Tier And Psr Reset?

95 replies to this topic

#1 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:29 PM

Greetings Mechwarriors.

How would all of you feel if there was a PSR/Teir wipe, in which everyone is given a clean slate and then given the opportunity to again climb their way through the rankings once again?

I've been giving some thoughts as to how to cleans the higher rankings of potatos and putting legacy (133t) potatos back where they belong with the rest of the spuds. That may sound incredibly elitist, but hear me out; I just want to make any given random pug unit assembled by the match maker in QP some better cohesion by allowing players of actual skill level to be actually placed among their peers.

I'm really tired of being dropped into matches where 2-5 of the players on my side are either suicidal lone wolves (looking at you cheeta players) or stationary missile/laser/gauss platforms. (if your going to use LRMS, at least do it right and stop giving the rest of us a bad rep. FFS!)... and dont get me started on griefers/tkers that work as teams on both sides.

I like being part of a well coordinated pack of hunters and/or traders, as I'm sure most of you do as well. I feel as if this is our best solution to fixing PSR without actually having to overhaul anything or create major game changes. Let the spuds be spuds, and let the rest of us actually play to win.

What do all of you think? Is it a feasible idea? Is it even a good idea?

#2 Bilbo999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

I'd be happy if the tiers were reset according to historical data, as it was done when the tiers were introduced. I suggest you find a unit though, because resetting tiers isn't going to make you happy until you get out of QP altogether.

Edited by Bilbo999, 15 December 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#3 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

View PostBilbo999, on 15 December 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

I'd be happy if the tiers were reset according to historical data, as it was done when the tiers were introduced. I suggest you find a unit though, because resetting tiers isn't going to make you happy until you get out of QP altogether.

I'm in bacon. o7.

I just lonewolf alot at weird hours of the night lol.
I'm not apposed to that idea either. I also would not mind of tiers rotated by year.

#4 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

I'd like a fresh start for on website stats and tiers.

I spent a long time doing sub 200 damage for various reasons. Like the fact I was getting 9 FPS on my old computer before a friend felt pity for me and gave me his old computer which can run MWO fine on lowest settings. That is just one example, there are many reasons my time with MWO was rough, I didn't know how to build a mech and made a lot of foolish builds that accomplished nothing for one.

People ask for a reset like every month. I think having regular resets would be a good idea and help separate the tiers a little better.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:23 AM

they should just get rid of personal stats completely for team gamemodes

personal stats alter the behavior of how people play in an entirely negative way

it encourages players to do crap like rush into enemies and facehug them just so they can block their teammates from getting the kill. where the correct way to play would be to not block your teammates so you can all fire at the enemy mech and kill it as quickly as possible.

the only stats that should matter are team stats and how the team performed as a whole. because its ultimately a team based game. and your tier ranking should go up or down based entirely on how much you contribute to your team winning. match score should be reworked as a metric for how much you helped your team.

if you want personal stats, thats what 1v1 solaris should be for.

Edited by Khobai, 16 December 2017 - 12:30 AM.

#6 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:25 AM

Well gentlemen, I'm glad I'm not the only one pondering this issue lol.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:29 AM

If I was PGI I'd just:
  • Rank all players active last season, from best to worst, based on their average match score.
  • Divide all the players into 14* tiers based on a Normal Curve.
  • The middle Tiers (6 & 7) have the most people in them. Tiers 5 & 8 have fewer, Tiers 4 & 9 even fewer, etc.
  • Each match, players up or down the Tiers based on their Match Score**.
  • If they do better than their current Tier's bracketed Match Score, they move up one rank and the person above them moves down one.
  • If they do worse, they drop down one rank and the person below them moves up one.
  • When someone's rank rises above, or falls below, their present Tier's boundary brackets, then their Tier changes accordingly.

Simple to understand, easy to implement, fair to all, gives a sense of progression to those who are genuinely progressing... and more importantly, provides a much better basis for better matchmaking.

* Why 14 Tiers? Because the more granular the Tiers, the more players will get a sense of their progress or otherwise. I'd graduate those Tiers from Green 1 to 3, Experienced 1 to 3, Veteran 1 to 3, Elite 1-3 to make this seem like, you know, an Actual BattleTech Game

** A more refined version of my approach would reformulate the Match Score to be less dependent on damage, more recognising of role/class warfare goals and so on. But no need to get into that here.

#8 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

View PostAppogee, on 16 December 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

If I was PGI I'd just:
  • Rank all players active last season, from best to worst, based on their average match score.
  • Divide all the players into 14* tiers based on a Normal Curve.
  • The middle Tiers (6 & 7) have the most people in them. Tiers 5 & 8 have fewer, Tiers 4 & 9 even fewer, etc.
  • Each match, players up or down the Tiers based on their Match Score**.
  • If they do better than their current Tier's bracketed Match Score, they move up one rank and the person above them moves down one.
  • If they do worse, they drop down one rank and the person below them moves up one.
  • When someone's rank rises above, or falls below, their present Tier's boundary brackets, then their Tier changes accordingly.
Simple to understand, easy to implement, fair to all, gives a sense of progression to those who are genuinely progressing... and more importantly, provides a much better basis for better matchmaking.

* Why 14 Tiers? Because the more granular the Tiers, the more players will get a sense of their progress or otherwise. I'd graduate those Tiers from Green 1 to 3, Experienced 1 to 3, Veteran 1 to 3, Elite 1-3 to make this seem like, you know, an Actual BattleTech Game

** A more refined version of my approach would reformulate the Match Score to be less dependent on damage, more recognising of role/class warfare goals and so on. But no need to get into that here.

I like the idea! but how would it work for match making buckets?

As it is PGI his pretty ham-fisted with the match maker. Not saying they are not trying tho.

