Shadowhawk Talk

BattleMechs

19 replies to this topic

#1 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

So after you buy the one for the free XL engine.... which ones do you guys like to complete the set?

How do you like to run them?

Did Russ ever give us the full quirk list? It might be pretty dang useful when deciding which ones I want to buy.

#2 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

What makes the variants you enjoy good? Hardpoint locations? I assume the K has some high torso energy mounts and thats why you guys like it for sniping (more so than the low mounted arm lasers).

I'm definitely going to buy 3 and I already have the engine mech... I mean the 5M.

Editing this post since I now have some replies :)

Edited by Glythe, 22 October 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#3 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

I really like the 2D2 as a generalist type mech running a couple MLas, an AC10 and some streaks. Its not a zippy mech and not even particularly agile for a medium but its got a lot going for it.

The 2H is a little tricky to build but it can be a fun mech too. I used to run it with SRM16, 3 MGs and an ERPPC. It had a bigger engine (325Xl IIRC) so it was fun to swoop around the battlefield. This was my best mech for a good while but I haven't piloted it in a bit.

The 2D interests me as well but I don't have the c-bills for it right now.

#4 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

If you bought the 5M already than if say you want

1st priority: 2k
2nd priority: 2D2 (4 missile slots, 2 energy) or 2D (3 missile slots, 3 energy)

#5 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

Also, no news on the quirks yet but they're all pretty high tiered so they won't be getting much.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

I haven't been following this too much, so I don't know what Shadowhawk you got. I can tell you two Shadow Hawks that are running builds I like. I'm at work and away from my computer, so I can't give you specific details, but you could use them as ideas.

Shadow Hawk 2H:

I was running as a fire support mech (combo of UA/C5 and A/C2s or Tripple A/C2s). They are descent builds, but after the RoF decrease of the A/C2, they lost a bit of luster.

What I do like is this new build...

1 Gauss, 3 SRM4s, 2 MGs. It does have limited JJs and I THINK an XL275 (Maybe XL260). It runs in the high 80s kph.

The build is nice because I can snipe with the Gauss at range, and fire a combined Gauss and SRM group up close. MGs are a bit more of a crit and harrasser type of weapon.

It takes some Gauss practice, but pegging enemies at distance can be fun, and firing a Gauss slug with 3 SRM4s together can really hurt.

If you want, you could swap out the MGs and 1 ton ammo for more Gauss or SRM ammo. Also, don't forget to strip all the armor out of the arms.

Death by Gauss explosion is a downside, and it takes practice with the gauss charge mechanic, but it has done me really well. I like it.

Shadow Hawk 2D2:

I run an odd build with this mech (I guess my previous build could be seen as odd too).

2 LLasers, 4 SSRM2s, 1 A/C2. The mech does have BAP, and I can't unfortunately remember the engine size. Nice mech if not a little hot (reason I don't run ERLLasers). Also, I don't carry JJs in this config.

2 LLasers gives some nice range, the A/C2 keeps the enemies head down. The SSRM2s are also good for chasing off lights.

The odd part is the single A/C2. I like it because it keeps some suppression fire (even if small), but it also helps get you the kill from a wounded enemy. You might do some good damage, but while you wait for the LLasers to cycle, you can keep hitting him with that A/C2 to try and gank the kill.

Only real down side is it can get hot. Still, it is a FUN config to play IMO.

I hope that give you some ideas.

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

2K: The crowned king of all [ER]LL troll snipers. Can also do mixed builds of [ER]LL/ML/SRMs/LRMs if you prefer that. Extremely good and recommended variant.

2D2: The missile boat of the family. It tends to work best with SRMs, but SSRMs and Lurms can work too. It tends to be a versatile variant and a solid choice.

2D: Sort of like a 2D2, but exchanges 1 missile for 1 energy. It's an alright choice because it's a Shadow Hawk, but doesn't seem particularly amazing. It's a decent variant.

2H: The little fat kid of the Shadow Hawk family. It has 3 ballistic hardpoints that can only be used up either using 3 AC/2 (which is usually a bad build) or using Machine Guns (which are nearly pointless unless you have at least 4). Having only 1 energy hardpoint is the biggest drawback of this variant, because carrying only 1 ML or 1 LL is pretty silly. It's not the worst medium available by a long shot, but it's easily beaten by the other Shads.

#8 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

I would pick up the 2D2, and the 2K. After that its a bit of a toss up. 2H probably has the most uniqueness to it of the ones left but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 October 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

2H: The little fat kid of the Shadow Hawk family. It has 3 ballistic hardpoints that can only be used up either using 3 AC/2 (which is usually a bad build) or using Machine Guns (which are nearly pointless unless you have at least 4). Having only 1 energy hardpoint is the biggest drawback of this variant, because carrying only 1 ML or 1 LL is pretty silly. It's not the worst medium available by a long shot, but it's easily beaten by the other Shads.

