Larger Maximum Engine Sizes For Awesomes

30 replies to this topic

#1 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Earlier today I was leveling basic techs on awesomes.

I made an awesome 8Q build with a 275XL, 3 PPC's and 3 medium lasers. Every available space filled with DHS, and a BAP in the center torso for laughs.

I think I managed to loadout 70 tons. Still had 10 tons I couldn't find a use for, without using endo or ferro.

Would it be possible to upscale maximum engine sizes for some awesome variants from 300 to 360 or 400?

I coudn't guess what the initial reasoning was for an engine limit of 300 for sone variants.

Given that many medium, heavy and assault mechs mount much larger engines. Maybe it would be fair to give awesomes an engine size boost?

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

awesomes arnt supposed to go fast though.

it makes more sense to make awesomes better at what theyre supposed to be good at... being vanguard assault mechs with huge amounts of armor and 3+ large energy weapons.

#3 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

First, congrats on picking the best mech in the game.

I would agree taking them up to 325 would be a good idea not from a speed perspective but from a carry an extra heat sync perspective.

Also, on your 8Q you might want to consider switching to a standard engine,

#4 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

8q represent

yea i would like a bigger engine but what are you going to do

300std on all my awesomes

#5 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostKhobai, on 13 October 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

it makes more sense to make awesomes better at what theyre supposed to be good at... being vanguard assault mechs with huge amounts of armor and 3+ large energy weapons.

IIRR, awesomes had a top speed near 80 kph in MW4.

That made me think awesomes might go faster than 50-60 kph.

Awesomes lack the high number of hardpoints stalker have, maybe they could use a larger engine max to give them a speed and maneuverability advantage over the stalker that would define more of a niche role.

#6 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

i made this suggestion before and they told me basically it was lore, but they already upped them to 300xl LOL

i agree though it is the best chassis, at least for me it is.

how can you not find use for 10 tons lol? i am always running out of space on mine!
upgrade those 3 med lasers for med pulses and get ams

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostKhobai, on 13 October 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

The larger engine isn't for speed. The larger engine is to accomodate more DHS for those energy weapons, because the mech runs out of critical slots way too fast. Even without Endo Steel.

Edited by FupDup, 13 October 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#8 Greziz

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

With fifteens tons of armor plating the Awesome is one of the most heavily-armored assault 'Mechs, making it better protected than even the BattleMaster, including some of the thickest rear armor of any 'Mech. Although an enemy coming at it from the rear or left flank has a fighting chance, most soldiers agree that "the only defense against an Awesome is another Awesome."

Also in mw4 the awesome was going like 80 kph I always imagined the awesome as a super fast long range assault as it makes up for its lack of heavy ballistics with some speed.

As is my favorite variant is the awesome that uses the xl385 because it just feels so RIGHT! The pretty baby is nice and all with the xl400? but the inability to slow down makes it feel like a really crappy boat.

#9 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Or at least make all Awesomes nimble. Alot of times people take big engines not merely for fast straight-line speed, but for quicker turning and acceleration / deceleration. The Awesomes that are limited to 300-rated engines start and stop slowly, turn and twist slowly, which when combined with that big target profile, is not good.

Those variants limited to 300-rated engines should use a different formula for their accel/decel and twist/turn rates in terms of how it scales with engine rating.

#10 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

There is no engine rating higher that 400.

What's that? You don't want to buy a Pretty Baby? You want to give 400 rating engines to everybody and negate the only advantage (a term I use loosely) the Pretty Baby has?

Seems to me if you aren't willing to buy a Pretty Baby then you don't want a higher rating engines on an awesome anywhere near enough.

#11 MrMadguy

• 2,202 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

I also have BAPs in 2 or 3 Awesome builds just to waste excessive weight. Bigger engines would be great idea.

#12 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

Will we get a Zeus or a Charger in time? If so the Awesome don't need more speed.
If we don't get both Mechs - increase in speed should be possible

#13 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

:rolleyes:
Just when I thought I read it all. :rolleyes:
your not suppose to go fast... :rolleyes:

Whats next Atl want Jj and to be able to go as fast as a locust? :rolleyes:

and one more :rolleyes: for the :rolleyes: of it.

#14 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostFunkadelic Mayhem, on 13 October 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Er, Yes please. Where do I sign up for this?

I'll settle for a Marauder 2

#15 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 13 October 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

Earlier today I was leveling basic techs on awesomes.

I made an awesome 8Q build with a 275XL, 3 PPC's and 3 medium lasers. Every available space filled with DHS, and a BAP in the center torso for laughs.

I think I managed to loadout 70 tons. Still had 10 tons I couldn't find a use for, without using endo or ferro.

Would it be possible to upscale maximum engine sizes for some awesome variants from 300 to 360 or 400?

I coudn't guess what the initial reasoning was for an engine limit of 300 for sone variants.

Given that many medium, heavy and assault mechs mount much larger engines. Maybe it would be fair to give awesomes an engine size boost?

Im scratching my head here wondering why you didnt use a STD engine in there.

Or get a 9M with an XL400.

