#1 AdultPuppetShow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 165 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSpace Texas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

Now I'm not a new player but this seemed like the most pertinent place to ask these questions.

I've heard that command consoles can be used on any Inner Sphere heavy or assault mech. Is this true?

I've heard that command consoles can only be obtained with the purchase of an AS7-D-DC. Is this also true?

And finally I know that the benefits to tonnage ratio for running a command console are lackluster at best. Have we heard anything about another pass over them?

Thanks in advance.

#2 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostAdultPuppetShow, on 14 October 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

Now I'm not a new player but this seemed like the most pertinent place to ask these questions.

I've heard that command consoles can be used on any Inner Sphere heavy or assault mech. Is this true?

I've heard that command consoles can only be obtained with the purchase of an AS7-D-DC. Is this also true?

And finally I know that the benefits to tonnage ratio for running a command console are lackluster at best. Have we heard anything about another pass over them?

I bought one in the mechbay for an Orion test and was able to use it no problem, did not own any Atlas at the time

I havent heard anything about any changes. A lot of people want PGI to revisit all the information bits, which would include Target Locks (and Missile Locks), so maybe something will happen who knows.

#3 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

The command console is a 3 ton piece of equipment that fits specifically in the head of a heavy or assault mech, and not currently used by the clans. So the first statement is true.

It currently has a price tag of 1,000,000 C-bills. If you are loading a heavy or assault mech, it will be listed under equipment when you have the head selected. So the second statement is false. You don't need to strip an Atlas to get one. But it is expensive.

I haven't heard anything about changing the command console since the features were released. So we all seem to be out of luck there for a while.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

It's an order of magnitude more expensive than TCs and an order of magnitude less useful. Save your CB.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostAdultPuppetShow, on 14 October 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

1)I've heard that command consoles can be used on any Inner Sphere heavy or assault mech. Is this true?
2) I've heard that command consoles can only be obtained with the purchase of an AS7-D-DC. Is this also true?
3) And finally I know that the benefits to tonnage ratio for running a command console are lackluster at best. Have we heard anything about another pass over them?

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes. Though I've heard claims of mediums putting them to use. Click your cockpit in the loadout screen and it should be found under Equipment. According to Smurfy only heavies and above can equip it (of the mechs I tried it with).
2) This was true during the public test that had them. It is not true anymore.
3) No.

Command Console adds:
  • a 12% HUD zoom.
  • 6% increase in radar range.
  • 42% reduction in target info gathering time.
BAP adds:
  • 25% increase in radar range.
  • 25% reduction in target info gathering time.
  • Can detect mechs within 120 meters.
  • Counters ECM (In BT ECM counters BAP's God-like Omnipresence in non-LoS mech detection, and BAP is the jesus box instead of ECM, but that's Battletech).
<.<;

#6 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

Something I *wish* it did? Target information would only be shared (or only allow locks) if one mech in the company had a Command Console.

Sadly, that's not what it does. See Kon's post above.

#7 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

It's a massive 3 ton piece of crap. You're better off with Beagle and another 1.5 tons of your choice of ammo.

#8 Jacon Ceronia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 240 posts
  • LocationUTAH

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

Wait-- does it stack with the BAP? If so, I can see it as being really useful, actually. If not-- lame.

#9 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostJacon Ceronia, on 15 October 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Wait-- does it stack with the BAP? If so, I can see it as being really useful, actually. If not-- lame.

I think it stacks, but for three tons? Really useful? No.

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostJacon Ceronia, on 15 October 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

It does. I know some folks swear by them in LRM Boats for near-instant targeting. Me, I think for 3 tons, it's not worth it. It's also particularly problematic for mechs with head weapons, as they can't mount both.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

It's more useful for a sniper mech than anything.

It gets info a LOT quicker than a BAP does, even if it range isn't much. That zoom stacks with advanced zoom for something that really works well at long range.

I just wish it had a tangible use as a command console than a 'sniper console'.

Here's what I would have given it, assuming the game was designed more like tabletop with a dash of War Thunder.

1) Having the command console would allow you to give commands to the A.I. tanks, infantry, gun emplacements, low airborne forces, etc. that may be at your disposal. These AI forces could be 'part' of the map / mode or consumable elements distributed by allied players. (Example a Hunchback can carry a squad of 6 infantry men on its body [they ride by sitting on/holding onto it), it's right on the fluff.)

2) The Command Console isn't a 3 ton console, but an entire secondary cockpit with a command interface, sensor and communication suite (which having one severely reduced the D-DC's weaponry, which was 1 ballistic, 2 energy, and 2 missile). An advantage here is when under heavy fire. If something happens to the main pilot (injury, knocked out or killed), the Commander has a full array of mech controls that he could take over. So if the D-DC was headshot or a collision / knockdown rendered the pilot unconscious but the Commander was still alive/awake, he could take over the mech and keep it fighting when an ordinary Atlas would be incapacitated and helpless like this AS8-D.
Spoiler

That poor Atlas.

