Fix The Firestarter Hitboxes Please!

20 replies to this topic

#1 Rashkae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:08 AM

In the last few days, I've seen a far higher incidence of invulnerable Firestarters than normal. Take this as an example:
A Firestarter is running away from me (in a Direwolf) in a straight line. No zigging, no zagging, so HSR is not a factor. I alpha right into his rear CT. His damage? The outer armor turned yellow. I alpha again. His damage? The armor went orange.
My alpha is 92.5 - you can't tell me that a Firestarter has over 300 points of rear CT armor.
This continues in every match - even my lancemates fire massive volleys of LRMs, MPLAS, SRMs into a Firestarter, the reticle turns red, the Firestarter barely takes any damage at all.
FIX THIS CR@P. It's been WAY TOO LONG to still have these pre-alpha issues!!!!!

#2 bane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

The issue seems to be with quite a few mechs, the spider being another notorious one. You unload enough damage to remove all external and internal armor from the mech and not only is he still running, he kills your pristine mech since you can't seem to actually get damage to register, even though you're seeing hit detection on your targetting crosshairs, but the damage is not being reflected on the mech in question.

#3 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yes the HSR on the firestarter specifically is really messed up...!
They maybe have effectively 4 to 5 times their normal armor.

#4 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

I took apart a Dire Wolf this weekend in my Hero Spider :D Pretty sure it was a brand new player in the Trial Whale... horrible piloting, singled him/her out on HPG and went to town... the power of IS 2ML and 2MG is clearly OP lol :P But I have to admit... I shrugged off a nasty dakka blast from another Dire Wolf in another match later that should have killed me... damn near did, but it didn't.

#5 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

HSR seems to be having issues in general not just any one particular chassis. I know from experience that firestarters are as fragile as ever (and spiders are no where near as bad as they were a year ago).

At the same time I've also seen a 30+ alpha to an already crimson red CT of a DireWolf register ZERO damage (and BOY it would be hard to miss something with that much CT). At a guess I'd say it seems likely that HSR is just messed up in general lately. Heck maybe the current load on the servers has something to do with it (http://www.reddit.co...rs_needed_russ/)

View PostNavid A1, on 13 October 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Yes the HSR on the firestarter specifically is really messed up...!
They maybe have effectively 4 to 5 times their normal armour.

LMAO if that were true we'd be seeing a LOT more firestarters running around than DireWolves ;)
Anything OP/Broken is glomped onto in about half the time it takes to blink an eye.

#6 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

as a FS user I will also say. I couldn't even leg an overheated FS today with like a 25 point alpha. It shutdown 3 times in front of me and I let loose on the same leg all 3 times and it didn't pop......

I also see massive SRM volleys go practically to waste on spiders and firestarters. Talking like 32+ damage hitting them square in the face and nothing really happens.

#7 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:48 AM

The one truly reliable weapon is the Gauss Rifle. Take two of them and kill light mechs with ease.

#8 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostRashkae, on 13 October 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

In the last few days, I've seen a far higher incidence of invulnerable Firestarters than normal.

My alpha is 92.5

FIX THIS CR@P.

maybe it would easier to have direwolves have a 200 alpha?

I run a firestarter, I WISH I could believe I was invulnerable.
p.s. legs aim for the legs in any circumstance on any, and all lights. LEGS.

quick followup, LEGS

#9 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostR5D4, on 13 October 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

LMAO if that were true we'd be seeing a LOT more firestarters running around than DireWolves ;)
Anything OP/Broken is glomped onto in about half the time it takes to blink an eye.

Ain't that the truth? I see about 4-5 a night. More kitfoxes with massive LRM, laserboat arrays.
If firestarters would truly defeat diretards repeated alpha strikes, all you'd see out there would be firestarters...
as it is....all you see are direwhales, kitfoxes, and now scarecrows
anything that Monday you see rant posts about "THIS is overpowered"
Wednesday you see swarms of "THIS" out there. Friday you see "THIS" sucks, I need a working build....

OP, you got off two and shutdown? THAT is a bigger hurt to a team than a light that wont die

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

Often it's a covergence issue. The Dire Wolf is a wide mech, and often the arm weapons will miss lighter mechs if they're very close or not aimed directly at them.

That said, sometimes I have problems with hits registering on Dire Wolves. Sometimes I have no issues hitting spiders and firestarters. It kinda ebbs and flows.

#11 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:26 AM

There also seem to be an issue with the rear CT of Timberwolf.

#12 AJ Frost

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Actually I can't second that rear timber wolf issue. It dies quitee nicely to a total of 2 ac/20s and 4 Med pulse lasers. Repeatedly when ever I manage to sneek up in a wang. So .. no issues on my part. ping 130ish.

