• 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

View Postmariomanz28, on 15 October 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

It is not just you. I am well above the Recommended Specs for MWO:

Phenom II X4 980BE Quadcore 3.7Ghz
8GB DDR3 1600
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 Superclocked

I run all settings on low at 1920x1200 resolution, doesn't matter whether I'm on DX9 or DX11 and I average in the 30s with dips as low as the 10s. Before, after and during spectating I get 80-150 FPS. The different between all Low settings and Very High performance wise is very minor. The only thing it does is lower the maximum FPS I get in the beginning of the match and how far it dips. With Very High settings I might dip into the 20s more than Low but other than that it's just not any difference no matter what I do.

Examples are HPG Manifold At the spawns 100+ FPS, as more and more mechs gravitate towards the center of the map it drops from 100 to 40s and 50s, once combat starts I'm stuck in the 30s and if a lot of LRMs are flying I'm in the 20s, turn on heat vision I'm looking at 10s in the FPS range. Tourmaline is similar, at spawn points I'm in the 100s as the teams gravitate towards each other (doesn't matter where the main combat happens either) the FPS plummets.

This is the only game that struggles on my system. I can play many other games, including ones far more CPU or GPU intensive and much higher framerates. I even spent over a month talking with Support for MWO only for them in the end to tell me I would have to wait for game optimization, that it was the game and nothing I could do.

If my system can barely run the game on low settings, I'd really hate to see the performance on the recommended system or even worse the minimum system.

Completely in the same boat as you. Everything you said is exactly what I experience. There is nothing that I can change in game that will let me run at a consistent 60fps. I've even tried putting all graphics option to "low" and resolution at "1024X768" but no matter what I always dip into the low 20s. In Testing Grounds, Beginning of Match "Ready Screen", End of Round Screen and looking at the scoreboard, I get consistent 60fps. But just playing a live match quickly drops me to 20-30fps.

The odd thing is that in Testing Grounds, if you monitor your CPU/GPU usage, you'll notice that its much higher than when playing a live multiplayer match. For me TG has my usage around 70-80% for CPU/GPU. In a live game my usage is around 40-60%, sometimes even dropping to 30%. Why is that, if playing a live match is supposed to be more demanding overall?

#22 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

my favorite places to compare specs.... I recommend them

#23 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

http://youtu.be/IBH4g_ua5es

aww, livewyr not limewire

#24 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 15 October 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

Getting first desktop in 8 years next month..should run this game rather well.
i7-5820 (3.3)

GTX 970

Get the K version for overclocking (which you'll want to do eventually). Also, stay away from EVGA for the gtx 970s, cooler problems son. MSI and Gigabyte or leading the pack on these cards atm.

#25 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

That is most enlightening, Rizzel. (Thank you) Now I know.. lol

i7-5820 (3.3)
8G DDR4
GTX 970
240GB SSD/1TB SATA 7200

That had better run this game like a dream...or I am going to have a ****fit.
------------------
You have aided me much in my research. (I used to be very much into computers..but obviously now I am not.)

Hey bro, look at the price difference between 8 gig and 16 gig very litle diff, go the 16..
Also very few people bother to add the specs of their intended Power supply, do not skimp on your Power suply most important..

Edited by N0MAD, 15 October 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#26 Vezm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

That is most enlightening, Rizzel. (Thank you) Now I know.. lol

i7-5820 (3.3)
8G DDR4
GTX 970
240GB SSD/1TB SATA 7200

That had better run this game like a dream...or I am going to have a ****fit.
------------------
You have aided me much in my research. (I used to be very much into computers..but obviously now I am not.)

If you're only going to use this for gaming drop the lga2011-3 and get lga1150 with a z97 chipset and an i5 devils canyon. You'll save money and perform better too, especially if you overclock the DC and use the extra money on the beefier gtx980. Though I got a GTX970 windforce and it's great.

Those 2011-3 CPUs are beast for video editing and anything that utilises multiple threads heavily but won't give you bugger all benefit over an i5 for gaming. The only time a 2011-3 CPU is going to benefit you for gaming is if you want to run 4 GPUs as nVidia doesn't allow 4 way SLI on 1150 cpus as they have fewer PCI express lanes, even though running less lanes per gpu has little to no difference with pci-e 3.0. And 3 way sli is usually recommended for those wanting 4 way sli anyway because there's little gain to be had from that fourth card. The extra bandwidth of ddr4 would do you good for video editing but not so much for gaming considering how much more it will cost you.

