114 replies to this topic

#21 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

^^ I was kidding.

But seriously it will be tougher for clan pilots vrs IS mechs after the twerks are in. :)

It will take a while to adjust to, but the clan mechs are still extremely powerfull mechs and fast and durable considering they carry XL's

For me it has taken alot of time and practice and creds to get good mechs and have a few great matches now and then and alot of so so matches with a side of bad matches. Clan pilots shouldnt expect anything different really.

#22 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

View Postkilgor, on 08 October 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Yes, but at least you're still alive. When an IS 'Mech with XL loses a side torso, they die.

But a Clan pilot has no choice in the matter.

A Clan assault cannot choose to not have an XL in order to avoid penalties from loss of a side torso, and Clan assault builds tend to run hot, so I'm not sure if that's the best counter argument.

Frankly, and this is coming from a guy who bought all the Clan packs as a collector, and then never pilots them since I'm an IS lore purist, I find the constant Clan nerfing kind of sad, since it tends to be in response to Meta balancing and whatnot, and the more it happens, the less intimidating it gets to see a Clan mech on the battlefield, and that's just not right.

I should sweat a little when I encounter them in CW, but I just don't think I will at this rate. Pretty much at all.

#23 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostRip Snorgan, on 08 October 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

A Clan assault cannot choose to not have an XL in order to avoid penalties from loss of a side torso, and Clan assault builds tend to run hot, so I'm not sure if that's the best counter argument.

Frankly, and this is coming from a guy who bought all the Clan packs as a collector, and then never pilots them since I'm an IS lore purist, I find the constant Clan nerfing kind of sad, since it tends to be in response to Meta balancing and whatnot, and the more it happens, the less intimidating it gets to see a Clan mech on the battlefield, and that's just not right.

I should sweat a little when I encounter them in CW, but I just don't think I will at this rate. Pretty much at all.

I hope you're not suggesting that the lack of choice in engine type should excuse clan mechs from actual penalties in losing their side torso.

#24 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

You should feel sad The Game developers are giving you a CW win on a silver platter. All you got to do is load up on Dakka IS PP style with PPc close distance initiate close range brawling Take out torso watch clan mech melt in own heat or take out torso while clan mech melts in own heat. , Kill clan mech as they die from multiple nerfings of HEAT. EASY win .

#25 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostPjwned, on 08 October 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

I hope you're not suggesting that the lack of choice in engine type should excuse clan mechs from actual penalties in losing their side torso.

Perhaps the lesser chassis' should be quirked out of it.

Badder and Suckoner aren't exactly ripe for nerfing.

#26 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostRip Snorgan, on 08 October 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Trust I am 100% sure there will be a few pilots in clan mechs that will make you sweat when you see them in CW and then some.

#27 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 08 October 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Would be nice to be able to go up or down with the Clan XL engine sizes, no one wants a standard. Can not switch ENDO -Ferro but we should be able to increase or decrease the engine size of the clan XL.

Another reason I feel clan mechs are not worth owning. They're turning into cut and paste mechs. You max out the hardpoints with subpar weapons then you add in heatsinks for anything left over.

#28 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

View PostPjwned, on 08 October 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

Point of fact, I'm wishing they would roll back every Clan nerf to date and give us TableTop Clanners that I can be afraid of. And then give the vat babies a challenge for CW by nerfing the numbers of mechs they can drop with.

I know that's highly unlikely, and probably impossible to properly balance, but hey, it's wishful thinking time over here.

View PostJohnny Z, on 08 October 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

Trust I am 100% sure there will be a few pilots in clan mechs that will make you sweat when you see them in CW and then some.

Yes, but not because of their mech.

Those are the pilots I'd likely be afraid of no matter what mech they showed up in.

#29 Xigunder Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 425 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

Sigh, this is one of those irritating "I told you so" moments. A long long time ago I warned you, as a game designer (retired), that you should NEVER start at or toward the top of anything and nerf down. You should start toward the bottom and when the complaints come in, then INCREASE. It is a basic of game design, either TT or Computer.

Also the concept of 'repair costs' sucks as you found out. It drags the play down and annoys most players. We all expect much of our mechs to be destroyed and it seriously degrades the c-bill total from a win. What you can do is start selling (in game) upgraded systems (ie...lasers that do increased damage, ballistics aiming that improves 'to hit' ability and so forth). These systems CAN be destroyed and must be bought again. Availability could be faction or clan specific. Be creative.

#30 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostRip Snorgan, on 08 October 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Point of fact, I'm wishing they would roll back every Clan nerf to date and give us TableTop Clanners that I can be afraid of. And then give the vat babies a challenge for CW by nerfing the numbers of mechs they can drop with.