Now for obvious reasons, when 1 and 2 are linked, if there isn't a case where both the pilot and the commander are conscious and at the controls, the Command Console's benefits of influencing AI actions would clearly be lost. But this would require a very different design than this game received.

#12 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 October 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

It's more useful for a sniper mech than anything.

It gets info a LOT quicker than a BAP does, even if it range isn't much. That zoom stacks with advanced zoom for something that really works well at long range.

I just wish it had a tangible use as a command console than a 'sniper console'.

Here's what I would have given it, assuming the game was designed more like tabletop with a dash of War Thunder.

1) Having the command console would allow you to give commands to the A.I. tanks, infantry, gun emplacements, low airborne forces, etc. that may be at your disposal. These AI forces could be 'part' of the map / mode or consumable elements distributed by allied players. (Example a Hunchback can carry a squad of 6 infantry men on its body [they ride by sitting on/holding onto it), it's right on the fluff.)

2) The Command Console isn't a 3 ton console, but an entire secondary cockpit with a command interface, sensor and communication suite (which having one severely reduced the D-DC's weaponry, which was 1 ballistic, 2 energy, and 2 missile). An advantage here is when under heavy fire. If something happens to the main pilot (injury, knocked out or killed), the Commander has a full array of mech controls that he could take over. So if the D-DC was headshot or a collision / knockdown rendered the pilot unconscious but the Commander was still alive/awake, he could take over the mech and keep it fighting when an ordinary Atlas would be incapacitated and helpless like this AS8-D.
Spoiler

That poor Atlas.

Now for obvious reasons, when 1 and 2 are linked, if there isn't a case where both the pilot and the commander are conscious and at the controls, the Command Console's benefits of influencing AI actions would clearly be lost. But this would require a very different design than this game received.

Conquest mode tie in.

Fully capping a resource point gives you 4 hovertanks, 3 hovercraft, 2 mobile lrm launchers and 2 mobile srm launchers.

A command console lends someone the ability to order these units individually(Move here, follow, attack, hold position). If there is no command console units will attack the nearest enemy unit or cap point on radar.

#13 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

I think it would be good as an alternative mechanism for indirect torpedo locks, akin to TAG and NARC. Make it like a secondary network of high-resolution targeting data. If a scout has one equipped and puts target lock on something, everybody else who also has one equipped gets access to the target lock. So it is like a broadcast TAG or NARC that doesnt require a laser pointer or projectile, just uses the target lock, at a cost of 3 ton per user. Plus with the other benefits like faster lock-on times and extended range, would be pretty attractive for missile boats. Would probably be mostly used on organized teams, due to the cost-return requiring guaranteed results. [This all assumes that indirect fire is otherwise nerfed way down ofc]

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 15 October 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#14 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

I think it would be cool if the Command console gave you access to an areal photo from an overheard dropship. There is a key associated with it, whenever you press it. Your mech is locked in place for something like 20 seconds (establishing uplink) then at the end your screen is filled with a blow up of the game map showing the positions of all mechs in the match (not moving, its just a snapshot) it sees through ECM, cover, everything. It stays on your screen until you click it away somehow. But you still cant move your mech while its up.

Mostly useful for team play, but at least it would be a command console and not just another sensor tool.

#15 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

I ran the battlemaster 3S with the command console as a test from basics through mastery just to test it out.

You can target mechs out to 1250 m out with the Command Console, BAP and advanced sensors range.

The one major item I noticed was how teammates in PUG's reacted to the information that i was able to put on the minimap. So it is a benefit for detecting non-ECM mechs that are scouting visually since, who is going to detect me at 1200 m watching them.

After firing the LRMs off I was able to move in and get quicker detection times, that allowed me to target already damaged sections with my first shot at them. Five or six ML's are very dangerous to an unarmored torso, especially when they have an XL engine.

My thoughts are maybe on an XL equipped heavy that is guarding a flank or an that is an assault or maybe even a heavy LRM boat. I have to try this with an assault brawler, but I feel 3 more heat sinks or a larger engine may be better. Then a heavy with one Gauss or two ERLL's may benefit.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

1250 meters is a heck of an improvement from 800 meters (the usual sensor range).

#17 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

I have successfully used this combined with Advanced Sensor Range on my Victors.
While I do wish it had better stats, it does help to a degree, and is something that I will use on certain mechs.

-ST

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

The only scenario I could think of where a CC would make some sense is on Assault mechs with full armor, no free hardpoints and no room for other equipment. i.e. has already Beagle and still 3 tonns to burn.
I got one DDC build running that way cause it has no free room and still two tonns free. So I shaved one ton of armor and put CC in it. Has ECM, beagle, advanced sensors, and CC. You got the largest radarrange on the field, enemy ecm has to sit in your face to be of any effect and your target information is next to instantanious. So you know always where to shoot your AC20 or Gauss

Edited by The Basilisk, 16 October 2014 - 06:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users