Give The C1 Catapult Back It's Torso Twist!

47 replies to this topic

#21 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostSorbic, on 17 October 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

I saw the Jesters quirks and I really hope that's not all it's getting because it's completely lacking. The Cat's, esp the Jester and K2, need armor buffs like many other smaller targets are getting but all I see atm is a small buff to LL's. Definitely not fitting for a T4 mech listed as T3. If it's left as is I suppose it will just be another lesson on not bothering to buy hero mechs.

If they were to restore the torso twist to the catapults, and perhaps put the Jester in line with the standard K2 with a torso twist of 140 degrees, that would be more than sufficient. It's really not a bonus quirk, it's just an elimination of the old nerf.

#22 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostRashhaverak, on 17 October 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

If they were to restore the torso twist to the catapults, and perhaps put the Jester in line with the standard K2 with a torso twist of 140 degrees, that would be more than sufficient. It's really not a bonus quirk, it's just an elimination of the old nerf.

The torso twist might help spread some of the damage but it would still be too easily cored. As it is now the nose is so big you can't even twist far enough to ensure it won't be hit. Of course I never got to play with the Jesters old twist abilities. Would probably make them a lot more fun.

Edited by Sorbic, 17 October 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#23 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#mechs_quirks

Cat changes were not done as quirks for the most part, they were changed to the chassis...
The K2 and Jester are the only ones with quirks currently...

(The Victor changes were done with quirks it looks like)

Edited by Jeb, 17 October 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#24 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

The catapult used to be a beast because of LRM, gauss, AC20 balance ... It always had a stupid big CT but its various variants before so many more mechs were added could boat a few of the nastier weapons. So it became less mobile with a worse torso twist as a soft nerf to the chassis.

Now however that looks quaint.

Personally I think making its CT more like the madcat or stalker would be better, but making it torso twist well to improve targetting fast movers and being able to kite better would certainly help because the chassis doesnt have that much else going for it in this world of HSR and completely different weapons balance.

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 17 October 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

The catapult used to be a beast because of LRM, gauss, AC20 balance ... It always had a stupid big CT but its various variants before so many more mechs were added could boat a few of the nastier weapons. So it became less mobile with a worse torso twist as a soft nerf to the chassis.

Now however that looks quaint.

Personally I think making its CT more like the madcat or stalker would be better, but making it torso twist well to improve targetting fast movers and being able to kite better would certainly help because the chassis doesnt have that much else going for it in this world of HSR and completely different weapons balance.

I'm not exactly a fan of that... but just understand that this particular change invalidates or at least minimizes the role of the XL engine on the Catapult.

I've never failed to shoot the side of a Catapult to test XL-ness (well, depending on the loadout). So... /shrug

#26 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 17 October 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

I'm not exactly a fan of that... but just understand that this particular change invalidates or at least minimizes the role of the XL engine on the Catapult.

I've never failed to shoot the side of a Catapult to test XL-ness (well, depending on the loadout). So... /shrug

PGI has the data to see where the deaths come from most but a slight reduction in CT is not to stop people from killing it through particular locations, but it does make spreading the damage around easier for the pilot.

I run XL all he time and the CT is nearly always the bit that suffers. Also since running LRMs requires you to face the enemy for long periods of time if you are doing direct fire you tend to have a harder time shielding with torso anyway.

I small reduction in CT size would just help some of those shots bounce to side torsos extending the life marginally but critically longer i am certain.

The twist would be nice to come back to for kiting purposes ... In generally its a bit of a slug with the JJ changes too and its fragility. But that's just my opinion anyway

#27 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:52 AM

I don't think the catapults need a change to hit boxes. Back in the day it was just find to be able to torso twist the damage across the mech. Even with the big nose, you could spin around and spread damage just fine. Piloting skill and the ability to run full tilt forwards while shooting nearly behind was what made the mech a great ride.

And I very much vote NOT to change the shape. It doesn't need to look anymore like a MadCat. It's beautiful just as it is.

Return the torso twist and give it whatever other quirks it deserves for it's tier. It'll be a great mech.

#28 Hillbillycrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

Dunno about twist characteristics but I think it's still too easy to headshot a Catapult. I mean if I can do it regularly then any frikkin-body can.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 17 October 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

I could just say "For Balance, Corerule ignore", but it wouldn't be a proper response... let alone give proper justice to the issue.

I think that in many of the previous MW games where torso twist was limited (Nova being the primary example), they didn't get much of a fair shake in terms of being able to survive in a video game. It's hard to properly appreciate them in the original context of the mech... then again, there were some MW games that allowed of 360 torso-twist (MW3 didn't quite have it 360, but close enough, MW4 had it for the notable ones).

You can only hold true to some of the values... but it can only work to a certain extent. Unless you can find ways to make it "lore friendly", some stuff has to be made friendly to a video game.

