• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRight behind you...

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostWrayeth, on 27 June 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

That story is seriously epic. I can't imagine how gratifying it must've been to pull that off and know that you turned a situation that was meant to be hopeless into what was, by all measures I would care to use, a win.

One thing bothers me a bit, though. You see, I live in the Phoenix area and play a monthly Battletech campaign game whose players range in age from 15 through 60-something, and some of the older players used to own a game store. :P

I don't think these are the people in question, thankfully, as I haven't seen anything even slightly unsportsmanlike out of them. :blink:

Well, there are a lot of ex-game store owners around here (we have a lot of closed down gaming businesses in the valley). If it -is- them, you won't hear anything nice about me. They tended to ignore the details of that scenario, when describing it to other people, in favor of smearing me as some cowardly player who couldn't game for poo. "The Marauder II, hiding behind a hill!" They howled about that. (Never mind there was about two million angry clan mechs with superior tech/piloting/gunnery thundering along open terrain. That detail isn't important, of course). It's been 21 years, though; maybe they've grown up since then.

I wouldn't want to be around them either way. Once was enough.

#42 Pandy

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

That was just an outstanding story! I never had the honor to take part in tabletop back then, nor now since I lack the time now of days. Since I came across Mechwarrior Online, I've seen and read many stories so far and been getting quite an education. However, your story painted such a great picture of the battlegrounds that I had a moment of emotional attachment, just feeling, as though, I was in your shoes.

I look forward to us taking part in many future battles to come.

#43 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostRush Maguin, on 27 June 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

You do have a point there, Amarus. FYI, I was a Smoke Jaguar myself until they were annihilated. I loved playing the villain. After that I went Jade Falcon but I was a Jag at heart for years.

See that is part of the problem Clan Smoke Jaguar is not some saturday morning cartoon bad buy clan, that is what twilight of the clans had them painted as but fighting with other jags, even getting to know legit FASA Jaguars, that just was not the case. The Inner Sphere wanted a bad guy, we got chosen, so when the kicked the snot out of us (no clan can win alone against the entire military of the IS) what was written was from their eyes. So we get painted as super evil, my character is much more dynamic than that.

View PostFireNova, on 27 June 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Whos to say that the now released Fidelis cannot re-embrace their heritage Amarus? Are you serious in saying that despite reading about their history that they will REFUSE to accept who they are?

Fire we have been over this ten thousand times, I recognize what the story was saying, I just refuse to accept and live with that, if that is my only choice then I died on the battlements of the Great Pyramid, our Genetic Repository.

#44 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostRush Maguin, on 27 June 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

As I stated to someone above, I actually -was- Smoke Jaguar as my Clan affiliation until they were annihilated, then switched over to Jade Falcon. :) And the Jags -did- slaughter all of these people on Turtle Bay. That was a main sticking point at the Whitting Conference, after all...

Yes, the Jaguars are indeed responsible for Londerholm and Turtle Bay and a number other areas they poorly tried to control which led to tragic results and hence a loss of respect not to mention alot of hatred for CSJ.

But why should this mean that the Word of Blake/Comstar should be excused for nuking multiple planets and establishing re-education camps and keeping Star League technology out of the hands of the Successor States to prevent the improvement of the standard of living for the average Inner Sphere citizen not to mention using ROM agents to assassinate anyone with any knowledge to repair infrastructure or lostech just so they can remain the dominant force in the Inner Sphere through HPG media control/blackouts? ^_^ And if anyone so much as tries to question let alone challenge their authority....well...you know how that ends up....

You say you are loyal to House Davion on the Inner Sphere side of things. Well then how would you feel about ComStar using an HPG blackout to prevent your House from taking what was left of the Capellan Confederation just because it was in the interests of ComStar to keep the "status quo" from falling apart and preventing a united Inner Sphere under a more benevolent Davion rule? (Assuming the Davions would not become the "next ComStar" should they have succeeded in conquering the Inner Sphere). The Capellan Confederation was pretty much done for but ComStar intervened and gave the Liaos a chance to strike back. Wouldn't be surprised if ComStar secretly gave them a bit of lostech which might explain why the Liaos suddenly get electronic warfare capabilities on their military equipment like the Raven for example despite losing half of their territory/planets not to mention more than half of their industrial base.

