#41 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 October 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Conquest was supposed to be about the collecting more than teh fighting. Getting more resources was the goal. But players in their infinite wisdom chose the bloodbath over the skillful victory.

When they were first talking about Conquest, I pictured having to get to the resource collectors, get them started up, protect them while other mechs got other ones started, and after they ran for a while (for either side), they'd have some loot to spit out that you'd need to make sure made it back to your base / dropzone.

When it first came out, the combat was pretty dynamic. It was a light/medium-mech friendly zone where the heavies were medium hunters, the mediums and lights were the workers, and the smart assaults were those who found some semi-middle ground or second line base and setup camp on guard duty.

The earnings, however, were about equal to capturing the base on assault (if you did nothing else, so about 100,000 cbills) + either 7,500 or 15,00 for the resources. So a light could earn slightly more, and the long ranges on larger maps with lots of space in between meant that scouting was very important as was reporting enemy positions. Assists for LRMs were easy to get and so was stealthy approaches, flanking maneuvers, etc.

The lack of choice in the matter or foreknowledge of the game mode you'd be stuck in made it bad, however, as the assault mech craze was big at the same time.

Then PGI removed the rewards for playing the objective...because people played the offensive objective (capture the base) but some weren't playing the defensive objective (defend the base). Removing the rewards didn't stop base capturing, and so it became "trolling." Also capturing it was too quick. So they made all bases universally longer to capture in addition to removing the rewards. Which rapidly demonstrated the only way to make money is to kill things. Assault and heavy mechs became completely dominant of every match. Anything less than 35 tons was a "waste of space" and occasionally team-killed. Conquest diminished into a Skirmish style match.

Which was fine, because we didn't have a Skirmish. Then we got it. And nothing else got fixed. It's been this way for a long time.
And all balancing goes to heavies and assaults with little about lights and mediums. Simply some afterthoughts.

#42 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts
  • LocationI live in a Mech Hangar

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 09 October 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Basically my feelings, expressed in a more eccentric way lol.

I am kinda over PVP games. I played Planetside 2 for 2 years, over 100 combined Battle ranks there, had a good KD for awhile, it was fun, but between hit detect, design decisions and other stuff, its kinda boring now.

I played WoT for 4500 some battles, got to Tier 9 in the US line, had a 52% win rate, 1250 overall efficiency, did ok, but got tired of the nerfs here, nerfs there, russian bias, and atrocious playerbase.

MWO, its just WoT with mechs as our avatars......plus this game is poor in the performance dept.

I love mechs and I wanna like this game, but since its just WoT style TDms...meh....I wantz some PVE action as this game was initially described.

Basicly Mech Warrior should never have been removed from the patern of product its always maintained I/E PVE. PVE should have always been the main objective in Mech Warrior and the option to PVP. Alot of todays mentality revolves around competing, interacting as a community. Its the biggest marketing tool in todays games, which is the pvp mind set in most games online today. However MWO, being the name is "Online" shouldnt restrict just 1 game style. Ya we have 3 modes of game style to choose from but that seriously is so boring. Thats just my oppinion but I feel after seeing so much interest in PVE and knowing all of our Mech Warrior Fan base from the 90's was so used to PVE, why change that? Ive played this **** for over 20 yrs now and I grew to love pve mech warrior. I still play MW4 alot. The sad part of MW4 is that it didnt have the luxury of online capabilities like MWO has. The engine it would have needed for constant updates and more map designs to feed players more interest in the game died with the it the day they released the game as far as potentual.

PGI is still doing an amazing job, BUT this game has ENORMOUS potential to go much farther and I'm sad to see 1 of the most legendary games in the very beginning of Computer gaming evolution and development that Mech Warrior has hit a road block with PGI dirrectly. Theres HISTORY in this game, not just lore but the fact its so old.

Edited by Powder Puff Pew Pew, 09 October 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#43 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

What's wrong with what Paul said?

At the end of the day, it's still about CBills and kills give you more CBills, winning through cap with no kills gives you less CBills than a loss with high kills and high damage.

As long the as economics of the game modes favour killing, people will always be out to kill.

If you gave a 150k CBill bounty for winning by cap on Conquest and zero bounty for win by kill, you will see a drastic change in the way Conquest is played.

#44 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

I, for some reason, am not very disturbed.Might be a bit buzzed tho.

#45 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

People will tend to do the things they are rewarded for. Make the rewards for capping in Conquest more than what would be received from fighting each other and eventually the gameplay would sway that way.

Make the rewards for capping in Conquest outweigh the rewards for fighting in Skirmish and you would see more people interested in hat game mode.

As it is group play, where more people tend to use strategy, frequently results in base caps in Assault and cap wins in Conquest. any pugs just queue up all 3 game modes to get more frequent hits then just play each mode like it was Skirmish because that is where the rewards are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users