- - - - -

What Ways Can I Counter Ecm

34 replies to this topic

#21 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

It might also be helpful to know where the ECM is located on a mech if you're looking to destroy it.

At the time of this post, I believe all ECM is located on the left torso on capable mechs (so, on the right side when you're facing them head-on). The exception is the Kit-Fox, which has a non-standard omnipod left arm you can get for it.

For the Atlas-DDC, that'll be the missile side that does not have the big a*s gun(s). Usually people will look to knock out the AC/20 on the DDC first though.

For the Spider and Commando variants that can mount ECM, that info probably isn't really helpful because most folks can't focus that precise torso shots on fast-moving lights anyway. The good thing is, those models have a lower engine cap than the others, so untweaked, the fastest they go is about 135 kph (~150 kph tweaked). This max speed is also about what the Raven-3L can get. Interestingly enough, the Cicada-3M has a similar max speed. However, a lot of people don't use the biggest engine in that mech so they can mount more weapons. People almost always use XL engines in these mechs so if you manage to completely destroy that left torso, that's a plus too.

The Kit-Fox is a slow light which makes it a little easier to take out that left arm. That arm is actually also capable of mounting three AMS, so if you see a Kit Fox with some pill thingies sticking out of its arm, it's likely got ECM in that arm as well.

For Clan Wave 2, I believe there are 2 mechs that have ECM-capable omnipods: The Mist Lynx (25 tonner, left arm) and the Hellbringer (65 tonner, left torso). I dunno if there will be any additional omnipods like the Kit-Fox has that can mount ECM.

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 14 October 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#22 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 14 October 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

ECM is broken in this game. Learn to target manually is the only real way around it.

That's kind of the point of having ECM.

In my experiance besides the listed methods, teamwork comes in handy as well. The communications chat is ponderous, but simply typing out a quick team message that you see an ECM mech or have one near you can sometimes get people over to help.

#23 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

well TAG did not work against the ECM Atlas I could not get lock

let me back up I got a lock and one shot off but then after that I could not get a lock

reinstalled CBAP and will try it

#24 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

For using streak srm, carry a probe. ECM on counter mode if you can.

ALWAYS carry a UAV. 40k C-bills. Learn to use it properly and you can farm some C-bills and a good amount of XP.

In general, aggressive play will help vs ECM.

ECM works so well in Puglandia because the main tactic is to camp and peek-a-boo.
ECM enhances the hiding so of course it favors that style of play.

If you watch Comp play, they really only seem to mention ECM in its ability to hide your damage. Little is said about its stealth abilities let alone LRM counter because high level play favors direct fire over indirect fire to a large degree.

Now, organizing a push in Puglandia is a good idea...if you can herd cats. Dont expect miracles.

#25 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 14 October 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

cool thanks for the info

I was giving CS-SRM's a try

For the record CAP doesn't work the same way as BAP. It can only disable ECM on the mech mounting it, if you lock on to the ECM mech.

#26 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

Well I mounted and un-mounted the S-SRM's three times, I can’t seem to get a full match without them getting shot off or I have a DISCO

They sure look cool when a shot chases a light around a corner but that only happened once

I spent over 50 million C-bills trying stuff out so I have to take a break to build my funs up again

I will then move on to the next weapon

Thanks everyone

#27 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 16 October 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Well I mounted and un-mounted the S-SRM's three times, I can’t seem to get a full match without them getting shot off or I have a DISCO

They sure look cool when a shot chases a light around a corner but that only happened once

I spent over 50 million C-bills trying stuff out so I have to take a break to build my funs up again

I will then move on to the next weapon

Thanks everyone

No problem buddy.

#28 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

In order for TAG to work, you need to be outside the ECM bubble of the enemy mech. If you're inside, tag it all day to no effect. FWIW, I run a stormcrow with clan streaks, a BAP and a UAV. It's probably the best, most devastating mech in my stable. Countering ECM is not that difficult, as long as there is only one ECM. Generally, if you have bap and get the ecm jamming signal, find the ECM mech, get close and see if the ECM on the enemy gets crossed out. If it does, lock and fire. If it doesn't get out of there, try to isolate a single ECM mech and try again.

#29 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

A large amount of concentrated fire until the little ECM maggot is no more.

Thats how you counter it

#30 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

Well I tried them yet again managed to kill my own guy but can’t seem to kill the red team

In theory it should be the best weapon in the game

Lock on fire and forget
The description “Short range missile system that fires 6 tracking missiles that will always hit their intended target"

This should be changed to-- Short range rockets that hit the ground buildings your own team mates and sometimes the enemy--

BAP and targeting computer really speeds up targeting time so I did learn something

Oh in case anyone is wondering a rocket is unguided and a missile is guided

#31 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

The best way to combat ECM is to not use LRMs, they aren't even that great in the best of circumstances. Better to rely on direct-fire. Even if you choose to use LRMs, they're probably better off as a support thing. Not something to actually depend on. Mechs and teams made up of only LRMs make for awful, awful compositions in group games where you nullify them (Clan or not) by walking up to them and knowing about cover.

Streak SRMs are only good against lights, and even then are very specialized. They are awful (and should be awful) against any heavier mechs. If you want to be able to 2-4 shot a light mech, you need to pay for it by having to go to lengths to nullify ECM.

Edited by Krivvan, 17 October 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#32 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

Kill the ECM'er with wubwub or dakadaka. Problem solved.

#33 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have my Dakka wolf already

Taking the philosophy go boat or go home I mounted 4 S-SRM6's

I finally got a decent game
I mostly agree with Krivvan but projecting to the 31 century that means the weapons should be effective
Streak SRMs are like running down the highway with a bag of tennis balls trying to hit the cars without being hit

Results (I won’t mention the team kill)

Posted Image

And the load out

Posted Image

Ok back to the Beam-Wolf

#34 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:42 AM

Please remember that despite all logic, TAG, based on hitting a target with a laser, does NOT work when a 'Mech is covered by multiple ECM.

Thank you PGI for that LOVELY piece of game physics

#35 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:00 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 15 October 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

well TAG did not work against the ECM Atlas I could not get lock

let me back up I got a lock and one shot off but then after that I could not get a lock

reinstalled CBAP and will try it

TAG is not quite enough to completely counter it. It's a soft counter, it will stop the "no show" but it will not stop the "delayed lock" which sometimes, depending on server latency, can take up to 8 seconds. This will help your LRMs but won't do much good for your Streaks.

I personally think that is all ECM should do, delay the lock.

Clan BAP requires you to be within a certain range. I believe it's 180 meters. And you must be targeting the ECM unit (unlike IS bap, which automatically counters the nearest ECM unit).

Keep in mind multiple ECMs stacked will cause you all kinds of issues.

(TAG actually does work on a medium range target with ECM, regardless of how many are stacked.... But that's just it. TAG works. Nothing else. Two ECMs could require a lockon time of up to 16 seconds. Three ECMs up to 24 seconds, 4 ECMs up to 32 seconds... and 'stop' hitting the ECM just for a fraction of a second and poof...gone, gotta start all over again.)

To help deal with it, funny enough, you need Artemis.
So, all the things ECM is supposed counter in BT, are used to counter ECM in MWO.
Meanwhile... in BT it's about worthless against standard LRMs and streaks and SRMs... but in MWO, it's the go-to jesus box of easy-win.
(In a funny twist, BAP which is otherwise very unuseful in MWO... is the jesus box of BT. Clan BAP is insane.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users