Oh and the NAIS group that Davion had was a HUGE threat to ComStar supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Once again, anything that could restore the Inner Sphere to prosperity WITHOUT ComStar/Word of Blake's guiding holy hand was to be destroyed so that the "status quo" could be maintained.

So you see Rush, there are always two sides to the coin. The crucial thing that most people miss is this: Which of the two is the greater evils? A somewhat extreme conservative Crusader Clan that is harsh towards civilians and has strict laws or a technological/religious order that has no qualms about using WMDs on the citizens of the Inner Sphere as well as eliminating anyone who has any technological know-how in the Successor States so they can dominate the House Lords and use them as puppets/tools and pit them against each other? You make the call. B)

#45 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 28 June 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

See that is part of the problem Clan Smoke Jaguar is not some saturday morning cartoon bad buy clan, that is what twilight of the clans had them painted as but fighting with other jags, even getting to know legit FASA Jaguars, that just was not the case. The Inner Sphere wanted a bad guy, we got chosen, so when the kicked the snot out of us (no clan can win alone against the entire military of the IS) what was written was from their eyes. So we get painted as super evil, my character is much more dynamic than that.

Fire we have been over this ten thousand times, I recognize what the story was saying, I just refuse to accept and live with that, if that is my only choice then I died on the battlements of the Great Pyramid, our Genetic Repository.

The Original Jags did have it going on. You should tell us about your character...!

View PostFireNova, on 28 June 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Yes, the Jaguars are indeed responsible for Londerholm and Turtle Bay and a number other areas they poorly tried to control which led to tragic results and hence a loss of respect not to mention alot of hatred for CSJ.

But why should this mean that the Word of Blake/Comstar should be excused for nuking multiple planets and establishing re-education camps and keeping Star League technology out of the hands of the Successor States to prevent the improvement of the standard of living for the average Inner Sphere citizen not to mention using ROM agents to assassinate anyone with any knowledge to repair infrastructure or lostech just so they can remain the dominant force in the Inner Sphere through HPG media control/blackouts? :) And if anyone so much as tries to question let alone challenge their authority....well...you know how that ends up....

You say you are loyal to House Davion on the Inner Sphere side of things. Well then how would you feel about ComStar using an HPG blackout to prevent your House from taking what was left of the Capellan Confederation just because it was in the interests of ComStar to keep the "status quo" from falling apart and preventing a united Inner Sphere under a more benevolent Davion rule? (Assuming the Davions would not become the "next ComStar" should they have succeeded in conquering the Inner Sphere). The Capellan Confederation was pretty much done for but ComStar intervened and gave the Liaos a chance to strike back. Wouldn't be surprised if ComStar secretly gave them a bit of lostech which might explain why the Liaos suddenly get electronic warfare capabilities on their military equipment like the Raven for example despite losing half of their territory/planets not to mention more than half of their industrial base.

Oh and the NAIS group that Davion had was a HUGE threat to ComStar supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Once again, anything that could restore the Inner Sphere to prosperity WITHOUT ComStar/Word of Blake's guiding holy hand was to be destroyed so that the "status quo" could be maintained.

So you see Rush, there are always two sides to the coin. The crucial thing that most people miss is this: Which of the two is the greater evils? A somewhat extreme conservative Crusader Clan that is harsh towards civilians and has strict laws or a technological/religious order that has no qualms about using WMDs on the citizens of the Inner Sphere as well as eliminating anyone who has any technological know-how in the Successor States so they can dominate the House Lords and use them as puppets/tools and pit them against each other? You make the call. ^_^

Actually? I figured -everyone- in Battletech was evil to some degree, including House Davion - known to be the aggressor in most of the wars for Succession (and the war of '39) that came down the pipeline. That's a lot of blood for one royal family to wear. As for the Jags, they were deliberately constructed by Stackpole (who's openly said this) to be the most ruthlessly evil of the Clans in preparation for the second star league storyline. They were a properly scary clan, and one of the strongest, until they got wiped and the Jihad came upon us.