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

View PostNovember11th, on 16 December 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

I like the idea! but how would it work for match making buckets?

As it is PGI his pretty ham-fisted with the match maker. Not saying they are not trying tho.

They could keep the same approach of tiers playing principally people of the same tier.

Just start with "your tier+1 either side" as being the first grouping attempted by the matchmaker, and let it expand its search by one tier either side of your tier, until it gets enough players.

The main problem with the matchmaker at the moment is that the 5 tiers its uses to form teams are garbage data to begin with. The tier algorithm is weighted so that even the worst players keep going up the tiers and eventually become an (over populated) tier 1.

My idea avoids that by splitting the playerbase across a normal curve, and keeping the population of each tier set. Only good players get to stay in the upper tiers.

#10 Bilbo999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:02 AM

View PostAppogee, on 16 December 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

They could keep the same approach of tiers playing principally people of the same tier.

Just start with "your tier+1 either side" as being the first grouping attempted by the matchmaker, and let it expand its search by one tier either side of your tier, until it gets enough players.

The main problem with the matchmaker at the moment is that the 5 tiers its uses to form teams are garbage data to begin with. The tier algorithm is weighted so that even the worst players keep going up the tiers and eventually become an (over populated) tier 1.

My idea avoids that by splitting the playerbase across a normal curve, and keeping the population of each tier set. Only good players get to stay in the upper tiers.

They had it. Everyone said ELO sucked. Now we have this, which arguably sucks more. All they really needed to do was get rid of weight class ELO. Straight up ELO, across all weight classes and wait times wouldn't have forced a change.

#11 XDevilsChariotX

• PipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

I'd be all for it, long as they made it harder to get to tier 1. I would also like to see them do some sort of prestige system. Hit Tier 1, reset back to 5 and you gain something like 5% more cbills/gxp everytime you prestige.

Edited by XDevilsChariotX, 16 December 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#12 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:46 AM

wut? reset? Hell no...my wait times will explode. not cool! Any no more assaults to complain about....at least for a month or so.

Or we just rename it to "Pilot combat experience level"? Would we then stop threads like this?

Edited by Exard3k, 16 December 2017 - 01:48 AM.

#13 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:47 AM

View PostAppogee, on 16 December 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

Okay, You've won me over.

Now we have to get uncle russ onboard! xD

#14 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,997 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostNovember11th, on 15 December 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

Greetings Mechwarriors.

How would all of you feel if there was a PSR/Teir wipe, in which everyone is given a clean slate and then given the opportunity to again climb their way through the rankings once again?

I've been giving some thoughts as to how to cleans the higher rankings of potatos and putting legacy (133t) potatos back where they belong with the rest of the spuds. That may sound incredibly elitist, but hear me out; I just want to make any given random pug unit assembled by the match maker in QP some better cohesion by allowing players of actual skill level to be actually placed among their peers.

I'm really tired of being dropped into matches where 2-5 of the players on my side are either suicidal lone wolves (looking at you cheeta players) or stationary missile/laser/gauss platforms. (if your going to use LRMS, at least do it right and stop giving the rest of us a bad rep. FFS!)... and dont get me started on griefers/tkers that work as teams on both sides.

I like being part of a well coordinated pack of hunters and/or traders, as I'm sure most of you do as well. I feel as if this is our best solution to fixing PSR without actually having to overhaul anything or create major game changes. Let the spuds be spuds, and let the rest of us actually play to win.

What do all of you think? Is it a feasible idea? Is it even a good idea?

what do I think? --well

I am just comfortably numb

#15 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:02 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 16 December 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

what do I think? --well

I am just comfortably numb

RELAX.... I NEED SOME INFORMATION FIRST....

#16 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:10 AM

So why isn't anyone pushing this reset more?

#17 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:19 AM

I get the attraction. Despite being T1 don't honestly think I'm really in the top quantile (assuming perfect equal spread tiering here). More like T2 in fundamental ability. So whatever would take me down a bit I'd welcome.

However I think in this thread, and many before it, there's this unrealistic expectation of games in only occupied by "good" players, which is plain impossible with the player base.

If you were to create this mystical T1 with only exceptional players, you'd have 1-2 of these guys in queue when you hit "play". Then the MM would be opened up, and a bit later opened even more. And whoopsy, we're back where we started. Say hello to our T4 friends.

The best suggestion I have - if playing with "bads" troubles you, get out of QP queue.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:44 AM

Soft tier reset every 4 months, is what I would suggest. Lower everyone's tier by two.

View Postjss78, on 16 December 2017 - 04:19 AM, said:

The best suggestion I have - if playing with "bads" troubles you, get out of QP queue.

Except you get bads in FP as well. :P

Edited by El Bandito, 16 December 2017 - 04:45 AM.

#19 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:09 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 December 2017 - 04:44 AM, said:

Soft tier reset every 4 months, is what I would suggest. Lower everyone's tier by two.
Tier 1 matches were awesome for the first few weeks, and even a month afterwards. This would have all the benefits of a hard reset without completely rocking the boat.

But.... I still say the best solution is 3 tiers where you only face your own tier, split evenly among the population, and you have to kick someone out from above you to move up. Base it entirely off of Quick Play W:L.

Either that or just make things completely random.

#20 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:10 AM

View Postjss78, on 16 December 2017 - 04:19 AM, said:

If you were to create this mystical T1 with only exceptional players, you'd have 1-2 of these guys in queue when you hit "play".

The problem is there are a lot of vets stuck in T1 who shouldn't be there.

As long as you get rid of these 30th percentile "T1s" from the T1 queue and move them to T5 (the ones who persistently have <1 WLR even after 10000 games), the overall match experience should improve for everyone as the MM will move the ones who deserve to be in T1 upwards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users