#1 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hello everyone. As offending as the topic sounds, the methods used in this guide are 100% legit and do not, in any way violate PGI's code of conduct.

The reason why I've decided to write a guide about it is because I've had a discussion with one of my older MWO friends who is a really casual player but continuously complains about "invisible walls". Since we were 5 people on teamspeak, I was very surprised that none of them, including Founders, Closed Beta Players possessed this kind of knowledge.

Are invisible walls a myth or are they real?
Invisible walls are real, they mostly occur on round objects, complicated structures or objects with alot of "holes in between" you simply can't shoot through them. Here's an example.
Posted Image

However, not all walls you shoot at are invisible walls. Some of them are "hidden walls" due to your graphic settings. In this guide I will mainly talk about a few of your advanced graphic settings.

Environmental Detail Settings

Environmental Detail Settings affect how the terrain is rendered from a distance. Especially "Oddly" Shaped terrain gets left our when you have them on low. Enemy mechs however will still be rendered behind those "covers" hence you can see through the wall. The following 2 pictures demonstrate a Hill on Terra Therma on Low and on High Environmental Detail settings. (might have to open pictures in separate windows and tab between them to see the difference)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Object Detail Settings

Object Detail Settings affect how the static in-game objects are rendered from a distance. Similar to Environmental Settings here's the difference:

Posted Image

Especially in the example you are able to see through all the ship containers, which gives you a huge edge.

Particles Settings

As fancy as they are, they often block one's sight. Here are some of the most annoying things that are affected by Particles:
-Jump Jet Smoke
-LRM Trails
-Destroyed components (having on low will still show your the smoke but not as much)
-Environmental Smoke (Caustic, River City, Terra Therma)
Here's an example:
Posted Image

Shadows Settings

Unless this severely cripples your performance, Shadows should always be set to at least Medium. I've found this feat especially helpful to on Canyon Network in one of the Canyons but it also helps on other maps. With Shadows on, you will be able to see enemies coming around the corner if the lightning is correct.

Min-Maxing the Detail Settings

At this point, it all depends on what kind of player you are. Would you rather sacrifice in-game immersion and for game-performance? It is obvious that on "most maps" there are points where you can simply see where the enemy is, without having to expose yourself and without him seeing you, hence you'll be able to see through walls. For those, who do not care about in-game immersion and prefer to min-max their personal performance during a match, I recommend playing with low Environment and Object Detail settings at any time, because you'd rather see the enemy and shoot at a wall than not seeing him at all and get shot at. With enough games, you'll learn those invisible corners on low settings by heart anyways.

Even though this is not within the scope of this guide; using air-strikes instead of arty-strikes comes in handy at this point. Even though I am admittedly a big fan of Arties (like the majority of players). You can accurately air-strike someone cowering behind a rock, since you can not shoot him through a wall but you know where exactly he is. I've seen top players doing brilliant airstrikes that way. It increases the chance of head-shooting someone and generally the chance of hitting someone with a direct hit (not splash damage hit) by a lot.

Here is an example of a scenario many people should be familiar with on canyon network fighting for Kappa:
Pilot A; seeing someone through a solid rock:
Posted Image

Pilot B; entirely unaware, feeling very safe. Won't even see the red smoke.
Posted Image

Don't forget to Delete your shader Folder after a change (just skip files that you can't delete. This is very important to make ingame graphic switching work, otherwise draw distances won't change if you change the settings. Sometimes restarting the client is also required after a settings change.
Spoiler

Generally, I'd recommend to play on low particle settings at all times because the smoke from destroyed mech components and Jumpjets can be disturbing but the ppc effects are just too sexy to resist :)

Edited by Eglar, 09 October 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#2 RapidFire7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

I get caught out trying to shoot through Invisible Walls... Takes a bit of practice having every video setting on "Low".

Pretty cool stuff though and remember, it ain't illegal 'til PGI says it is :)

#3 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

I've always ran low on both because I just want the mechs to look good and dont care about the terrian. But why exactly do you sometimes use high environment, more easily defineable terrain?

And I have to agree, the low particle PPCs are just too badass to warrant any higher a setting.

#4 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have to run everything on low with my graphics card. But at least im not a scrubby console gamer...

#5 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 08 October 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

I have to run everything on low with my graphics card. But at least im not a scrubby console gamer...

LOL gamer's dissing other gamer's because of what system they do or do not use :rolleyes:

#6 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

I can sometimes see 'mechs behind the mesas on canyon network, even on all-medium.

I heard about some invisible holes on HPG platform/ramps but never tested it out.

The most annoying of it all is unrendered buildings on River City which makes unhittable 'mechs visible. :angry:

Edited by Kin3ticX, 08 October 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#7 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 08 October 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

LOL gamer's dissing other gamer's because of what system they do or do not use :rolleyes:

I am not opposed to a snobish response. Whenever I hear someone talk about thier next gen console graphics, I have to roll my eyes.

