#101 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostMercules, on 13 October 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Yes and no. As a specialized combat vehicle things like Tanks and other vehicles are probably cheaper, easier, and better in any situation they will excel at. Battlemechs, by concept in the Battletech universe are supposed to be the, "Go anywhere to do whatever is needed in whatever way they can."

Tanks can't climb a vertical incline, Mechs with hands and arms can.
Tanks can't rip open a warehouse, pick up a particular shipping create, and run for it. You would need to bulldoze through a wall and then get out and strap the crate to the outside of the tank.
Tanks can't traverse a deep fast river by wading across it. They would need a bridging unit.
Aircraft are still much more maneuverable than Mechs but mechs are more durable.

Very true. Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't the original mechs made for non-combat duty initially? Kinda starting out like the loaders in Aliens and then evolving into combat machines?

#102 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostDracol, on 13 October 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Very true. Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't the original mechs made for non-combat duty initially? Kinda starting out like the loaders in Aliens and then evolving into combat machines?

I don't remember if they came specifically first but they are definitely there in the background the whole time.

#103 ackstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

ODONATA, give it up. Its not going to happen, and frankly I'm glad. There are TONS of already existing Battletech mech designs waiting to be created in this game and many rabid fans waiting eagerly to play them.

There is absolutely no need to change that and anyone who thinks there is, should go play a different game where your alternative ideas would be accepted. There are other robot games out there where they are pulling **** out of their asses and they might actually listen to you. But not here. Not this game. You lost.

Edited by ackstorm, 13 October 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#104 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Yes, IndustrialMechs precede BattleMechs in BattleTech history:

"IndustrialMechs are rare on the battlefield, but widely used across the commercial and industrial sectors of the Inner Sphere. Born even before the first BattleMechs, by the time of the Star League era, these myomer-driven ’Mechs played a role in various aspects of life, from farming, construction and loading DropShip cargo bays to police work and so on. After the fall of the Star League, these IndustrialMechs (also known as UtilityMechs or WorkMechs) fell into disuse, their parts often scavenged to repair BattleMechs. As the Succession Wars raged on, the technology needed to build and repair ’Mechs declined and the Successor States concentrated their dwindling technological resources on the BattleMechs they needed to continue fighting."
- Tech Manual, p. 9

There are quite some differences between IndustrialMechs and BattleMechs though, it's not enough to slap some armour and weaponry on an IndustrialMech to get a BattleMech.

Edited by stjobe, 13 October 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#105 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Well this thread was productive, I got to add somebody to my ignore list. Haven't had to do that in a bit.

#106 Mattiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 400 posts
  • LocationAthenry

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

Nope, nope, nope. PGI already invoked furor back in closed beta when they started making up Hero 'Mechs. I can only imagine the rage that would occur if they introduced a 'Mech like the OP's concept that seems to have only the meta specifically in mind.

EDIT: While we're on the topic of old, I would pay good money for a RetroTech pack with like the Mackie, Hector, Kyudo, and Wasp in it. Seriously.

Edited by Mattiator, 13 October 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#107 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostMattiator, on 13 October 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

EDIT: While we're on the topic of old, I would pay good money for a RetroTech pack with like the Mackie, Hector, Kyudo, and Wasp in it. Seriously.

You won't see the Wasp until Harmony Gold finally keels over, curse them all to hell.

#108 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

You're correct, there were construction mechs and industrial mechs used in parallel to the creation of battlemechs for their early uses. These were resurrected as a concept and used heavily in the fiction for the 'Dark Age' battletech novels as it was effectively a technological reboot as part of the idea for that with very few Battlemechs surviving the Word of Blake Jihad, and Devlin Stone destroying all the excess after the rise of the Republic of the Sphere except for those used by his 'Knights' and those in private ownership.

#109 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

This thread needs more Farm Mechs.

http://www.sarna.net.../AgroMech_Mk_II

#110 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

How is this thread not locked yet? This guy is clearly a troll, or on some serious drugs(guessing uppers), and this discussion is both pointless and just going to lead to him being flamed to death for his poor english, failure to make any valid points, and hyperactivity...

I'm berating myself for having even read it....

