- - - - -

Looking For A Third Centurion

28 replies to this topic

#1 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hello, I am anticipating another Centurion in my garage in the upcoming weeks due to one of the customer award thingies.

Right now, I've got the A(c), which came from one of the events ages ago. It isn't really equipped to deal with some of the stuff out in the field right now but I do like to play mediums to cut down on wait time when I'm flying solo. Since the new Cent will come with a money bonus, I figure I might as well get it mastered. To do that, however, I'll need a third Centurion.

The options are:

Yen-Lo-Wang: Probably won't opt for this one. Costs MC and the Cent we'll be getting can equip an AC20 (with money bonus) anyway.

AL: No ballistics. Kinda wanna play with putting a Large Pulse or a PPC in that arm. What do you guys like to do with this mech? It seems like it'd be prone to heat issues.

D: Big engine range. The XL 300 is a very useful engine, though I already have one. Another might come useful if we get a dropship mode or multiple mech type of game. Costs a lot of cbills, cbills I'll need to scoop up the Stormcrows in a few weeks.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

get the AL.

#3 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:31 AM

AL is decent,and cheap,4 medium lasers and ARSM launchers or 2 ppc 2 medium lasers with xl engine should rake you decent xp.

D is the faster version of A

#4 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:46 AM

This is my -AL. Brawls like a don, and the LPL is actually a lot of fun in this build. Have had it this way basically since the end of R&R and the buff to the CN9's engine cap. 98kph and a decent alpha is a danger to any lone enemy (or, really, a group of enemies).

#5 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:56 AM

AL is fine if you're just looking for the chassis mastery, but it was definitely my least favorite of the bunch. I've seen it do well, but I thought it was hot and boring.

I recommend the CN9-D if you plan to keep all three mechs, but it needs some very expensive engines before it starts to be fun.
My favorite way to run it is with an XL385, like a better armored Jenner. I've also had some decent games with an XL335 and an AC/10. One of the most enjoyable mechs I've ever run, but again, really expensive.

#6 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:07 AM

dont get the yen lo, the free mech we're getting will be available for CBills at some point
I loved the A
only sold it to make room for something else back when they messed with SRM's, should have known at some point they'd fix that.
lots of fun

play for fun, skill and big scores comes later
IF the mech is NOT fun, you'll never, ever do well in it.

#7 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:56 AM

I love 2 of the 3 centurions I own. The AL and the A(c) both utilize an XL-275 engine. The A(c) is a harrasser with an AC2, ERLL and triple SSRM2. Does something at all ranges. The AL provides excellent support with 2 Lrm10 and has nasty close range punch in the form of 4ML. I'm thinking of sellnig the D after Mastering it though I might just keep it if ever I get a really big XL engine to try it out with, my XL-300 experiment I considered a horrible failure.

#8 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

Wait for free AH variant!

#9 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 08 October 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Wait for free AH variant!

... He is already waiting. He is going to get the AH, and has the A(C), and wants a third so he can Elite/Master them.

#10 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 08 October 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

... He is already waiting. He is going to get the AH, and has the A(C), and wants a third so he can Elite/Master them.

I mastered the A, AL and D (and AH back in closed beta). They are all fun mechs, but unfortunately terribly underpowered right now. The 55-tonners are just so much better.
I would wait and see what quirks the Centurions receive before using them ever again.

#11 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

Get the D, it might not be very good but at least you can make some other builds with it running a big XL. the AL can only give you annoyingly hot builds. I ended up running a dual PPC on it just to level it up and sold the POS.

Edited by Torgun, 08 October 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#12 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

I made my AL a 2xALRM10 + 5ton of Ammo boat + ERLL + 2x ML + Tag + XL Engine + BAP and got close to a 1.5 W/L and 2.1 K/D.

Found it a tad to boring to play but it works...(did the same with a Treb that can carry 1 ML more and its even better...still to boring to stick with such a build).

Some People put 1 or 2 PPC into the arm of the AL but my experience is that you will lose that Arm if something big glances on you...

#13 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

YLW or the D. I own both and swear by them.

Check out my Twitch steam for gameplay vids of both Mechs:

http://www.twitch.tv/nightmarejk

#14 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 08 October 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

I mastered the A, AL and D (and AH back in closed beta). They are all fun mechs, but unfortunately terribly underpowered right now. The 55-tonners are just so much better.
I would wait and see what quirks the Centurions receive before using them ever again.

I did the same - but disagree that they are underpowered. The number of KTOs, WVRs, GRFs, and SHDs I've wrecked in my AL... Stormcrows give me a little more pause, but hey, they're Clan.

#15 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

They both are pretty awesome; it's a real coin toss.

#16 DoomEngine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 123 posts
  • Locationsomewhere on Old Kentucky

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'd recommend the D- 'cause dakka... :)

#17 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

I run the following:

Cent A:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9db4fc5887c966f

Yen-Lo-Wang:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...12b37dc4b43cdc0

Cent AL:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...36715d00a862491

I love them all, and am tempted by the D, but first have to get my AH back!

#18 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

My AL I flip flop between

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b503eedc589e9fb

and

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90b2bbb0ce05587

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostCreovex, on 08 October 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

View PostMacksheen, on 08 October 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

I do not know how accurate your armor is there, but you can drop the armor in the Head or Shield to armor up your legs if needed.

#20 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

I run the AL, A(C) and YLW, i love the YLW, looking foward to the AH in the same regards, something about poping around a corner and landing that AC/20 is utterly satisfying.

i run my cents as duck-and-weave brawlers, stay with the Atlai and Dire Wolves, and once they start opening parts up on mechs, rush in and pick them off, and fade back out of the fight before you get too much attention drawn on you. and don't forget that shield arm, twisting when done well will make your fight last much longer. i've had people type in the comments that i was cheating because the dang things just do not die.

As for which you should get, i say wait until the quirks come out see if the quirks make or break any of them for you first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users