Advice For Second Mech

12 replies to this topic

#1 Alex2160

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hi Readers!

I currently have a Jagermech (JM6-A), 4,500,000 C-bills, and a desire to purchase my second mech. I do not want to have to buy MC to get my second mech.

~

I've heard that mastering three of the same chassis is nice because of the multipliers to the basic perks, but I really think that more diversity would be fun (i.e. jump jets, ECM, speed... things that the Jagermech lacks).

I enjoy that the Jagermech-A lets me play a variety of roles--heavy ACs, LRMs and ER Large Lasers, short-range hitter, etc. However, I feel like the only real advantage of the other Jagermech chassis is that they can carry more than 2 ACs--which sounds fun--but I don't want another Jagermech right now.

~

Accordingly, here are the chassis I'm considering (and a brief note why):

Commando (CMD-2D) (ECM; speed; missiles; ability to TAG/NARC for team)
Spider (SDR-5D) (ECM; speed; jump jets; ability to TAG for team)
Blackjack (BJ-1) (ballistics hardpoints; jump jets; speedier than Jagermech; high weapon hardpoints)
Shadowhawk (SDH-2H) (ballistics hardpoints; jump jets; speedier than Jagermech; high weapons hardpoints)

Edit: I'd also like a mech that will allow me to use its engine in my Jagermech in a pinch; I only have the Standard 260 engine right now.

~

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any relevant input!

-Alex

Edited by Alex2160, 07 October 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

JM6-S or JM6-DD. Then the other. Really, double basic efficiencies are that important.

If you must switch chassis, SHD from your list. I started with COM-2D. Trust me. Don't. The BJ-1 and SDR-5D are both better mechs than it, but not beginner-friendly.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

you're not making it very easy!

4.5 million won't get you very far, a stock Shadowhawk will run you back 4.4 million (or 8 for the 5M which has an XL 275 included), and you should always consider DHS as part of your minimum kit for a mech. Shadowhawks do run in similar engine sizes to the Jager (such as 275s and 280s). I tend to run XL280s in my Shadowhawks but the xl275 stock in the Shadwhawk 5M is pretty useful(but outside your budget)

you could afford a Blackjack, but I don't consider them worth playing with their stock engine (I would instead run a xl 235 in mine which costs 3.8 million by itself) and thier engines are too small to make any sense swapping into a Jager.

Commando and Spiders don;t use engines anywhere close to that of a Jager, and while they are very cheap stock they perform best with a maximum rated XL engine, which is again going to costs millions.

#4 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Go for the JMA-S then the JMA- DD. after opening the basics on all three and the elites for each one, there will be a huge difference on how they handle. Almost like a new mech.

As far as engines, XL engines that you purchase in a mech are cheaper than purchasing a mech then purchasing the XL engine. I think the DD comes with a 260 XL, and can be useful in some lights and mediums.

I use the 280XL mostly in the Jagermechs, but with the 4 AC 5 or 2 ac2, 2 ac 5 builds you may want a 245 XL, 225 XL, 210XL or 200 XL.

One Thing to remember, look at the chassis variants and see if one has an XL engine. Most have that one with an XL and that is the cheapest way to get XL engines.

If you do change chassis the shadow hawk is can be changed up a lot. LRMs, SRMs, AC's and Lasers. The BJ is a little Jager at heart, but has the speed and most have Jumpjets which is a change. The shadow Hawk 5M will have a 275XL that can be used by the Jagers and weights the same as the 280 XL that I use in Jagers.

Hard choice finish out the jagers or start a new chassis. If you still have only 4 mech bays watch out for opportunities for earning another mech bay through challenges or participating in a test server. (that only happened once).

Look at your options, decide and have fun. eventually you may earn more free mech bays and decide to finish out the Jagers. With community warfare coming out and a new game mode with a drop ship of 4 mech, one of each weight class, it may be a benefit for you to have at least 12 mechs with 3 of one type so that you can at least have the elites in one chassis variant and even one from each weight class that is mastered.

Watch in December for a sale for MC. Then only had MC sales in December 2012 and December 2013.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

If you had more funds, Blackjack. All of your choices are gonna eat up what you have, though. You will want at least 6.5mil before experimenting with a light mech, maybe 7 to 9 mil for mediums. This is because double heatsinks and other things such as engines and weapon changes, you're bound to burn through funds pretty quick.

Build something with Smurfy and see how it goes.

You'll find most Blackjacks to be as slow to slower than Jagermechs, however.

A modest example of a Blackjack.
There's also the ever popular AC/20 BJ with 3 ML.
This is what the demonstrated build was based on.

The BJ1x.(the fast one).

Edited by Koniving, 07 October 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#6 Hospy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

I would have to go with the Shadow Hawk.

Both the lights you offered aren't particularly enjoyable to play until you have access to a large XL engine, which you simply don't have the money for at the moment. The commando in particular, the stock engine is very, very bad, you'll be running at basically medium mech speed. If you really feel the need to experience light mech action, you might as well play the trial Spider to make sure you absolutely want to play this sort of thing before splurging your money.