If you want the cores and hyperthreading get an lga1150 i7 devils canyon.

[edit] This should do well. I left open the case for personal preference and left out some of the things that don't matter so much. HDD's are open for preference, I'd got for 480GB SSD and 2-3TB WD red though.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mccVLk

I didn't concentrate to much on saving $20 here or there it's just a rough idea.
Also the PSU is pretty overkill but hey, it wasn't tat much more than a 760W. A 500W would be enough really but running at 50% will keep your PSU fan nice and slow and keep it in a nice efficiency zone.

Edited by Vezm, 15 October 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#27 Vezm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostAccused, on 15 October 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Get the K version for overclocking (which you'll want to do eventually). Also, stay away from EVGA for the gtx 970s, cooler problems son. MSI and Gigabyte or leading the pack on these cards atm.

If you notice that's a 2011-3 cpu, afaik they only come as K's.

#28 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

I'm pretty well versed in notebook GPUs. The GT 540M was a decent mid-range GPU, four or 5 years ago.

8GB DDR3 1600

I run all settings on low at 1920x1200 resolution, doesn't matter whether I'm on DX9 or DX11 and I average in the 30s with dips as low as the 10s. Before, after and during spectating I get 80-150 FPS. The different between all Low settings and Very High performance wise is very minor. The only thing it does is lower the maximum FPS I get in the beginning of the match and how far it dips. With Very High settings I might dip into the 20s more than Low but other than that it's just not any difference no matter what I do.

Examples are HPG Manifold At the spawns 100+ FPS, as more and more mechs gravitate towards the center of the map it drops from 100 to 40s and 50s, once combat starts I'm stuck in the 30s and if a lot of LRMs are flying I'm in the 20s, turn on heat vision I'm looking at 10s in the FPS range. Tourmaline is similar, at spawn points I'm in the 100s as the teams gravitate towards each other (doesn't matter where the main combat happens either) the FPS plummets.

This is the only game that struggles on my system. I can play many other games, including ones far more CPU or GPU intensive and much higher framerates. I even spent over a month talking with Support for MWO only for them in the end to tell me I would have to wait for game optimization, that it was the game and nothing I could do.

If my system can barely run the game on low settings, I'd really hate to see the performance on the recommended system or even worse the minimum system.

Your CPU is the bottleneck. It's not a strong companion for the GTX 770.

Edited by Kevjack, 15 October 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#29 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

Ive got an old-ish processor and old-ish gpu and its not a slideshow even on max settings...

my specs:

amd(fx) 4100 quad core 4.0ghtz

8 GB ripjaws RAM

Windows 7 64

ST2000DM01-Y9N164 ADA Device (the Hard drive lol I dont remember the specs other than its 2 TB)

AMD RADEON HD 7700

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 15 October 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#30 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

I run a moderate rig which I built a few months back to replace my 8 year old clunker.

i5 3.2ghz
8gb ram
GTX660
Some Gigabyte MB (can't remember model no)

Nothing is OC'd, just needed a decent PC for sub $700 to move into the current decade. First tried running everything on max and I got noticeable slowdowns when there is smoke or on certain maps (Frozen City, River City). Switched down to med settings with DX11 and the game is silky smooth, rarely dipping under 30fps. All things considered though, MWO does not have the best optimization and I've seen other games with Cryengine run better.

#31 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostNation Uprise, on 15 October 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

Completely in the same boat as you. Everything you said is exactly what I experience. There is nothing that I can change in game that will let me run at a consistent 60fps. I've even tried putting all graphics option to "low" and resolution at "1024X768" but no matter what I always dip into the low 20s. In Testing Grounds, Beginning of Match "Ready Screen", End of Round Screen and looking at the scoreboard, I get consistent 60fps. But just playing a live match quickly drops me to 20-30fps.

The odd thing is that in Testing Grounds, if you monitor your CPU/GPU usage, you'll notice that its much higher than when playing a live multiplayer match. For me TG has my usage around 70-80% for CPU/GPU. In a live game my usage is around 40-60%, sometimes even dropping to 30%. Why is that, if playing a live match is supposed to be more demanding overall?

This and exactly this. When not actively playing the CPU and GPU usage are much higher then when in a live match and actually playing. I have monitored everything from temperatures to load in different aspects of the game, hell my video card doesn't even go to full run except in these situations you described which is pretty much any time except during actively controlling my mech in a live match. When the CPU and GPU load goes higher I'm hitting 100+ FPS on the low settings. It's almost like in a live match the game throttles the CPU and GPU down for some reason.