The jihad I consider karmic debt for the entire Battletech universe. They had -all- done wrong, they had -all- been warmongers in search of power, they had -all- freely made violence upon their neighbors and in some cases, themselves, or in the Clans' case, being purveyors of war and chaos and destruction (even if it was in their finite scale, it still came to the I.S.). I don't personally believe there's a truly heroic faction in the Battletech universe. Steiner eventually villainized against Davion (pretty openly, Katrina was no picnic), Davion was the aggressor for all of those wars, Kurita had Kentares IV to answer for if nothing else, Marik turned in on itself and eventually collapsed from internal power struggles (having their own problems with a civil war of sorts early in the canon) and House Liao...well, they're House Liao. That's a long list.

Nobody is -really- a hero in B.T. except for the lone mechwarrior who strives against the odds to hold thje line for king and country (and all the heroics that might go with it). I've never felt anyone in BAttletech was overwhelmingly good, even in spite of Stackpole's work. It's that they're varying shades of evil.

#46 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

View PostRush Maguin, on 28 June 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

The Original Jags did have it going on. You should tell us about your character...!

Maybe one day I will :)

But it is a very long story.

#47 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 28 June 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

Maybe one day I will :D

But it is a very long story.

Same here. I took that Marauder II pilot from that battle and wrapped an entire history around him just leading up to that fight. As history in B.T. rolled on over the years I added more and more by era to show what he'd been doing. I'd occasionally use him as an npc in campaigns I'd run. I've got quite the story built up there....I decided he dies in the jihad and paves the way for a new story in the Dark Age. He was sort of an "original era" character.

#48 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

View PostRush Maguin, on 28 June 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Same here. I took that Marauder II pilot from that battle and wrapped an entire history around him just leading up to that fight. As history in B.T. rolled on over the years I added more and more by era to show what he'd been doing. I'd occasionally use him as an npc in campaigns I'd run. I've got quite the story built up there....I decided he dies in the jihad and paves the way for a new story in the Dark Age. He was sort of an "original era" character.

My character was 'born' in 3050 on Huntress, a lot happens from there, but him and the campaign that he was a part of are the reason I will always say the Jaguar can never die.

#49 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

Details, lad. :D

#50 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Oh, let's not forget, before we get caught up in Jaguar Pride, the Nova Cats were on Luthien too. :D Just sayin'... :ph34r:

(Although I did always imagine the Clanners I killed there to be Jags.)

#51 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostRush Maguin, on 28 June 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

Oh, let's not forget, before we get caught up in Jaguar Pride, the Nova Cats were on Luthien too. :D Just sayin'... :ph34r:

(Although I did always imagine the Clanners I killed there to be Jags.)

Yes the Nova Cats were on Luthein, we were saddled with our most hated rival in all of the Clans to be our partner for invasion, I am sure the IlKhan in all of his wisdom saw nothing wrong with this at all. I am sure he saw us working sweetly together for the benefit of all. The fool knew well how horribly things would go for us to be saddled with the Nova Cats, and the Falcons to have the heavily warden Steel Vipers (they think only they know the way) pushed upon them. It is a miracle we even landed on Luthein, I could imagine grievances called against the Cats simply because they were involved.

#52 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

Amazing story. I haven't read most of the responses, so it's probably been said, but you're the type of gamer that I'm proud to be playing with/against. I don't know if I'm the same, but I try my damned best to be. Sportsmanship, respect, and levelheadedness are all great aspects to have, and I hope that I've demonstrated, and will demonstrate, the same qualities that you possess.

#53 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostLt Trevnor, on 28 June 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

Amazing story. I haven't read most of the responses, so it's probably been said, but you're the type of gamer that I'm proud to be playing with/against. I don't know if I'm the same, but I try my damned best to be. Sportsmanship, respect, and levelheadedness are all great aspects to have, and I hope that I've demonstrated, and will demonstrate, the same qualities that you possess.

You know Trev, it's not even that good sportsmanship is hard to master. Just so very few people practice it. When you're throwing dice with someone you're not at war with the guy on the other side of the table; you're playing the game to have fun, just like he is. You both have the same objective. People who take it too personally OOC are the bane of the entire hobby and they've done more than enough damage. All it really takes is to say "We're all here together" instead of "I will cut your throat at all costs!'

