• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:59 AM

View PostODONATA, on 13 October 2014 - 01:35 AM, said:

Try to use your head to think, OK?

Mechs has no lungs, intestines, stomach etc.
Center of gravity should be as lower as possible.
Surface area should be as lower as possible.
Weapons should not be dragged along the ground(like on Timber or Nova).
Don't give me that [redacted]!

Stop beeing insulting.
I made some valid points why the game is as it is.
This are the reasons in BATTLETECH why mechs are designed as they are.
And if you would have the grace to lift your kingly sight to the Title of the game you will see that MWO IS labeled a BATTLETECH GAME.

So...no self styled overpowered rofllcopterhurdurimasoleeticandoandsaywhatiwantamechs for you.

Edited by Mal, 14 October 2014 - 11:04 AM.
cleaned up quoted content

#22 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:31 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 13 October 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

This are the reasons in BATTLETECH why mechs are designed as they are.

Are you study physics in school or just study BATTLETECH comics?
I repeat once more:
No one sober engineer from Earth planet never create something like Centurion,
Hunchback, Trebuchet, Atlas, Firestarter or Summoner.
But on the other hand: Raven, Timber Wolf, Catapult, Cicada is OK.
Especially Raven torso.

Edited by ODONATA, 13 October 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#23 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

When you license something, in general, you do so with the intent of using licensed material.

#24 Sirius Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe Aett

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

View PostODONATA, on 13 October 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

I repeat once more:
But on the other hand Raven, Timber Wolf, Catapult, Cicada is OK.
Especially Raven torso.

And x-wings wouldn't fly in RL. And the Enterprise wouldn't have a warp core and....
Well if you don't like this game on such a Basic level maybe you shouldnt play it?
Because THAT basic level you are complaining about is ALL THIS GAME IS ABOUT.

#25 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:49 AM

View PostSirius Drake, on 13 October 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

And x-wings wouldn't fly in RL.
Well if you don't like this game on such a Basic level maybe you shouldnt play it?
Because THAT basic level you are complaining about is ALL THIS GAME IS ABOUT.

X-wing has an airfoil, 4 jet engines and low drag coefficient. They will fly in real life.
Who said to you that I don't like MWO?

All that I want to say is:
1. I think that if game developers invent new mechs it will be GOOD.
If mechs will be good you will like it.
2. Preferably DO NOT add in game new anthropomorphic mechs.

Edited by ODONATA, 13 October 2014 - 02:50 AM.

#26 Sheriff Cinco

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:50 AM

View PostODONATA, on 13 October 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

I repeat once more:
But on the other hand: Raven, Timber Wolf, Catapult, Cicada is OK.
Especially Raven torso.

A huminoid design would use very little energy to stand unpright where a inverted leg "bird" design would require energy just to stand still. Seriously, stand up right now. Now bend your knees at 45 degrees and see how loong you can stand.

See?

Not that it matters, this is MECHWARRIOR not GENERICGIANTROBOTWARRIOR.

#27 Critical Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:00 AM

And the second they add unique 'mechs that are nothing to do with Battletech, it ceases to be Battletech/Mechwarrior. So how about a big old no to your suggestions and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

#28 Sirius Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe Aett

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

.... I am out of here.

#29 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:19 AM

I am against new mech designs, at least before all existing ones have been implemented. If you want non-battletech mech designs, maybe go play a non-battletech mech game?

View PostRedshift2k5, on 12 October 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

Some MW games have created their own content, which became part of the overall canon and some are much loved by the community. It's a possibility, but there are so many canon mechs still missing (even iconic or fan-favorite ones that will sell better than a new mech nobody has any attachment to) as it stands so there is little reason to start making new mechs.

Information from games is not canon in Battletech.

View PostSheriff Cinco, on 13 October 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

A huminoid design would use very little energy to stand unpright where a inverted leg "bird" design would require energy just to stand still. Seriously, stand up right now. Now bend your knees at 45 degrees and see how loong you can stand.

Sorry to say, but this is complete bullshit. Following your logic, real birds would constantly strain their muscles standing still? You do know that birds can even sleep while sitting on a tree branch?

Edited by zagibu, 13 October 2014 - 03:22 AM.

#30 WhoopieMonster

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:27 AM

This is a battletech game. You can ask for all the none humaniod multilegged mechs you like, but you won't get them unless they are in battletech; which has nothing to do with physics. If you want to discuss the merits of tanks, none humaniod mechs etc then do so. People are calling you out because your asking for none battletech stuff to be put into a battletech game, a basic grasp of common sense should tell you this wont be happening.

There are so many popular mechs not in the game, the devs aren't going to waste time and money making up completely new mechs.

Edit: Birds can stand, but few are prolific runners. A mech that hops about the battlefield would be an amusing sight lol.

Edited by WhoopieMonster, 13 October 2014 - 03:37 AM.

#31 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:29 AM

In conditions of real battlefield anthropomorphic mechs immediately becomes burning stumps. Because of armor angles, clumsiness and their sizes.

Armor angles play no role in BT universe. Both Autocannons and Missile Lauchers all uses HEAP (Heavy Explosive Armor Piercing) rounds, all of which explode on contact to drive high-density shrapnel projectiles into target. The only full AP projectiles in the universe are Gauss Rifles, which travel at such speeds that armor angle again plays no role.