#16 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 13 October 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

how can you not find use for 10 tons lol? i am always running out of space on mine!
upgrade those 3 med lasers for med pulses and get ams

Solved the weight issue by adding a 4th ppc. Runs like a champ.

Posted Image

View PostGreziz, on 13 October 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

With fifteens tons of armor plating the Awesome is one of the most heavily-armored assault 'Mechs, making it better protected than even the BattleMaster, including some of the thickest rear armor of any 'Mech. Although an enemy coming at it from the rear or left flank has a fighting chance, most soldiers agree that "the only defense against an Awesome is another Awesome."

Also in mw4 the awesome was going like 80 kph I always imagined the awesome as a super fast long range assault as it makes up for its lack of heavy ballistics with some speed.

As is my favorite variant is the awesome that uses the xl385 because it just feels so RIGHT! The pretty baby is nice and all with the xl400? but the inability to slow down makes it feel like a really crappy boat.

Not sure what that passage is saying. Every assault in the game has more armor than an awesome except the victor which has the same values.

Pretty Baby having only 2 real energy hardpoints seems to have crippled it. Its only roles are LRM or SRM boat. It doesn't have a ballistic hardpoint or additional laser hardpoints to be more versatile. Dual ER PPC's or dual ER LL's aren't enough punch. I'm liking the 8Q better than PB.

View PostThomasMarik, on 13 October 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

There is no engine rating higher that 400.

What's that? You don't want to buy a Pretty Baby? You want to give 400 rating engines to everybody and negate the only advantage (a term I use loosely) the Pretty Baby has?

Seems to me if you aren't willing to buy a Pretty Baby then you don't want a higher rating engines on an awesome anywhere near enough.

Uh, I have a Pretty Baby.

Think of it this way. An atlas can mount a 360 xl and travel 64 kph. A banshee can mount a 400 XL and hit 75 kph. A battlemaster with a 400 engine can do 83 kph.

An awesome with a 300 xl does 66 kph. Awesome's have no advantage anywhere. They have no niche role. Not in armor, hardpoints, versatility or speed. Allowing them to mount larger engines would at least give them a speed advantage over 95 ton banshees which at max are close to 10 kph faster.

Even a boar's head with 400xl is faster and more maneuverable than an awesome. Which at 20 tons heavier, seems contradictory.

View PostFunkadelic Mayhem, on 13 October 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Just when I thought I read it all. :rolleyes:
your not suppose to go fast... :rolleyes:

and one more :rolleyes: for the :rolleyes: of it.

Mech Commander 2's final boss was a modified Atlas with jump jets. Its been done. 10+ years ago.

View PostReitrix, on 13 October 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

Im scratching my head here wondering why you didnt use a STD engine in there.

Or get a 9M with an XL400.

I ran an XL engine in a stalker.

That's the only mech I couldn't run an XL in.

#17 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:33 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 14 October 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

View PostI Zeratul I, on 14 October 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

Not sure what that passage is saying. Every assault in the game has more armor than an awesome except the victor which has the same values.

Pretty Baby having only 2 real energy hardpoints seems to have crippled it. Its only roles are LRM or SRM boat. It doesn't have a ballistic hardpoint or additional laser hardpoints to be more versatile. Dual ER PPC's or dual ER LL's aren't enough punch. I'm liking the 8Q better than PB.

Think of it this way. An atlas can mount a 360 xl and travel 64 kph. A banshee can mount a 400 XL and hit 75 kph. A battlemaster with a 400 engine can do 83 kph.

An awesome with a 300 xl does 66 kph. Awesome's have no advantage anywhere. They have no niche role. Not in armor, hardpoints, versatility or speed. Allowing them to mount larger engines would at least give them a speed advantage over 95 ton banshees which at max are close to 10 kph faster.

Even a boar's head with 400xl is faster and more maneuverable than an awesome. Which at 20 tons heavier, seems contradictory.

Mech Commander 2's final boss was a modified Atlas with jump jets. Its been done. 10+ years ago.

My post was directed towards your statement of 10 spare tons.
Also, Awesomes are incredibly tanky now with that CT armor bonus.
Seeing that loadout is a dead giveaway that you're running an XL, and thus you're going to live half as long against a skilled opponent.

Don't get me wrong, I still run my 9M with an XL400 on occasion, i actually found that the 3x PPC 2xML with a 275 STD is now as good with heat as the XL400 build, even though that XL400 lets you cram more DHS, the new Energy quirks more than make up for it.

#18 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

It already got an engine upgrade buff I thought.

#19 Greziz

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

Bro the 9m Awesome only can mount a 385 engine only the pretty baby is able to use a 400. If your gunna pretend you have a mech atleast I unno check its stats out with smurfy or something?

#20 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

I don't really see a point in running a xl , you can run the 8q with a std 300, 2 ppcs, 5 mlas, and 21dhs. You'd be cooler and pack more of a punch up close and be far more durable.

The issues you highlighted regarding the deficiencies of the aws chassis are exactly why pgi acknowledges they are tier 5 mechs. Well see how they fare after the IS balance pass coming up. I personally don't see a higher engine cap as the cure, the 9m and pretty baby have high caps and can both go over 85, but they aren't much better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users