#8 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:54 PM

If you have time to make a shot, watch your range-to-target indicator in the HUD; it will show you if you can make a hit. Note the distance in Eglar's first screenshot: 420 vs 54 meters (Even though in the center half the weapons hit a wall. BTW, the reverse holds for targetting UAVs: no reading, no hit). The range-to-target is a reliable indicator of your "Z-buffer" (Zap-buffer?).

Sometimes, especially Tourmaline, I peak around a corner (not these crystaline structures) and still hit an invisible wall with the weapon sticking around the corner, i.e., much further out. You can sometimes hit someone through the HPG holes and I've legged many an enemy mech through the ramps at the top/center of HPG (some lights can actually walk under them, so not so special). I would also like to wrap my mech in the same brand of cable that they use in the Terra Crater; it appears to be the most indestructible material in the universe.

I suspected low graphic settings had an advantage and didn't bother to try out; the invisible containers are a travesty. Even on the highest setting, even very nearby terrain is constantly popping into different shapes and changing textures. The rendering is actually pretty awful (yesyes, high-end video card latest drivers, game repair run).

Long story short, I really dislike the game for not being able to let me hit what I can see (highest settings). And thanks for posting :)

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 08 October 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#9 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:18 PM

View PostEglar, on 08 October 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

You really change the graphic settings for every map?! :blink:
That has got to be the definition of tryhard.

#10 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostPACoFist, on 08 October 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

You really change the graphic settings for every map?! :blink:
That has got to be the definition of tryhard.

I do, it's pretty fast and goes without restarting. Could leave it on low at all times but I actually sometimes enjoy the fancy effects.

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 08 October 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

If you have time to make a shot, watch your range-to-target indicator in the HUD; it will show you if you can make a hit. Note the distance in Eglar's first screenshot: 420 vs 54 meters (Even though in the center half the weapons hit a wall. BTW, the reverse holds for targetting UAVs: no reading, no hit). The range-to-target is a reliable indicator of your "Z-buffer" (Zap-buffer?).

Sometimes, especially Tourmaline, I peak around a corner (not these crystaline structures) and still hit an invisible wall with the weapon sticking around the corner, i.e., much further out. You can sometimes hit someone through the HPG holes and I've legged many an enemy mech through the ramps at the top/center of HPG (some lights can actually walk under them, so not so special). I would also like to wrap my mech in the same brand of cable that they use in the Terra Crater; it appears to be the most indestructible material in the universe.

Yes, the range indicator's jumps are good things, unfortunately it only works for instant-hit weapons like lasers. As for tourmaline, a lot of the crystalline structure have invisible walls, you can go up close with high settings and it still won't be rendered, same goes for HPG center and certain Rocks on Canyon Network.

#11 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

With the exception of competing in actual tournaments and/or organized events where I fully understand that these things actually matter, I find reducing the immersion and quality of the game's graphics to crappy levels just to gain an {unfair} advantage over the other players, a really REALLY sad move.

Do people have to "prove" their skillz by cheating with whatever way possible even in matches were it really doesn't matter?

Having said that, I know perfectly well that this "low settings to get an advantage" issue is plaguing almost all shooter games out there, I just find it ridiculous and to be honest I'm expecting the pro-sim community of Mechwarrior to have a higher percentage of immersion over min/max-ing players than other games. Maybe I'm wrong?

Edited by BOWMANGR, 08 October 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#12 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 08 October 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

I can sometimes see 'mechs behind the mesas on canyon network, even on all-medium.

I heard about some invisible holes on HPG platform/ramps but never tested it out.

The most annoying of it all is unrendered buildings on River City which makes unhittable 'mechs visible. :angry:

On Crimson straights, if you go through the tunnel direction c/3 b/3 and look around like crazy, at a certain angle the tunnel will entirely disappear. But I believe that it's a graphic glitch rather than depending on detail settings.

#13 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

yes its weird on some distances some objects seem to magically dissapear (especially some rocks as you metioned) and appear. imho this is very annoying because you shoot at stuff and can't hit it.

maps indeed need a heavy rework. Sometimes there are gaps you can shoot through, sometimes not. this is so inconsistent. If PGI is done with clanwar they should rework some maps.

View PostBOWMANGR, on 08 October 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

With the exception of competing in actual tournaments and/or organized events where I fully understand that these things actually matter, I find reducing the immersion and quality of the game's graphics to crappy levels just to gain an {unfair} advantage over the other players, a really REALLY sad move.

Do people have to "prove" their skillz by cheating with whatever way possible even in matches were it really doesn't matter?

Having said that, I know perfectly well that this "low settings to get an advantage" issue is plaguing almost all shooter games out there, I just find it ridiculous and to be honest I'm expecting the pro-sim community of Mechwarrior to have a higher percentage of immersion over min/max-ing players than other games. Maybe I'm wrong?

