Stephen Hawking ended the god debate?

39 replies to this topic

#1 Nautilus

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Stephen Hawking has declared that his latest work shows there was no creator of the universe. But we shouldn't imagine that will settle the God vs science debate. But we do have religious organization's and cults trying to prove that their god created the entire universe to serve one purpose, greed, money and power. I would like to recommend a book "Stephen Hawking Grand Design".

#2 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostNautilus, on 24 June 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Stephen Hawking has declared that his latest work shows there was no creator of the universe. But we shouldn't imagine that will settle the God vs science debate. But we do have religious organization's and cults trying to prove that their god created the entire universe to serve one purpose, greed, money and power. I would like to recommend a book "Stephen Hawking Grand Design".

Great reading, I would recommend this book too. To anyone who has an open mind, and willings to accept when they are wrong =)

#3 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Isint this against the rules?

I have an argument against this, but i don't want to start a s-tupid flame war(no one wins, seeing as you most likely change anyone's belief )

#4 TripleHex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Ok, you've got ME sold... I'm an aethist anyways! :)

#5 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostIshtar, on 24 June 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Great reading, I would recommend this book too. To anyone who has an open mind, and willings to accept when they are wrong =)

So your saying you have an open mind, but we are wrong? kindof counterproductive dont you think?

#6 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostMason West, on 24 June 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Isint this against the rules?

I have an argument against this, but i don't want to start a s-tupid flame war(no one wins, seeing as you most likely change anyone's belief )

You kidding me right? this book has nothing in it where it disregards anyone beliefs.

#7 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

Mason, this is one of those arguments that NOBODY wins, and EVERYONE loses. It's best to take this one in stride, and joke with it... for example, I'm not really an atheist, but can and will joke about being one for the sake of brevity in situations like this.

#8 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostMason West, on 24 June 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

So your saying you have an open mind, but we are wrong? kindof counterproductive dont you think?

Im sorry, did I start this reply with a insult, I am assuming you know or pretend to know the forum rules, about trollin? So I guess you I have all grounds to submit a report.

#9 Moodysea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWindsor UK

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

I thought the clans used biotech to create life. So maybe one of the is actually God?

Trying to keep on topic... you know.

#10 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostIshtar, on 24 June 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Im sorry, did I start this reply with a insult, I am assuming you know or pretend to know the forum rules, about trollin? So I guess you I have all grounds to submit a report.

Ishtar, please calm down about the reporting thing. Mason holds his beliefs very dear to him, as do many people. This doesn't make them trolls or anything, nor does it make them wrong/right. I think it's probably best to remember that the OP stated this as a QUESTION, not a statement of fact.

#11 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostMoodysea, on 24 June 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

I thought the clans used biotech to create life. So maybe one of the is actually God?

Trying to keep on topic... you know.

I think one of the reasons why the clans separated from the Innersphere is because of the persecution of their beliefs of choosing not to believe that was forced upon everyone else.

#12 Fl3tcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Oh no. . not a God thread. . Believe, don't believe, it's all a matter of personal choice.

#13 Nautilus

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostTripleHex, on 24 June 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Ishtar, please calm down about the reporting thing. Mason holds his beliefs very dear to him, as do many people. This doesn't make them trolls or anything, nor does it make them wrong/right. I think it's probably best to remember that the OP stated this as a QUESTION, not a statement of fact.

lol.. wow your like a oxymoron all in one? after telling Ishtar to calm down, and then you go off on her with your childish names. I think she has all rights to submit a report on you. Maybe you should of clam down before making your little remark.

#14 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostFl3tcher, on 24 June 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Oh no. . not a God thread. . Believe, don't believe, it's all a matter of personal choice.

Cant be as bad as the WOT is not like MWO debate? which is never ending? and thank you Nautilus for the back up.

#15 Cole Christensen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 126 posts
  • LocationOsan AB

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Isn't it asinine to disprove something that, in fact, has never been proven? That's like having a great body of evidence against the existence of the Tooth Fairy. There is zero proof that it exists anyway, so why take the effort to disprove it?

#16 Schlifer

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

No matter what you want to call it, there exist an higher force of power, i call it God, but an intelligent design exist i do not believe this is an random thing that one can think and be self aware while also not following the principals of the animal like thinking, suffice to say no matter how far you go back in time to prove how things are done you will come to the crossroads and the question will then be asked, What happened then?

I believe but i am not hardcore, my belief makes me into an better person.

#17 nighthawk441

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostCole Christensen, on 24 June 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Isn't it asinine to disprove something that, in fact, has never been proven? That's like having a great body of evidence against the existence of the Tooth Fairy. There is zero proof that it exists anyway, so why take the effort to disprove it?

Because god to some is the answer to various unanswered questions regarding the origins of the universe. The tooth fairy is not.

#18 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postnighthawk441, on 24 June 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

The tooth fairy is not.

You just insulted by deep seated beliefs about why the Tooth Fairy exists and how she is the reason we're able to live our daily lives.

Time to rage.

#19 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGermany, Niedersachsen, Göttingen

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

"If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out."

#20 Leggin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, Ca

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

I am an Ordained Bishop in the Church of God (Cleveland Tenn.) and full time Pastor for 38 years (now retired).

As much as I love God and the Lord Jesus Christ I don't believe evangelism of any kind has any place on these forums. Yes that includes Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Atheism or anything else!

Don't ask Don't Tell

Leggin

Edited by Leggin, 24 June 2012 - 09:36 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users