

So much this.

#15 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

Really? I'd just settle for some teams who can actually win.

Posted Image

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 October 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

No kidding! I thought I would finish off my Kitfoxes this weekend, and man it's been rough. There's so much firepower being thrown around that you lose an arm or a leg everytime anyone bothers to actually shoot at you. It's been a real rough weekend for MWO so far, and I'm the top 20. :X

#17 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

Medium mechs in general have little or no role in MWO. Heavies are just a fast for the most part, and lights carry just as much firepower and nearly as much armor. There simply is no niche, no advantage to playing a medium.

#18 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

View Postaniviron, on 05 October 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

No kidding! I thought I would finish off my Kitfoxes this weekend, and man it's been rough. There's so much firepower being thrown around that you lose an arm or a leg everytime anyone bothers to actually shoot at you. It's been a real rough weekend for MWO so far, and I'm the top 20. :X

Well, my comment was more about the tourney than anything else.

But so far, and for me anyway, it's been a great weekend for leveling my Kit Foxes. The queue wait times are mostly in the seconds compared to the 2+ minutes I have been experiencing before that while leveling my Mad Dogs and Summoners.

It's indeed rough and can get really brutal in-game right now as a light if you're trying to do the tourney. But leveling is another thing altogether for me. It might even go faster if I just quit the match immediately after death instead of staying put and spectating. :D

#19 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:51 AM

When is there a time to be a medium IS pilot? Seriously. You gotta love pain to drive them so weird to see someone complaining when you get what you want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users