Some people can not game for gaming, they game for winning at all costs.

View PostEglar, on 08 October 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

On Crimson straights, if you go through the tunnel direction c/3 b/3 and look around like crazy, at a certain angle the tunnel will entirely disappear. But I believe that it's a graphic glitch rather than depending on detail settings.

yes a part diappears, and also mechs in that part, this is what some people told already when suddenly mechs get invisible there. I have some screens of this, should try to upload them later and make a report.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 October 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#14 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:12 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 08 October 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

yes its weird on some distances some objects seem to magically dissapear (especially some rocks as you metioned) and appear. imho this is very annoying because you shoot at stuff and can't hit it.

maps indeed need a heavy rework. Sometimes there are gaps you can shoot through, sometimes not. this is so inconsistent. If PGI is done with clanwar they should rework some maps.

Some people can not game for gaming, they game for winning at all costs.

yes a part diappears, and also mechs in that part, this is what some people told already when suddenly mechs get invisible there. I have some screens of this, should try to upload them later and make a report.

From what I know Mechs will always be rendered. I'm fairly sure that i've seen mechs that way in the past. But to demonstrate what I mean and so we are not talking about different.
The Graphic Glitch still appears independent from the graphic settings:

Low settings:
Posted Image

High Settings:
Posted Image

#15 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostEglar, on 09 October 2014 - 12:12 AM, said:

From what I know Mechs will always be rendered. I'm fairly sure that i've seen mechs that way in the past. But to demonstrate what I mean and so we are not talking about different.
The Graphic Glitch still appears independent from the graphic settings:

Low settings:
Posted Image

High Settings:
Posted Image

it was weire,d a a specific distance the mechs were gone in a specific tunnel area. At first I thought, WTF are teammates doing (they shot into an empty tunnel) then lasers came out of the fuckign nowhere xD I went a few meters further and poof lots of mechs in the tunnel.

Not sure if reporidceable, form the side entrance of the tunnel (a bit form outside) there was a specific distnace making all environment disappear in the tunnel (a bit right of the crossing in the tunnel). I will later try if that happens reproduceable.

#16 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

It's a nice guide, I guess.

You must have a low self-esteem to feel the need to jury-rig some sort of advantage over the rest of the players, but to each his own.

#17 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostLevon K, on 09 October 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

You must have a low self-esteem to feel the need to jury-rig some sort of advantage over the rest of the players, but to each his own.

Are you really jury-rigging any kind of advantage against "the rest" of the players when a lot of those players play at the same setting simply because they don't have the hardware to handle the eyecandy? It's a well known fact that many professional gamers often run low settings on their 1,500$+ gaming pc just so they can squeeze that extra bit of performance and visibility out of the game. I don't see how MWO could be any different - esp. where playing at high settings cripples framerate for some high end builds anyways. Minecraft has Optifine. We have Optifail.

Edited by Tarogato, 09 October 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#18 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:23 AM

I suggest we stop the moral frowning on using low settings especially when the how-to is being shared for all to see.

From the game side using low settings gives an effect that is unwanted, but it is up to PGI to make the visuals more consistent across all platforms.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 09 October 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#19 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

View PostBOWMANGR, on 08 October 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostLevon K, on 09 October 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

It's a nice guide, I guess.

Like I said it's up to the player whether they want to sacrifice in-game immersion for better gaming-performance. Please also consider that there are players who do find winning better than a fancy landscape. Me included.

p.s. updated tutorial with particles and shadow settings.

#20 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 08 October 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

I've always ran low on both because I just want the mechs to look good and dont care about the terrian. But why exactly do you sometimes use high environment, more easily defineable terrain?

And I have to agree, the low particle PPCs are just too badass to warrant any higher a setting.

yes for both ingame immersion and better view of terrain. I often switch though, it helps you with estimating the "invisible wall"s size so you know when to shoot.

View PostLily from animove, on 09 October 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

it was weire,d a a specific distance the mechs were gone in a specific tunnel area. At first I thought, WTF are teammates doing (they shot into an empty tunnel) then lasers came out of the fuckign nowhere xD I went a few meters further and poof lots of mechs in the tunnel.

Not sure if reporidceable, form the side entrance of the tunnel (a bit form outside) there was a specific distnace making all environment disappear in the tunnel (a bit right of the crossing in the tunnel). I will later try if that happens reproduceable.

It's in my opinion rather a glitch than dependant on a certain graphic setting. What you described has never occurred to me before. Graphic glitches are too unpredictable to rely on as a performance-enhancing method. But it's funny that to me Crimson Straights seems to cause more trouble than any other map. Maybe PGI should look into this.
Posted Image

Edited by Eglar, 09 October 2014 - 02:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users