- - - - -

Flamers, How Do They Work ?

31 replies to this topic

#1 tabc3dd

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:08 AM

Fairly new to the game, I started about a month ago, and I have issues understanding how flamers work. I've checked online a bit and it appears that the way flamers work has evolved quite a bit, but I cannot find anything recent enough.

My thought was that flamers generate more heat on the enemy than on yourself, therefore it would effectively be possible to overheat an enemy without overheating yourself. However that does not seem to be the case with a test build that I ran.

Since I like to play "fun" builds, I was thinking of trying a full flamer nova prime and simply lock down isolated ennemies, would that even be possible ? I really don't want to burn 10k MC into something that isn't going to do what I'm expecting simply because flamers work in obtuse undocumented ways.

Thank you for your time and answers :)

#2 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

Flamers have a very oddball heat generation. Unlike any other weapon in the game does the flamer generate exponential heat the longer it is used, both on you and the enemy. If you were to only use the flmaber within the 90m range, your opponent would always have a faster heat builup than you do. You cannot overheat an enemy with the flamer however. Once the enemy hits 90% heat, the flamer does not cause increased heat buildup, but also cut out the cooling, which makes the next enemy shot very likely to push them over the limit.

To counter the exponential heat builup, you can use chain fire. This make them less effective against your enemy, but help keeping your heat in check. If you want to use flamers, I reccomend 4 to 6 flamers, with two groups, one set for chain fire and one alpha and mix them with some weapons that can cause some actual damage. While flamers are considered extremely underwhelming by the majority of players, that certainly doesn't stop them from shooting your direction while using them.

#3 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:24 AM

The idea behind the flamer is to overheat enemy mechs (as you know). They work best on mechs that have been firing their weapons and generating heat themselves. Once they have overheated and shut down then you kill them with real weapons (but I have been bbq'd to death before by someone boating flamers so it can be done. The two bonuses with flamers are they are good crit seekers like machine guns once the armor has been stripped and they can be used to blind your enemy while you fire real weapons at them. I don't really pilot novas but 12 flames sounds like it would run really hot.

Edited by 3xnihilo, 12 October 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#4 tabc3dd

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:34 AM

Thank you for the replies. So basically I need some flamers and something else that can push the enemy past 90% and deal real damage. I might give it a try if I can amass enough MC.

#5 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:03 AM

C-Bills, you need to be amassing C-Bills.

And don't let me dissuade you from trying it. :) Since we all had to get it out of our system at some point, and a big part of the fun of this game is trying wacky equipment combos. Just don't expect too much out of a flamer spam. Once you get tired of a template weapon that ignores cover saves, swap those flamers out for medium lasers, (or small pulse if you're still feeling wacky). B)

Have fun mate. As one of the populace who :wub: this game, I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Edited by juxstapo, 12 October 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#6 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:22 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 12 October 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

a template weapon that ignores cover saves

Love the 40K reference. :wub:

View Posttabc3dd, on 12 October 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

Thank you for the replies. So basically I need some flamers and something else that can push the enemy past 90% and deal real damage. I might give it a try if I can amass enough MC.

The Flamer is a bait weapon. You cook your opponent up to 90%, and set them up for a serious world of hurt from over heating if they fire any weapon (other than MGs). It's perfect against energy heavy builds, however, as a weapon it is very lackluster right now, and work as a secondary weapon, not a primary one. They are a great trap, and against un-armored sections they would wreak havoc on your opponents.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 12 October 2014 - 04:23 AM.

#7 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

I've tried a flamer-spamming Thunderbolt and I mostly just end up overheating myself. Weapon could use a little help, I think. I rarely see anyone but Adders use them.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

If they caused too much heat directly to the enemy it would be a balance issue; they would be very easy to use to "stun lock" an enemy with by overheating him there indefinitely.

As it is now, the hard cap of 90% heat on the enemy and exponential rising means they will require some skill and dedication (and a little luck) to really pull it off. with practice they an be used to effectively single out enemies with hot builds, keep that at ~90% heat, and force them into overheating with their next attack. They also disrupt the enemy's vision and can have a psychological effect on an enemy.

They're not useless but they do not do a lot of damage and are not a simple DPS flamethrower weapon like you might find in many other games.

#9 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

IMO the flamer is only really good at blinding the target and with ballistics being fairly heat efficient and prolific I wouldn't count on a batch of flamers to save my bacon in a brawl. FWIW put one, maybe 2 flamers on that nova and load up with some MLs or SLs for the rest of your slots.

Disclaimer: I haven't used a flamer in a long while, so there may be some who are successful with them. I'm not one of those.

#10 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

I shall now run a mech called "Juxtbecause" and mount a flamer on it to troll the officers.

Perhaps with a brace of machine guns?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...010a0712bf25882

Edited by Macksheen, 12 October 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#11 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

I had a blast with this one. Got a few kills and harassed a lot of them. It's fun watching your opponent shut down infront of you. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c4573462e01194

[EDIT] It works in all maps too without much problem. I've tested it in Terra Therma and it is possible to get kills using just flamers.. chainfiring them works but.. it will take you WAY too long to take them out and it's just not as effective as using them all at the same time.[/edit]

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 12 October 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#12 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostMacksheen, on 12 October 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

I shall now run a mech called "Juxtbecause" and mount a flamer on it to troll the officers.

Perhaps with a brace of machine guns?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...010a0712bf25882

How about a LCT-1V with 4MGs, 3 tons of MG ammo, and a flamer instead of the ML? Maximum troll face engagned.

#13 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 12 October 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

How about a LCT-1V with 4MGs, 3 tons of MG ammo, and a flamer instead of the ML? Maximum troll face engagned.

It started as a total troll build but I've actually had a fair bit of luck with this guy right here...

LCT-3M "Fire-Bug"

#14 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:27 AM

Flamers are not effective and have invisible/broken heat buildup pools which are separate from the heat pool you can see in your hud. I thought the Flamer would be re-engineered back when the Firestarter was released but they still remain a low priority to fix. Set the flamers aside until you see flamer anything in some future patch notes.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 13 October 2014 - 03:28 AM.

#15 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:22 AM

Flamers are probably one of the most useless if not the most useless weapon in the game. Sad but true, but this isn't to say it doesn't have cool aspects.

Examples would be in a brawl at 90 meters if you are blasting the glass of the enemy mech they can't see, then it also does the heat thing that others have already mentioned. But sadly outside of all that it is not usable because it cause you more heat then the enemy which bites you in the end if you are using it for its purpose.

#16 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

I think what really kills the flamer for me is that I can overheat from them but the enemy can't. If it had the same 90% heat cap for the user as the victim, I would probably like them as an MG alternative, though those aren't exactly the most fearsome weapons either.

#17 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

How flamers work....

1) Buy Mech

2) See Flamers on it...."hmm"

3) Unequip Flamers

4) Sell

5) Celebrate :D :P :) :lol:

#18 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

Flamers,how do they work? was the question,and the answer is no,they dont.

Great for blinding and trolling people otherwise no. Just no.

#19 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostTim East, on 13 October 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

I think what really kills the flamer for me is that I can overheat from them but the enemy can't. If it had the same 90% heat cap for the user as the victim, I would probably like them as an MG alternative, though those aren't exactly the most fearsome weapons either.

This alone would save flamers for me.

#20 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

Only good use for flamers is to blind the enemy while machine gunning them. They are really limited right now because there are basically no heat penalties.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users