I agree for the most part. Probably only reason I run it is for the 30% C-Bill Boost. I do find my build above is nice, but it could be done on the 2D2 pretty much (minus the MGs) I could actually squeeze in an additional SRM and that is worth losing the MGs. Again though, I would be running a mech without the C-Bill boost.

Plus, the 1 energy in the arm is just...odd. I normally leave it open and strip the arm armor anyway.

At least the OP doesn't have to worry about the building a Shad build around the SH.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 22 October 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#10 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

2D: Sort of like a 2D2, but exchanges 1 missile for 1 energy. It's an alright choice because it's a Shadow Hawk, but doesn't seem particularly amazing. It's a decent variant.

I like the 2D for an AC20 build, because I can take a 3rd MLAS and don't have enough raw tonnage for SRMs anyway.

#11 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

2K: The crowned king of all [ER]LL troll snipers. Can also do mixed builds of [ER]LL/ML/SRMs/LRMs if you prefer that. Extremely good and recommended variant.

2D2: The missile boat of the family. It tends to work best with SRMs, but SSRMs and Lurms can work too. It tends to be a versatile variant and a solid choice.

2K and 2D2 do SRM bukkakes nicely, with 18-22 tubes, and can also run at 110 with a decent loadout, if you wish.

2D seems to make a better AC20 build than the others, with 2MLs and a AC20 on the same side, and a optional 3rd ML, which can all be mounted with max armour and a reasonable engine.

#12 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

I appreciate the input guys. I just now noticed that only 2 of these guys have 5x jump jets. Is that why you like the K? Since I have one of those variants I will probably be going more towards 2 variants with bigger firepower options.

I decided on the 2D2 as my 2nd pick and I'm going to run him something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2ae8e9eacb809a0

I think it should get some good quirk benefits that way and I do like having a light killer medium.

Edited by Glythe, 22 October 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#13 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostGlythe, on 22 October 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

I appreciate the input guys. I just now noticed that only 2 of these guys have 5x jump jets. Is that why you like the K? Since I have one of those variants I will probably be going more towards 2 variants with bigger firepower options.

We like the 2K because it is unique.

It has 3 Energy hardpoints in the Left Torso - so it's perfect sniper placement.

Energy weapons are much lighter than ballistics, so you can run 3x ER LLAS and a good sized engine with plenty of cooling.

Alternative you can run SRMs + LLAS+MLAS, but I personally prefer it as a sniper.

#14 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

I decided on the 2D2 as my 2nd pick and I'm going to run him something like this:

I think it should get some good quirk benefits that way and I do like having a light killer medium.

I like the 2K because of the high mounted energy and ER LL are pretty strong. It can also take some SRMs for backup.

#15 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

2K and 2D2 are my favorites, 2D following.

The 2K can run in a few different configs - and this makes it pretty adaptable.
- 3x LPL or PPCx2+ERPPC
- 3x (ER) LL + SRMs
- Jumping zombie ready 3xML, 3xSRMs - STD engine

The 2D2 I ran for a long time as 2xLPL and Streak2x4, though I think I'm changing that now. This used to be a popular light-hunter ish as an LBX10, Stream2x4.

The 2D has a nice hardpoint mix, allowing (say)
- AC10 + PCC (or two)
- AC20 + 3xML - this may be what I have active on it right now
- AC20 + PPC (in either arm, depending if you like to spread your weapons or have a shield side)
- Missiles

5M and 2H right now are stripped in my mechbay.

#16 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Looking at the other hardpoint configurations I think I see why you like the K. Most of the options are just kind of.... meh. I think the K should be a nice addition to the roster.

Thank you Gentlemen I appreciate the help.

If I can repay the favor with some Atlas S tips let me know.... My 7D is sitting on about 800k experience.

I hate to do it to the 5M but I will most likely sell it once mastered; to be honest I only bought him for the engine. At first that was all I was going to do but it has been way too long since I had anything new to play. These mechs are just too cheap not to buy.

Edited by Glythe, 22 October 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#17 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

Here's a more classic 2D2 Light Hunter

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9345b1a08c2743a

Wee bit slower, packing the LBX

#18 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 October 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

SRM bukkakes nicely

:lol:

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostcSand, on 22 October 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

:lol:

How else would you describe 22 SRMs flying in the face of a Fatlas?

That was fearsome, before the DoomCrow.

#20 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

2K + SRMs = <3

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users