Disturbing Comment From Paul's Update About Cw

44 replies to this topic

#1 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

[color=#a8e558]Is the design goal of planetary conquest to give a match based more on objectives than taking out the enemy forces? To give an exampe, Conquest mode as it exists currently is still primarily focused on taking out the entire enemy team as opposed to winning on capping. Capping is the secondary objective and is the least likely victory condition.[/color]

MWO is an online multiplayer game that is always going to be focussed on the PVP aspect of a battle. PVE campaigns have been talked about and will be investigated in the new year.

Takeaway message: Any content that is not directly related to blowing up an enemy mech is not PVP content, and we aren't interested in changing Conquest/Assault to make capture attractive.

I am... not happy about this. By definition, any game mode which pits you against another player is PVP content; forcing all the game modes to be essentially identical just makes for a boring game.

Edited by Xarian, 08 October 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#2 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:37 PM

I do not think this should be a surprise, really the biggest difference in the 3 modes is how they affect team movment, and that is even secondary to the map layout.

I would be more on about the PVE stuff he mentioned.

BUT Iwould also think Russ/Paul would be open to mode revisions, AFTER CW is in. Assault needs some work, and conquest for sure needs something too, for solo drops anyway. But I wouldnt get to ruffled till after we see some CW in place.

#3 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

I await PVE campaigns. This game is just like any shooter in PVP, pointless, pew pew shooter. Atleast, even in an easy PVE game, atleast you have to play the objectives to win and quite frankly, I find that more fun. Conquest and Assault, its all but suicide to even try to get to the cap points and really.....its not like anyone but a light is even going to get near the objectives in any kind of timely manner.

#4 TinFoilHat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

Don't think it's disturbing, I think it's just perhaps Paul hasn't quite understood the question properly? Someone asked a question about making game objectives something other than "kill everyone" and he's given an answer about developing a single player campaign.

#5 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostXarian, on 08 October 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

[b][b]

Takeaway message: Any content that is not directly related to blowing up an enemy mech is not PVP content, and we aren't interested in changing Conquest/Assault to make capture attractive.

I am... not happy about this. By definition, any game mode which pits you against another player is PVP content; forcing all the game modes to be essentially identical just makes for a boring game.

One thing to consider is the stuff that comes out of paul's mouth is often not accurate and misquoted. That being said, at this point in time I have zero faith on cw being well executed.

they have had enough time though. CW was promised 90 days after open beta (sorry I had to)

Edited by CHH Badkarma, 08 October 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#6 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostCHH Badkarma, on 08 October 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

One thing to consider is the stuff that comes out of paul's mouth is often not accurate and misquoted. That being said, at this point in time I have zero faith on cw being well executed.

they have had enough time though. CW was promised 90 days after open beta (sorry I had to)

Well, with all the endless nerfing going on, its no wonder games develop slowly.....so mcuh time is spent changing this number and that number.....findout the community still isnt happy, nerfing it somemore...yeah....

#7 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, I was a bit shocked to see this as well. I hope Poul was simply a bit tired when he answered the question and didn't think straight because I certainly hope he doesn't consider deathmatch the only option when it comes to PVP. I hope he does have the capacity to imagine an objective based game mode which we sorely lack at the moment.

#8 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

But I would also really want an actual answer to that question.

Edited by Savage Wolf, 09 October 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#9 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

The fact that Conquest forces combat is what makes it a good game mode.

I don't understand why people seem to have such a hard time with that concept.

#10 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

90% of my Conquest matches ended up with 12 dead members of one team, 10% ended with a win on points. On the other hand, those win-by-points were easily the worst earnings I made on a given match.

Most players that actually did the math rapidly realize that per-match, Conquest means more grinding to get a meaningful result. I'm one of those who clicked it off my preferences after a bit of checking numbers. Until Conquest serves a purpose, it's not something I'll play.

#11 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

I really hope they don't bother with PVE for a long time

The most boring aspects of all online games is the PVE stuff >.<

AI is never as much of a challenge as humans except through sheer numbers

I guess I wouldn't mind, however, a single player campaign as long as it didn't take away dev power from the online game

Edited by cSand, 09 October 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#12 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

It seems Paul misunderstood the question as if it were asking if there will be PvE content within CW. I would presume he was thinking about fighting AI-controlled forces like in previous Mechwarrior games.

Assault or Conquest mode aren't really PvE. They are PvP with objectives as a victory condition. I don't think the OP has anything to worry about from this comment.

#13 Dashwood Fox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 110 posts
  • LocationHamilton, ON

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

PvE content and campaigns? If those happened I would definitely start spending a lot of money on this game again.

#14 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostBlakkstar, on 09 October 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

It seems Paul misunderstood the question as if it were asking if there will be PvE content within CW. I would presume he was thinking about fighting AI-controlled forces like in previous Mechwarrior games. Assault or Conquest mode aren't really PvE. They are PvP with objectives as a victory condition. I don't think the OP has anything to worry about from this comment.

Yes this is how I took his answer as well

#15 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostDashwood Fox, on 09 October 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

PvE content and campaigns? If those happened I would definitely start spending a lot of money on this game again.

And what would you spend it on? Paint jobs and Cockpit bobbles for the AI to be jealous of... ;)

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 09 October 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

I don't understand why people seem to have such a hard time with that concept.

Conquest was supposed to be about the collecting more than teh fighting. Getting more resources was the goal. But players in their infinite wisdom chose the bloodbath over the skillful victory.

#17 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 October 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Conquest was supposed to be about the collecting more than teh fighting. Getting more resources was the goal. But players in their infinite wisdom chose the bloodbath over the skillful victory.

The best games are when the two combine.

#18 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

But players in their infinite wisdom chose the bloodbath over the skillful victory.

Or they realized that killing people took less time and gave better rewards than "stand in the square" anyway, thereby making "shoot the other guys" the more profitable option.

Realizing the most efficient option is itself wise.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

View Postwanderer, on 09 October 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Or they realized that killing people took less time and gave better rewards than "stand in the square" anyway, thereby making "shoot the other guys" the more profitable option.

Realizing the most efficient option is itself wise.

Are you playing someone who is supposed to think for himself or a soldier (of fortune) with a CO who gave you an order to get the rocks first and foremost!

View PostBilbo, on 09 October 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

The best games are when the two combine.

Usually! I have had a few awesome wins where in my Atlas I was part of a Ninja Cap! An Atlas Bilbo! Know how many times I have done that in some 6,000 matches? :huh:

#20 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

I guess the OP would say that Soccer or Football is not PvP bcs they dont blow up...but the real term here is "Shoot em Up" which the Op mistakes with PvP.

Tldr: I wanna play a "Shoot em Up" and any other Dimension of PvP is to much for me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users