Ac10 Vs Gauss On Med. Mechs

46 replies to this topic

#41 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

Gauss is a better choice when you can take it. The biggest advantage is its fast projectile, what you see is what you hit. AC10 on the other hand, has a significant bullet drop and is slow, forcing you to spread damage. AC10 also has a weird ROF, it's not slow enough to twist effectively between shots, yet it's also not fast enough to warrant staring at your opponent. I usually end up doing a halfway twist which isn't really effective.

That being said, only a few mediums can comfortably mount Gauss and you're pretty much limited to the Shadowhawk and Stormcrow for that. Also, don't mount it on the HBK.

Edited by Tahribator, 29 October 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#42 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

In hindsight I should have mentioned this in my first reply in this thread, but in a medium mech the three tons saved by an AC10 over a Gauss make for different builds in the rest of a mech's build so they aren't really directly comparable. Three tons is the difference between a 200XL and 235XL engine, a difference of a 79.2kph top speed versus 93.1kph in my Blackjack. Three tons is three medium lasers, which can make the difference in a fight.

For me it's the AC20 and Gauss which are interchangeable in builds; an AC20 and four tons of ammo (28 shots) is 18 tons, the same tonnage as a Gauss Rifle and three tons of ammo (30 shots). They're two very different weapons and the simple swapping out one for the other changes a mech's role and play style dramatically.

#43 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

My HBK-4P with dual ERPPC in the hunch was my best performer -- link. Set them to chain fire and you can double-tap for 20 point at any range and keep temperature down.

#44 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostRuccus, on 29 October 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

In hindsight I should have mentioned this in my first reply in this thread, but in a medium mech the three tons saved by an AC10 over a Gauss make for different builds in the rest of a mech's build so they aren't really directly comparable. Three tons is the difference between a 200XL and 235XL engine, a difference of a 79.2kph top speed versus 93.1kph in my Blackjack. Three tons is three medium lasers, which can make the difference in a fight.

For me it's the AC20 and Gauss which are interchangeable in builds; an AC20 and four tons of ammo (28 shots) is 18 tons, the same tonnage as a Gauss Rifle and three tons of ammo (30 shots). They're two very different weapons and the simple swapping out one for the other changes a mech's role and play style dramatically.

This is similar to what I was going to post only I'd say that you need 19 tons for the Gauss (I find 3 tons too little ammo) vs 15 tons (3t ammo), which is 4 tons difference. If you can arm mount the gauss you can take an XL...sorta. XL+torso mounted Gauss = death. Well, I suppose with the quirks, if like the Hunchback or the Shadow Hawks have additional structure they might be able to survive a Gauss explosion.

Meh, too messy. For me I just go with an AC/10. My SHD-2H & -2D both mount an AC/10, ER LL & an SRM4. The 2H gets an extra SRM4, the 2D gets a pair of MLs and a ton of armour. Running around with the 2D tonight I had 3-4 matches in a row with a match score north of 100 and 700 damage dealt. It's possible to do that much damage with a Gauss Rifle and a pair of MLs, but it's certainly not easy. Leave the Gauss to the big mechs and grab an AC/10.

#45 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

There is also the exploding the Gauss gun does when hit and at 90% chance to explode it is very dangerous. Its the equivalent of 1 ton of AC20 ammo exploding (20 damage according to smurfy the most an internal explosion can do in the game) BUT its 6/7 slots big. Which basically means enemy gets internal say good bye to the location gun is in.

Take into consideration Internal armor of mediums on Side Torso ranges from 20 to 26 depending on tonnage that Gauss explosion is pretty much a guaranteed removal of that portion of armor and pretty fast once internal. Even more for sure when its in an arm which ranges from 12 to 18 armor internally on mediums.

Worst part is even after running out of ammo the gun still risks explosion so its a walking time bomb really. I rarely use one myself for simple fact that it goes up all to often ripping me up even worse after run out of ammo. It goes up a touch to easy I think.

The range of it helps negate this by ideally bringing you under fire less so less chance it gets hit. Also Gauss ammo wont explode so its not a bad way to fill slots and reduce risk of other things getting nailed.

Personally since ammo explosions are significantly lower then what they could do (Battle tech ammo hit multiply the ammo remaining in the slot by its full damage then apply to mech it was BRUTAL). I think Gauss doing 20 is a bit over kill especially as it can still go up when out of ammo.

But again its the risk vs reward double edge sword. While nice option for bigger gun for Medium think after all said and done AC10 (Faster cooldown being a big boost to me) wins in my book.

#46 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

Well the AC10 is definitely now the gun of choice for the HBK-4H. Dat 20% cooldown bonus. Gonna pick up the AC10 cooldown module. With that and Fast Fire, that's a 37% maximum cooldown reduction.

#47 Azure Kit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

I don't think much comes close to the satisfying boom of an AC/10, but the Gauss in the right hands and on the right medium can be a potent weapon, which is why I keep one on my shadowhawk. Nice high mounting for the Gauss Rifle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users