I know that's highly unlikely, and probably impossible to properly balance, but hey, it's wishful thinking time over here.

Yes, but not because of their mech.

Those are the pilots I'd likely be afraid of no matter what mech they showed up in.

Yep I am sure they prefer it that way.

I have no alts and am not talking double speak here, there are alot of great pilots in alot of different mechs. I just think the "best/most experienced" pilots would prefer to do well on a fair playing field.

Edited by Johnny Z, 08 October 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#31 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

Running my Mad Dogs last night, one lrm boat, one srm boat and one ppc/srm mix. Losing a torso did not seem to affect heat at all.. ..if anything I had more heat chainfiring my weapons for max DPS before I lost the side torso.. ..inadvertent impact? Oh well, losing 1 PPC and gaining better heat curve is not a bad thing... ..after all, you are only losing 20%!

#32 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 08 October 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

Perhaps the lesser chassis' should be quirked out of it.

Badder and Suckoner aren't exactly ripe for nerfing.

A quirk for not having a penalty for losing part of the engine? I think if those mechs aren't very good then it would be more appropriate to buff them in some other way.

#33 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

If I want to see how a match is going to go I count the founders on each team then the phoenix owners. Simply because they have the most experience. It proves right almost all the time. Give it a try you may be surprised how accurate this is. Know that if they are stacked on the oppsoite team be prepared for a good fight. Im sure the other owners of mech packs will also have this weight in deciding matches later on.

#34 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

View PostPjwned, on 08 October 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

A quirk for not having a penalty for losing part of the engine? I think if those mechs aren't very good then it would be more appropriate to buff them in some other way.

Their weapons have already been gimped, their engines are being hit, what else can you do for them?

#35 tuffy963

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 08 October 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

Since the time before it was blown apart.

Yeah, but you are referencing AFTER it is blown apart stage of the game. It seems to me, your mech should have some degraded performance. It also seems that they ability to continue fighting with 3 ERM lasers is GIANT advantage over an IS mech with an XL engine with the same damage that is smoldering on the ground, completely out of action.

#36 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

Yep kiddies if yah want to have fun Play the IS mechs , You got most of the advantages. Clans got a few harder hitting weapons, with incredible amounts of heat, Most IS weapons generate less heat , have faster firing rates, do Front Loaded PP damage, can fully customize their structures and engines. IS mechs are going to be easier to play for newbs. Clan in this game are nothing like the clans in previous games. They have been swapped upside down with IS mechs. Lore has been thrown out unless it is a penalty for the clans. That is why clans have NO FL auto cannons, PPC that splash a 1/3 of thier canon damage I have been playing my IS mechs a lot lately. If you are a Battletech lore nut expect some disappointment. You can still have fun with it.

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 08 October 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Their weapons have already been gimped, their engines are being hit, what else can you do for them?

all the QQ, yet still having a blast in my Vulture. (wish I could say the same for my Summoner, which is kinda MEH)

#38 Sovery_Simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

View Posttuffy963, on 08 October 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yeah, but you are referencing AFTER it is blown apart stage of the game. It seems to me, your mech should have some degraded performance. It also seems that they ability to continue fighting with 3 ERM lasers is GIANT advantage over an IS mech with an XL engine with the same damage that is smoldering on the ground, completely out of action.

Really? Firing 3 Medium lasers is "gamebreakingly overpowered oh my god nerf the clans why can they fire 3 medium lasers when they've already suffered the loss of half their mech"? Truly? On the slowest assault mech of them all, no less?

Shall we adjust the Atlas so he shuts down instantly for firing his missiles after he loses his AC side? I mean it's fair, isn't it? The atlas doesn't even need to take XL, the standard are so good for him, so let's just adjust around that, since he isn't dying when he loses a side torso like your, what, cata/jager/whatever.

Just more nerfs for the lowest of the clan mechs, fwhee.

#39 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 08 October 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Would be nice to be able to go up or down with the Clan XL engine sizes, no one wants a standard. Can not switch ENDO -Ferro but we should be able to increase or decrease the engine size of the clan XL.

lol if clan mechs got to tweek engine sizes it would not be good for the game.

It would be like when there was no engine restrictions on mechs and you could put a 400 in anything, the 100 km/h awesome's were fun mind you but not the best for the game.

Edited by Lord de Seis, 08 October 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#40 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 08 October 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

If i was running a clan mech I would wipe the floor with any of the current clan pilots I see running around at the moment.

All i can say is prove me wrong.
Get a clan mech and go beat everyone, then. You'll just be the next name on the board crying for PGI to remove some of the clan nerfs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users