On the contrary, anthropomoprthic Mechs are among the most maneuverable mechs in the universe. They have a profile resembling the human body, which makes them easier to maintain stability in, since all mechs are controlled by pilot's own sense of balance trough the neurohelmet. By lore, anthropomorphic mech can carry, kick, grab, punch, kneel and fire from cover just like an ordinary human can. If it's against your own logic, good luck with Hawken.

Mechs structurual appearance does not necessary affect the mech's size. It's only affect the ratio of profiles in different dimensions. It doesn't increase mech's surface area but differentiate it's distribution in 3D bias.

Mechs has no lungs, intestines, stomach etc.

Yet they have an engine, electrical and heat-transfer circuitry, myomere structure, ammo tranfer structure, endoskeleton, frame, gyroscope and computer systems, all of which has to fit somewhere.

Center of gravity should be as lower as possible.

Which is exactly why if mech's original concept includes arm mounted weapons with lower arm actuation, that allows weapon convergence independent from the torso, you'll have to make them lower disposed to maintain center of mass closer to the mech's core!

Surface area should be as lower as possible.

Depends on the mech's original technical concept it can be surpassed to allow mech to combat in close quarters better and give it the actuators to grappling and physical attacks. It doesn't set in stone, but depends on the mech's role.

Weapons should not be dragged along the ground(like on Timber or Nova)

Again, if you have a mech designed to have weapons mounted into arms with extended movement freedom, you'd require to relocate them lower in order to keep center of mass below the vertical dimension's center, otherwise the mech will be extremely unreliable and hard to keep straight.

Edited by DivineEvil, 13 October 2014 - 03:34 AM.

#32 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

View Postzagibu, on 13 October 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

I am against new mech designs, at least before all existing ones have been implemented. If you want non-battletech mech designs, maybe go play a non-battletech mech game?

OK. If they develop any kind of new mech and add it to sarna.net wiki it automatically becomes BATTLETECH mech.
Also if I buy a mechwarrior franchise I can make battlemech from your hoover.

#33 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

This is some impressive level of stubbornness.

#34 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:48 AM

I'm all for new Mech designs. They can have add a couple new ones but they should focus on getting the originals in. If they never plan on adding the weapons that come in later in the timeline that shouldn't take as much time before they start cranking out new mech designs anyways. Unless they decide to use old weapons instead of future weapons for mechs out of our timeline.

Edited by Keeshu, 13 October 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#35 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

View PostODONATA, on 13 October 2014 - 03:38 AM, said:

OK. If they develop any kind of new mech and add it to sarna.net wiki it automatically becomes BATTLETECH mech.
Also if I buy a mechwarrior franchise I can make battlemech from your hoover.

It doesn't quite work that way. If you add something to sarna.net with no source whatsoever, it will be removed. If you add something to a Mechwarrior game that is not present in the source material, it will stay, but there will be a notice that material from games is not canon.

But that's not my point. My point is, if you hate humanoid mechs so much, why do you play a Battletech game at all?

#36 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

View Postzagibu, on 13 October 2014 - 03:50 AM, said:

It doesn't quite work that way. If you add something to sarna.net with no source whatsoever, it will be removed. If you add something to a Mechwarrior game that is not present in the source material, it will stay, but there will be a notice that material from games is not canon.

But that's not my point. My point is, if you hate humanoid mechs so much, why do you play a Battletech game at all?

Owner of MechWarrior® copyrights can create new mechs. And they automatically becomes BattleMechs from BattleTech.
I don't hate humanoid mechs I just say that they are ridiculous from the common sense point of view.

Edited by ODONATA, 13 October 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#37 Sirius Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe Aett

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

View PostODONATA, on 13 October 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

Owner of MechWarrior® copyrights can create new mechs. And they automatically becomes BattleMechs from BattleTech.
I don't hate humanoid mechs I just say that they are ridiculous from the common sense point of view.

Because of more reasons i care and can explain, extending an IP like that isn't possible.

#38 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

I saw this one posted once before, but it bears some opportunities to be presented again. I know its not new, but the cheese/kill stealing beastie known as the Piranha....

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Piranha
Armament Who doesn't want 12 x MGs.......

get rid of those lasers and get me more AMMO!

Edited by poopenshire, 13 October 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#39 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:46 AM

Hmmm, let's spin the wheel of antagonism!

Is the OP:
1) Trolling
2) Facing such a language barrier that he comes off as a condescending douche despite his good intentions
3) genuinely a combative and condescending douche
4) someone who very much believes they are right and everyone else is wrong no matter what ala Rush Limbaugh
5) Mystery Option!!!!1!1!!!one!!!1!!

#40 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

View PostODONATA, on 12 October 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

I think it will be OK if game developers will create mechs that never appeared in the Mechwarrior universe. And MWO community can helps in that.

Are you agree with me?

Nope. ;)

Sense and logic has no part in the design of BattleTech. Otherwise close range battles wouldn't exist, Mechs would more a lot less interesting and more utilitarian and, actually, they probably wouldn't exist in the first place. :P

Edited by AUSwarrior24, 13 October 2014 - 04:48 AM.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users