That dude's bad English has become a meme...

Indeed. This is one of the first games to introduce something that could completely alleviate the issue of not having torso twist, but its implementation is a bit too shallow. Then again even in the games that held true (MW2 for example) a minor twist was granted, but the mechs who actually can't twist typically had something that could compensate for it.

Allow me to list some examples.
Spoiler

Spoilered to prevent the scroll it would cause for those not interested.

Edited by Koniving, 18 October 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#30 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

I just want the torso twist range and narrow 15 missile launchers back on the C1 :(

View PostKoniving, on 18 October 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

That dude's bad English has become a meme...

Indeed. This is one of the first games to introduce something that could completely alleviate the issue of not having torso twist, but its implementation is a bit too shallow. Then again even in the games that held true (MW2 for example) a minor twist was granted, but the mechs who actually can't twist typically had something that could compensate for it.

That's a huge amount of work for very minor change which more than half of the people would hate.

#31 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

View PostEdustaja, on 18 October 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

I just want the torso twist range and narrow 15 missile launchers back on the C1 :(

That's a huge amount of work for very minor change which more than half of the people would hate.

The concept of eliminating torso twist is also, quite frankly, silly... and losing legs when losing torsos or arms is even worse.

Nobody in their right mind would build a walking tank (in a world where such things made sense) and not give it the ability to torso-twist the upper half of the mech. Yeah, yeah, I know - walking tanks are already "absurd," but mechs without torso twist pushes that into a point of simple silliness, IMHO. It's just not practical.

Don't believe me? Give this a shot - get a few Nerf guns together with your friends, and walk around shooting at each other... but one of you gets to be the mech with no torso twist; that's right, don't twist your body - or head - at all. Keep them locked facing forwards at all times. You'll get creamed by your opponents who actually move in a logical fashion for the situation.

Point being that much of the old artwork, despite its sacred "Lore" status, didn't make much sense, and mechs lacking torso twist falls squarely into that category. Such mechs would instantly be Tier 5, nobody would play them, and anybody who had such a mech that lost its torso twist would be properly enraged.

Edited by oldradagast, 18 October 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostEdustaja, on 18 October 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

The idea is under the assumption of being done for the next Mechwarrior game or more preferably a Battletech game.
I've been futzing with how to design a proper yet fair Battletech game in real time to be the Battletech game the BT fans wanted, as simply "Mechwarrior" will never truly give a BT experience.

It would also fit in nicely with quad-leg mechs, who also don't have torso twist but they do have turrets and lateral (sideways) movement.

Edited by Koniving, 18 October 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 18 October 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

You're under the assumption that the pilot's head can't twist, or that it can't shoot left or right. Quite far from it. In fact you may notice that many of the mechs would have fields of fire that are not possible on MWO. For example the MWO Catapult must twist and face a target head on to fire missiles at it. This is not true for Battletech even though the mech can't twist, you can be 90 degrees off to the left and so long as you're far enough away for the missiles to make the turn, the Catapult can still hit you.

Take this immobile tank. Track is busted. Turret only has twin AC/10s. But the body has 4 LRM-5s.
Posted Image
The Atlas is targeted by the turret.
The four enforcers are targeted by the LRM-5s. Of the 4, 3 are hit (the North / Top-most target was missed, though it was possible [I missed the roll by 1 point]).
That would be the same effectiveness of a Catapult with LRMs or SRMs, even if it could not twist (or in this case even move), it could still attack anything within the pilot's view to a 180 degree arc left and right, provided the missiles can make those turns within the limits of physics. So, in a sense the mech would be significantly more effective, with a 180 degree field of fire forward, as well as be able to flip the arms to fire behind itself for an additional 120 degree field of fire, giving it a total of 300 degrees with 2 blind spots.

The current MWO Catapult has 120 degree field of fire, with the K2 having 110 degrees, and the Jester having 90.

So a Battletech Catapult with no twist with a 300 degree field of fire... or an MWO Catapult with twist that has a top range of 120 degrees? What makes more sense on a battlefield?

A more practical example is to play War Thunder. Try tanks that have turrets. Then try tanks that don't.
Then try tanks with multiple turrets.
Try fast tanks.
Try slow tanks.
Try ones with big guns.
Try ones with tiny guns.

You'll start to get a feel that everything has its place.

(On the edits: Had trouble getting the image to work, had to reupload. What is it with the forum not taking images with spaces now? Also added in more 'MWO' and 'Battletech' distinction to be as clear as possible.)

Edited by Koniving, 18 October 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#34 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Sorry Koniving, but I have to agree the the gentleman who said having mechs with no torso twist is a terribad design and would quickly go the way of the dodo.

Maybe it would work in a tabletop game, but it definitely would not work in a first mech shooter.

