what can I use or do to counter ECM ?

#2 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:28 AM

BAP, TAG, another ECM running counter mode.

#3 Kesslan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:35 AM

UAVs will also temporarily partially counter ECM in their field of view so long as they are up and NARC beacons will also shut an ECM unit down for it's duration unless there's a second ECM unit to block the beacon.

#4 Nayonac

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 81 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKorriban

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:38 AM

Shot the ECM with a PPC, that does it too

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:20 AM

Another ECM set to counter (J to toggle by default)
a BAP in it's active 150m radius (Note that ECM has a wider radius at 180m so there are ranges where the BAP isn't close enough to work but the ECM is)
a NARC attached to the ECM mech (not it's allies)
UAV
TAG will pierce ECM and allow a target, if you TAG the ECM mech their ecm is still "up" but you can get a lock.
direct shot with a PPC will null ECM for a few seconds.
Remove the section with ECM or crit the ECM item (Left torso for IS mechs, right arm for kitfox)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 14 October 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

I just mounted a BAP and it was not working against the ECM Atlas so I must have been outside of 120m

I don't want to count on someone else for counter-counter measures

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 14 October 2014 - 05:59 AM, said:

I just mounted a BAP and it was not working against the ECM Atlas so I must have been outside of 120m

I don't want to count on someone else for counter-counter measures

Yeah, watch your ranges. ECM has a wider range than your BAP, and the Atlas also could have had backup; if another ECM mech you didn't see also has ECM, they'll out-number your one BAP.

Doesn't hurt to take a screenshot so we can see what's going on, but it can be hard to get the exact range on a target that's got ECM up and you can't get targetting information.

#8 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

ECM is broken in this game. Learn to target manually is the only real way around it.

#9 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

To counter ECM ...

... for yourself only:
  • Get below 180 meters (No ECM cover if you get this close but you can't share targeting data)
... at range:
  • shoot it with a PPC or ER-PPC to disable the ECM cover for a few seconds (works against multiple ECMs)
  • mark a single Target under ECM cover with a TAG to disable the ECM cover while the TAG is on the target (works against multiple ECMs)
  • mark an ECM carrying mech with NARC to disable the ECM cover for this mech while the NARC works (works only against this one target)
... to make them targetable for everyone:
  • mount an Active Probe, to disable a single enemy ECM within 150 meter radius of your position. You can now share targeting data. You need multiple APs to counter multiple ECMs.
  • use your own ECM in counter mode, to disturb a single enemy ECM within 180 meter radius of your position. You can now share targeting data. You need multiple ECMs to counter multiple ECMs
  • use an UAV consumable module, to counter all enemy ECMs below the UAV
Some modules, like advanced sensor range, will increase the detection range.

Edited by Egomane, 14 October 2014 - 06:29 AM.

#10 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

Alternatively, there might have been another ECM bubble nearby. Your BAP can only disable one ECM at a time.

These are several ways to counter ECM:
  • BAP can disable one ECM device within 150m
  • ECM in counter mode can disable one ECM device within 180m
  • Direct hit with a PPC will disable ECM for 5 seconds
  • Direct hit with NARC will disable ECM for 20-30 seconds, but another nearby ECM may still block targeting
  • TAG allows ECM'd mechs to be targeted but does not disable the sensor-scrambling effect of ECM
  • UAV allows ECM'd mechs to be targeted within 180-240m but does not disable the sensor-scrambling effect of ECM within 180m

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

cool thanks for the info

I was giving CS-SRM's a try

#12 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

Just for further clarification as most people have been saying TAG, NARC, ECM set to counter, BAP, PPC and UAV can all counter ECM, however there is more to it than just being able to counter the ECM.

regardless of if the mech you are targeting is under ECM, if you are within range of enemy ECM you will still suffer the effects of ECM

TAG will always completely counter ECM and allow a lock to get target info and fire LRMs, but only as long as the TAG is held on target and the target remains within 750m
UAV will enable targeting of all enemy Mechs within 240m as long as it remains active regardless of weather they are covered by ECM

in the other cases another active ECM in range will still prevent/slow down target locks

NARC and PPC (as well as ERPPC and Clan ERPPC) only counter the ECM of the mech they hit, and only for a limited time (I think 4 seconds for PPC and 20 seconds for NARC, so if there is another ECM Mech within range they will not help

An ECM set to counter and BAP (or the Clan Active Probe) only cancel ECM within a certain range (I think 180 m for cECM and 150m for BAP)

#13 Atomic Funk

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSacramento, Ca., USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Kill the mech running ECM. Bing bam and all she wrote.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

I believe a PPC shot will disable ECM for 4 seconds. No one ever seems to know exactly how long but I remember reading this when the feature was added. I'm too lazy to look up the patchnotes for reference though so take that as you will.

#15 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

I am finding nothing works as advertised

the CS-SRMs say 385m but on the testing grounds it does not do any damage at 385m

I put BAP and TAG but feel lucky if you hit anything, the reticle has to be right on the moving target
then its 7 sec for the next shot

back to the drawing board

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 14 October 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

I am finding nothing works as advertised

the CS-SRMs say 385m but on the testing grounds it does not do any damage at 385m

I put BAP and TAG but feel lucky if you hit anything, the reticle has to be right on the moving target
then its 7 sec for the next shot

back to the drawing board

Sounds like you might have a weapon module installed for that streak srm6 and perhaps the testing grounds isn't taking that into account (there are sometimes discreptancies until they get bug fixed). Try it in game.
BAP works automatically without doing anything.
The TAG has to be continuously fired on target to work. It's effect only lasts for 1 second.

#17 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'd like to offer an alternative. I don't care for streak missile systems as they can be easily defeated by ECM and once fired they hit random locations on a Mech. The last one really gets me. Nothing like getting killed by an enemy because the streaks won't hit the red CT. Try using standard SRMS with the Artemis upgrade. The weight of the SRM 4 is the same for the Streak and Artemis and the Artemis SRM 6 weighs a half ton less than the Streak. Artemis SRM 2 loses out weighing a half ton more. I prefer the SRM with Artemis to the Streak, but it's just my opinion.

#18 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

You can hold down the TAG button and "fire" it forever

#19 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

AC20 to the face. What?

#20 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 14 October 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I believe a PPC shot will disable ECM for 4 seconds. No one ever seems to know exactly how long but I remember reading this when the feature was added. I'm too lazy to look up the patchnotes for reference though so take that as you will.

Chainfire ppcs and have no regrests.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users