Edited by AJ Frost, 14 October 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#13 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

yeah hit reg....it needs some attention

#14 DaFitz

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

Its not just the firestarters. First off. I run all lights mostly a locust so this is basicly telling on myself. Sometimes, not all the time, I will get a crappy connection to the server. My ping will only be 60ish but the screen will be jerky and frame rate will be just bad. Flying around at 160+ kph in a firefight is intense when you have to process where things were a few seconds ago to make the turn you know is there.
But onto the issue. Whenever this happens I have a lag shield of nigh invulnerability. In the last match I played I was already flashing critical damage and had little to no armor in all locations. I knew there was a direwhale on the other side of the buildings and I was trying to fake him on where I would come out next. So I ran past an alley and wanted to stop to unleash a good broadside only to see the dire stareing right at me. i had already pulled back on the stick to stop in time to fire, I slammed it forward again in a vain attempt to get out of his field of fire. No dice he pulled the trigger and I saw 5 lbx-5 open up while I was basicly stationary BOOM. Next thing I know Im past the alley way and suffered no damage whatsoever. I should have been dead 4 times over. I saw his rounds practicly smash into my cockpit but nothing registered at all. This isnt the only time this has happened. Whenever I get the "lag shield" I know IM in for a half dozen good matches because it is there until I log off the server completely.
So I do belive, no I know there is an issue with conenctions to the servers and not being able to hit lights. I dont know if this is even testable from PGI home location, I connect from south florida so I do have a ways to go to get connection but never get a ping over 70 might be an issue related to that but Im not going to pretend I know how this internet magic box connects at all.

TL;DR Lights need every advantage they can get but there is a lag issue and hit detection.

Edited by DaFitz, 14 October 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#15 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 13 October 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

I took apart a Dire Wolf this weekend in my Hero Spider :D Pretty sure it was a brand new player in the Trial Whale... horrible piloting, singled him/her out on HPG and went to town... the power of IS 2ML and 2MG is clearly OP lol :P But I have to admit... I shrugged off a nasty dakka blast from another Dire Wolf in another match later that should have killed me... damn near did, but it didn't.

And yet, Ravens and all mechs larger get instagimped by AC40 CTFs or Double Gauss anything. Spiders, Commandos and Firestarters dance away when they shouldn't be. What blows my mind is that I've been hit in the side torsos with full armor on my Orion and survived, reduced to dark red from a single volley. That tells me anything with less than 50 pts of armor should be insta dead, especially with an XL. That means there is no excuse why all these humanoid lights should be dancing and laughing.

#16 Vehemens

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Waaa. I run the only mech in the game that can break every weapon balance issue due to sheer quantity of hardpoints and I keep missing the little ones with my OP builds. The problem is clearly the weakest weight class in the game and not my piloting.

FS hit boxes are fine. Spiders are not.

Weapon hit detection in general is an ongoing issue (ie. Fire Gauss into TBR front CT, watch back right armor go away when his back is to a wall with 28 ping or 3 SRM6 Artemis into left rear torso and leg and see front CT take the damage)

If you fail to kill a Firestarter with an alpha strike, your alpha did not make full contact. Your crosshairs turn red if even one of your projectiles or lasers strikes the target. So just because some part hit does not mean everything hit. This is especially true for LRMs, C-UACs, and SRMs. If the bloom from your UAC volley clouds your sight but your crosshairs are still red, you're definitely not hitting the same part of the mech, for instance.

Improve personal accuracy and fire discipline first. Complain on forums later.

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostVehemens, on 15 October 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

Improve personal accuracy and fire discipline first. Complain on forums later.

accuracy? like when my lasers decided to go through the raven instead of at the raven?
when only half the volley counted as damage?

Posted Image

there is some real broken stuff going on with some light chassis especially in combination with lasers.

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 October 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#18 Vehemens

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Look at all that lack of information.

Your gif of a fraction of one second shows that you did maybe 5 damage with no info on the condition before the shot. Since you know, lasers are dot based on burn time.

You might have been correct. You might not have been correct.

This gif shows 5 damage max against a front CT of potentially up to 64 armor. Which no matter how you slice it, does not equal a kill on any section.

I routinely one shot Ravens whenever I manage to get full burn with most laser boats.

Get a gif of the full shot and not just initial contact. Even so, that front CT + internals of a Raven 3L could take your full 6 medium volley on full burn depending on how much health it already head there. Which you also cannot prove to us because you have no target info in your upper right hand corner of the screen.

Hooray for bad examples that prove nothing.

Addendum: The fact that you aren't shooting the leg proves personal accuracy and fire discipline are the issue. Seriously. One leg = 48 max hp, your 6 meds = 42 damage on full burn. Why you shoot CT which has 20 more hp?

Edited by Vehemens, 15 October 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#19 whitelightshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

I am sure the issue with this is not hitbox but weapons. I have found that lasers go through targets, ppcs simply vanishing, missiles that go straight into the ground or fall next to a target that is not moving yet locked and in clear line of sight, even worse is AC that I have to aim a screen width ahead to hit a target at close range (less than 120 meters). At least with missiles and lasers you can score some hits and that is why I and most of my friends started running laser/missile boats. For me anything else is a waste at the moment. This all started shortly after they migrated the servers a while back. Pings went up and high ping spike started occuring. Delays between pressing the mouse button to fire and the firing event were sometimes delayed by a second or two. Trying to select a target has become a nightmare with a delay of seconds from pressing R until it selects the target, and even longer to get missile lock. Mechs can not even get close to each other or you get rubberbanding or shot high into the air for a part of a second. It is like the positions of the mechs are registered wrong somewhere in the servers.

And that picture of the laser going through targets, that is nothing I got a great collection of recent glitches like it.

Edited by whitelightshadow, 17 October 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#20 JuggernautXTR

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

the hit boxes are way off 80 meters away from a jager(me in a shadowhawk), zoomed in,dead on face plate and missing with an ac5, 2 x srm4, 3 medium lasers. i had to go off left side of target to get any hits to register and damage was showing up on right side of mech.

at 80 meters, all my weapons should be pretty close to dead on.targeting box is way off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users