The Blackjack is basically a mini Jagermech, so I am of the opinion that if you want a different second mech, I wouldn't go for something very similar to it. Stock engine on the Blackjack is actually the same speed as the Jägermech.

Which leaves the shadow hawk, of which I can say it is faster than the Jagermech, and has jump jets, and plays a bit differently. Without double heat sinks you are going to be forced into running a ballistic/missile heavy load, but that's just life for the new player unfortunately.

Good luck!

#7 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostAlex2160, on 07 October 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Commando (CMD-2D) (ECM; speed; missiles; ability to TAG/NARC for team)

Nope.

Spider (SDR-5D) (ECM; speed; jump jets; ability to TAG for team)

Yep. Jenner and Firestarters are also great if you want to do more damage in your light but ECM spider is definitely fun to play if you want to be sneaky.

Blackjack (BJ-1) (ballistics hardpoints; jump jets; speedier than Jagermech; high weapon hardpoints)

That's the best BJ but with your experience with Jäger, Blackjacks will feel like the poor man's version of Jägers and you might be frustrated.

Shadowhawk (SDH-2H) (ballistics hardpoints; jump jets; speedier than Jagermech; high weapons hardpoints)

One can never go wrong with Shadowhawks.

#8 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

shadowhawk is an excellent mech indeed in all facets of play

btw, i know you said you dont want another jager mech but for what its worth getting 3 of the same chassis and getting your elite skills done on them thus giving you double basics makes a world of difference to each mech.

Edited by Summon3r, 07 October 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

If you want to try something new without spending $$ I would highly recommend doing it on a different account to make use of the cadet bonus. You will eventually want to elite your primary mechs (then sell the extras if you don't ever plan on purchasing mech bays). If you do intend to buy bays then I guess it's okay to buy it on your primary account.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

Those are poor choices. The Commando and Spider need instant engine changes to be viable. You don't have the cash for that.

The most popular Blackjack build is the (C) build so you might as well just use the trial mech.

The H Shadow Hawk is a lemon in my opinion. I would recommend the 2D or 2D2 instead.

Hunchbacks and Cicadas both easily accommodate a 260 STD.

With your budget I would chose one of the following

Griffin-1N
Centurion-AL
BJ-1X
BJ-3
Cicada-2A
Hunchback-4P
Hunchback-4SP
Shadow Hawk-2D2

#11 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:37 PM

Even if I can absolutely understand your desire to get more diversity instead of getting another chassis of the same mech completing Basis and Elite Trees makes a big difference. I'd stick with the Jager for the time being.

Otherwise.. the Spider and Shadowhawk are great Picks. Personally I wouldnt driver the Spider with a STD Engine and the only mech, of those you mentioned, which can fit your STD 260 is the Shadowhawk btw. Spider should make the biggest difference in gameplay.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

while you can purhase a Light or Medium Mech relitavely cheep, you will usualy be looking at an additional 5-8 million to do all the required upgrades, an XL engine costs between 4 and 6 miillion for the sizes you are likely to want million to get them properly setup, for example my favorate SDR-5D build (also my most used mech build)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a7ed71b42351750
it costs about 9.7 million cbills, has an ER Large Laser allowing it to take shots at the enemy from long range, it does not run too hot, and works well as a scout, capturer or ECM sheild for heavier mechs, the 2 MLs are for later stages of the game or for anti LRM boat use
here is a SDR-5D build within your budget
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7b38a7dce1f830f
note it is slower and has shorter range weapons, and only about half the firepower and despite the much reduced firepower it still runs hotter due to not having Double Heat Sinks. if you are OK with this then by all means purchase it.

Smurfy where I have linked into for the builds is a great site to plan your builds and work out how much things are going to cost, play arround with a few bilds and decide what looks good to you but if you have 4 million cbills and purchase a Mech costing 3.5 million may regret it as you will not be able to do much customisation.

if you are after a cheep medium look seriously at the Centurians and Hunchbacks, those 2 mechs tend to run better with standard engines and so will be much less expensive to outfit

#13 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:20 AM

Like some other's I'd advise to go through the grind and master your jagermech if you really anjoy it and plan to keep. A mastered mech for which you found a setup that best suits you andthat you decked out with modules will make you CBills real quick even on lost matches.

Anyhow if has to be another mech and one from your list I'd go for the Shadowhawk as it doesn't play awfully different to your Jagermech. And I really advise you to test trial versions of the light mehcs (when available) before shelling out hard earned CBills for them. Light mechs are hard to master and get good results in.

And should you decide to play longer term and that you are willing to give a little money I suggest you find out which weight class you like best and then get a Hero mech in that weight class that suits your prefered playstyle. The CBill bonus is a real time saver and in the long run it is a lot better priced than premium time that ticks down unused by 70%..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users