View PostKevjack, on 15 October 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

Your CPU is the bottleneck. It's not a strong companion for the GTX 770.

Look I know the CPU is old. However I'm sick of hearing about it being the bottleneck when that's not the cause of the abysmal performance of the game in certain setups. If you look at the Recommended Specs it says an Athlon II X4 650 which is roughly 1/3rd of the performance of my Phenom II X4 980. You can look that up on the benchmarks yourself.

Also when in a live match the game is using neither 100% of the GPU OR the CPU. How can the CPU be the bottleneck in this game when the game itself only uses the full CPU when in Testing Grounds or before and after a match? That doesn't even make sense. The game literally does not use all the resources when in a live match. I can run games FAR more CPU intensive games than MWO perfectly fine. MWO is THE only game I have performance issues with. Every other game I have played since putting this card in has played perfectly.

Even MWO Support said it was the game and that it needed optimizing.Regardless of the fact that I should NEVER dip below the 30 FPS mark on LOW settings being as far above the Recommended Specs for the game that I am.

Also my cousin who plays MWO some as well has the exact same card as I do but he has 16GB of 1866 DDR3 and an AMD FX-8350 and he gets no better framerate than I do and that's an 8 core 4Ghz current gen processor.

Edited by mariomanz28, 15 October 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#32 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Their recommendations are bunk. If the game needs a 3.3Ghz Intel quad i5-2500, then there's no way an AMD Phenom X4 is good enough.

#33 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

The problem here is that during a live multiplayer match both the CPU and GPU aren't being utilized to their maximum potential. In Testing Grounds and anywhere else where you aren't in control of the mech, the CPU/GPU usage goes way higher. Why? If multiplayer takes a lot more processing power (or is supposed to) than why way lower usage? Something is wrong during live games. There's no bottleneck going on. Bottleneck is when your CPU/GPU is being used 100% and still struggles to keep the game smooth. That's not happening here. In live matches my frame rates drop, get this, when my CPU/GPU are being used less. This makes no sense.

#34 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

I've had a X4 840 and a X4 955. The 955 struggles with MWO, the 840 is worse, and both those are better than the recommended AMD cpu. The GPU I was running was a 5830 as well and the best you could get on that with the 840 was 20-40fps in battle. On low res and settings.

For what it's worth both the X4 840 and 955 were bottlenecking the 5830. Upgrading to a 270x did nothing for fps. Not even 1 fps better.

Edited by Ghogiel, 15 October 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#35 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostRizzelbizzeg, on 15 October 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

Indeed, one would think, but I had a 560M in a laptop that I thought was going to be an upgrade over my desktop 460. After I bought and tried it out, it certainly wasn't :angry:

Bigger numbers don't really mean anything.

#36 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

8GB DDR3 1600

I am running the game on a 5 year old PC.
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2Ghz
14GB Ram 1333Mhz
Sapphire GeForce Radeon HD6850

Getting 60fps in mechlab and start of the match, but bouncing between 40 to 50+fps during match.
Dipping into 30+fps when there is alot going on screen.
My video setting is set to medium at 1920x1200 resolution, but shadows and particles are set to low. Also using DX9.

With your superior GPU, I don't understand why you are getting worst performance unless the 2 extra core in my CPU is making a difference. However I read on the forum somewhere that MWO doesn't fully utilise multicore CPU.

#37 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:44 AM

Windows 7 32, AMD Phenon II X4 965, Radeon HD 6870, 8 Gigs of RAM here, game runs like crap, so yeah ...

#38 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:25 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 15 October 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Hey bro, look at the price difference between 8 gig and 16 gig very litle diff, go the 16..
Also very few people bother to add the specs of their intended Power supply, do not skimp on your Power suply most important..

THIS. 1000x THIS.

Do NOT skimp on the PSU.

#39 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

right when PGI split from IGP(a month or 2 ago) they stated somewhere that the MWO recommended system requirements were 3 years old and obselete.

#40 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostGorantir, on 16 October 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

right when PGI split from IGP(a month or 2 ago) they stated somewhere that the MWO recommended system requirements were 3 years old and obselete.

It was mentioned by Russ in the NGNG townhall meeting right after the spilt from IGP, where he answered questions for three hours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users