The MWO catapult design is the bomb, and if they give it back the torso twist it started with, then it'll become a first class mech again. Maybe not tier 1, but at least better than tier 5. And giving the twist back should be easy enough since it was initially designed to have it.

#35 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Koniving, the first spider pic is better. The second one seems to have too much "space" that goes unused. Perhaps if someone has the artistic vision to integrate the spider in the "middle" of the pillar in some creative fashion, it could work.

Also, I enjoyed "the dancing Locust". :P

Back to the original discussion... in the case of the Nova, I guess it is "possible" to adhere to some of the old TT-like behavior, but that would involve a redesign of the mech (it would probably never happen) and a massive quirk for turning speed, accel, decel, and more stuff. It "could work", but would be very inconsistent to what we have at the moment. I don't think MW2 nor MW3 (not sure if it was added in Mektek's modification of MW4) had increased turning speed as compensation, because that would be the only way to spread damage effectively during cooldown.

#36 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostRashhaverak, on 18 October 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

I don't think the catapults need a change to hit boxes. Back in the day it was just find to be able to torso twist the damage across the mech. Even with the big nose, you could spin around and spread damage just fine. Piloting skill and the ability to run full tilt forwards while shooting nearly behind was what made the mech a great ride.

And I very much vote NOT to change the shape. It doesn't need to look anymore like a MadCat. It's beautiful just as it is.

Return the torso twist and give it whatever other quirks it deserves for it's tier. It'll be a great mech.

Changing the hit boxes does not mean changing the shape if that was not clear. The model would not change, but what location was hit would change. The invisible hit boxes for each location would simply change shape around the geometry of the mech so the CT hitbox would be slightly more narrow.

While you can say you were great at spreading damage, I have no trouble hitting catapult CTs at all so we have two very anecdotal experiences at odds there. PGI has the data, if it is dying through the CT much more than other mechs before side torso loss I would say its a prime candidate for a CT hitbox reduction.

Not too much though, a few percent would cause just a few shots to go wide which would not stop it from being viable for XL engines either, if you were going for side torsos it would be just fine too, at least it can turn and hide torsos decently due to the jutting nose.

Making the torso twisting better would also help ... Unless you are some dirty BT purist like Kon ;)

I guess the point is that quirks should not just be about weapons and armour ... Though I m guessing that PGI might just add armour to the CT to be lazy about it.

#37 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 17 October 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

really? Thats funny. Mine has 400 of 422 armor, medium lasers in the arms ;) and has the 2 AC-20, DHS, Endo steel, 61.7 kph and a heat efficiency of 1.3

I manage just fine :)

So you can shoot like 10.5 times before you run dry? and then have 2 meds left?

Boomcats are a waste. So close but the AC20 is not the big ballistic you're looking for in a K2.

#38 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 18 October 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Changing the hit boxes does not mean changing the shape if that was not clear. The model would not change, but what location was hit would change. The invisible hit boxes for each location would simply change shape around the geometry of the mech so the CT hitbox would be slightly more narrow.

While you can say you were great at spreading damage, I have no trouble hitting catapult CTs at all so we have two very anecdotal experiences at odds there. PGI has the data, if it is dying through the CT much more than other mechs before side torso loss I would say its a prime candidate for a CT hitbox reduction.

I like the hit boxes the way they are because it helps for running an XL engine if the right and left torso's are small.

#39 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostRashhaverak, on 19 October 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

I like the hit boxes the way they are because it helps for running an XL engine if the right and left torso's are small.

Except the LT and RT are not really that small, you can HIDE a torso fairly well because you can swing your whole bosy away from the enemy, but that just exposes your other torso so in an XL you cannot hide your torsos well due to high arms.

Also, even when you swing your whole body around you can hit the CT very easily.

What this means is that people gunning for your side torso will generally get it, but people guning for your CT will ALWAYS get it.

If the CT was a little smaller people might find it harder to hit the CT from a side angle and go for the side torso instead ... this is not a BAD thing because you can take some damage then swing your body around and expose your fresh other side torso while hiding the other.

This would also help running a Standard and XL engine because in a standard rather than moving your torso around to stop it being destroyed, you can actually lose the entire side torso and use it as a shield.

The MASSIVE CT is a bad thing for all builds because its extremely hard to use positioning of your mech well because people just pop your CT so easily.

i am not wanting a full on stalker profile mind you - just a few percentages mean that the CT will be hittable from most angles still but a few shots are going to stray either side. Also if you are using LRMs and are forced to face the enemy for the flight duration then having a few laser ticks, or a travel time weapon missing the CT because its not so huge would add more to your lifespan on the battlefield.

As i mentioned, they may just give an internal/armour boost to the CT to avoid changing any hit boxes, but that does not add any skill element of shileding better so its not as good a fix IMO.

#40 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

Since the catapult isn't the soul-destroying gauss-weiding brawler it used to be, should be safe(er) to to give it its torso twist range back...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users