#111 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

View PostKodyn, on 13 October 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

How is this thread not locked yet? This guy is clearly a troll, or on some serious drugs(guessing uppers), and this discussion is both pointless and just going to lead to him being flamed to death for his poor english, failure to make any valid points, and hyperactivity...

I'm berating myself for having even read it....

I'm not a troll but I'm tired from yours criticism so I decided to change my topc head post to russian movie about two mech pilots in prison.

#112 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

Not trying to be mean, but perhaps if you slowed down your typing, used some grammar, punctuation, clearly stated your points, etc, people would have an easier time taking you seriously. I understand english may not be your first language, and it does suck trying to communicate through language barriers, but if you're trying to get people who speak and read english to understand your topic, this will really help.

Also, more to the point, you're talking about adding entirely different products into a game about Battletech...that's like saying you don't get why they don't have Star Trek ships in a Star Wars game....this is a specific franchise, so obviously the mechs are all going to follow the themes that go along with said franchise, therefore, the point is kind of moot.

#113 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostKodyn, on 13 October 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Not trying to be mean, but perhaps if you slowed down your typing, used some grammar, punctuation, clearly stated your points, etc, people would have an easier time taking you seriously. I understand english may not be your first language, and it does suck trying to communicate through language barriers, but if you're trying to get people who speak and read english to understand your topic, this will really help.

Also, more to the point, you're talking about adding entirely different products into a game about Battletech...that's like saying you don't get why they don't have Star Trek ships in a Star Wars game....this is a specific franchise, so obviously the mechs are all going to follow the themes that go along with said franchise, therefore, the point is kind of moot.

Almost neither mechs from sarna.net wiki is really suitable to porting into that game. Why it's impossible to create new ones?

>you slowed down your typing, used some grammar, punctuation, clearly stated your points, etc
Where I said something wrong?

Edited by ODONATA, 13 October 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#114 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostODONATA, on 13 October 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Almost neither mechs from sarna.net wiki is really suitable to porting into that game. Why it's impossible to create new ones?

>you slowed down your typing, used some grammar, punctuation, clearly stated your points, etc

I'm not even going to touch this... Never mind, I tried, lol.

#115 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostODONATA, on 13 October 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Do you base that on statistics and technicalities or just because you don't like the aesthetics of them?

#116 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostKodyn, on 13 October 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

I'm not even going to touch this... Never mind, I tried, lol.

So advice for me some sources for improving English grammar and punctuation.

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 13 October 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Do you base that on statistics and technicalities or just because you don't like the aesthetics of them?

They technical characteristics is ok. But statistics and technicalities is nothing. I can imagine specs for 20 new mechs during one hour. Yes, didn't like their aesthetics. OK I agree to play some of existing mechs because anyway during porting they becomes different from those sarna butt images. But if you port some mech don't bungle it(remember Nova low hands?).

#117 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

Situation with that thread remindes me that video:

#118 Cybercrime

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationping 183

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

Situation with porting of original BattleMechs reminds me that video:

#119 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostKodyn, on 13 October 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Not trying to be mean, but perhaps if you slowed down your typing, used some grammar, punctuation, clearly stated your points, etc, people would have an easier time taking you seriously.

It would also be easier to take him seriously if he didn't insult everyone that disagrees with him and casually dismiss any criticism of his ideas. It's like the pinnacle of psychopathic thinking, "I'm great and all who disagree with me are obviously my inferiors." Hell, look at post #119, he's even toolbag enough to "like" his own posts.

#120 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

View PostEscef, on 13 October 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

It would also be easier to take him seriously if he didn't insult everyone that disagrees with him and casually dismiss any criticism of his ideas. It's like the pinnacle of psychopathic thinking, "I'm great and all who disagree with me are obviously my inferiors." Hell, look at post #119, he's even toolbag enough to "like" his own posts.

The heck of it is his origional idea wasn't a terrible one. At least it wasnt before he turned the OP into, as near as I can tell without watching the video, a Prison **** video. It's his reaction to peoples comments that has hurt his cause. I'm not opposed to custom mechs but we don't really need to go that route right now so his suggestion is ill timed. There are just so many mechs out there with some pretty interesting geometry that we haven't tapped into yet. Alot of the times when other companies made their own mechs it was because it was a time era that didn't really have alot of depth. 3050 does not fall itno that category.

37 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users