#54 Landeraxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 293 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostRush Maguin, on 23 June 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

I look forward to seeing you all out on the battlefield here on MWO. I’m thrilled Battletech is seeing a rebirth, especially with two incredible looking free to play games. It’ll be an honor to serve at you, or an honor to shoot at you. But if you’re here because you love Battletech, you’ve kept on with the game through thick and thin, you game to have fun and appreciate a challenge, you’re a brother or sister at arms and I am proud to know you. And if there’s ever a Battle of Luthien scenario in this game as the Clans come marching in, rest assured: I’ll be there one more time, weapons blazing. Good hunting, warriors.

Man, I hope you do show up on Luthien when the clan drops the hammer. It's going to be a tough fight, no doubt.

I'm guessing that you'll find better sportsmanship when this happens, in any case!

#55 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostLanderaxe, on 28 June 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Man, I hope you do show up on Luthien when the clan drops the hammer. It's going to be a tough fight, no doubt.

I'm guessing that you'll find better sportsmanship when this happens, in any case!

Thanks, Lander. :( I'm half considering going Kurita just so I can be on the Clan front again when it's all fresh. I wouldn't mind another stab at the Battle of Luthien now that I'm a grizzled old mechwarrior. ;P

#56 Tenrai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDeep in Davion controlled space aboard the Overlord class dropship Nobara

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Great story. Reminds me of the old Con days. Hope to meet you on the battlefield as well. Glad to see that the Warrior Spirit is still present in House Davion!

#57 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostTenrai, on 28 June 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Great story. Reminds me of the old Con days. Hope to meet you on the battlefield as well. Glad to see that the Warrior Spirit is still present in House Davion!

Next time you drink some Sake in Imperial City, remember there was a Davion who helped protect your realm... ;P

#58 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

I remember the scenario.

I helped host it at a very small local Con when it came out.

The drop ship was put in so that the Clan forces could use it to bring up reinforcements (there was supposed to be some left behind to represent the Clan bidding process) Using it to do strafing runs, even in a grand melee, was a pretty big no-no as far as Clan honor went (from what i was told).

When I served one match (we ran it 3 times over the weekend) as an adviser for the IS forces, I encouraged them to hid behind hills, and inside of buildings.

Edited by Beazle, 28 June 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#59 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostBeazle, on 28 June 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

I remember the scenario.

I helped host it at a very small local Con when it came out.

The drop ship was put in so that the Clan forces could use it to bring up reinforcements (there was supposed to be some left behind to represent the Clan bidding process) Using it to do strafing runs, even in a grand melee, was a pretty big no-no as far as Clan honor went (from what i was told).

When I served one match (we ran it 3 times over the weekend) as an adviser for the IS forces, I encouraged them to hid behind hills, and inside of buildings.

So it was a legit scenario? Straight from Fasa? Very interesting. That leads a little more cruelty to how they twisted it around. That dropship didn't drop off a single reinforcement - it hovered over the battlefield hosing down our side with all the clan weaponry in reach (naturally, everything it mounted). I don't think any of us would have minded more clan mechs jumping down - we were enjoying ourselves in spite of the cheating, for the most part - but a suddenly over-your-hide superarmored fire bunker cutting us off from the wounded clanners....well, I can think of some bloodnames that deserve a reaving!

#60 Drunken Firebat

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostRush Maguin, on 28 June 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

So it was a legit scenario? Straight from Fasa? Very interesting. That leads a little more cruelty to how they twisted it around. That dropship didn't drop off a single reinforcement - it hovered over the battlefield hosing down our side with all the clan weaponry in reach (naturally, everything it mounted). I don't think any of us would have minded more clan mechs jumping down - we were enjoying ourselves in spite of the cheating, for the most part - but a suddenly over-your-hide superarmored fire bunker cutting us off from the wounded clanners....well, I can think of some bloodnames that deserve a reaving!

What.

Aside from the hilarious breach of batchall and zellbringen, I'm not even sure you -can- hover a dropship like that for extended periods. Not even getting into the weapon arcs/sides issue...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users