#81 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:48 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 30 October 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

I finally got the last cadet bonus. I was looking around at the skills tab and wasn't sure which to unlock first but I think I am going to try using different weapons before I start upgrading them to see which ones I will use the most. I don't want to sound needy but should I go for cooling, torso twist upgrades and such or straight to weapon upgrades? I know once I spend the xp I can earn more but a first bad step could lead me down a long, rough road.

Thanks.

Don't confuse the Mech skills (like torso twist upgrades, cooling etc.) with the Pilot skills (Those that enable you to buy modules like Sensor range, extra weapon range, Seismic etc.). The latter can only be bought by your hard earned GXP!!!!!!!! NEVER use GXP for anything but this (so don't use it to unlock mech skills. Warning! When you click on a mech skill and have too little mech xp the game will automatically offer to unlock it for GXP).

As for what to get in terms of mech skills it depends on the mech itself and the load-out. The cooling ones are essential for hot build and almost mandatory for any mech not icy cool. Torso twist is always important though the arm twist not so much if you have a mech without lower arm actuators. The acceleration and deceleration skills I find important for my fast mechs but usually come last in slower mechs.

For Elite skills there is no skill more important than the Speed Tweak. Also, when you get ALL elite skills your Basic skills double in efficiency!

As for Pilot skills/modules, it also really depends on what kind of mechs and playstyle you use. Don't unlock weapon modules until you know you want to stick primarily to IS or Clan mechs as these are not interchangeable. Playing a scout? Sensor range can help you get those scouting bonusses before your team mates. Seismic can be very handy for lumbering assaults. If you ike to use an Lrm boat then there are modules that help you retain targets. Etc. etc.

Because you've got yourself a Shadow Hawk there is really no module that's immediately necessary (comes with being a mech that can do a lot of things). Though if you find yourself plagued by Lrm's you could get Radar Deprivation. If you're doing a lot of long range sniping with that PPC/AC5 then you might like Advanced Zoom. Oh, and even though it isn't a main weapon on this mech you can't really go wrong with the Medium Laser range weapon module, that thing is the basic fall back weapon for about any mech. See you on the battlefield!

Edited by SnagaDance, 31 October 2014 - 01:02 AM.

#82 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

It may seem like a small thing, but it is nice to not be limited on positive feedback chances and posts for the day. I could go back and click "Like this" on the comments you all have shared without popping up a limit.

It's time for me to start grinding out matches and saving enough for 2 more Shadow Hawks. Thanks again for the tips and I hope to see you guys on the battlefield.....even if you rip me a new one, lol.

When I get more experience, I will be sure to help out any other rookies. The way you guys have helped me out!

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 31 October 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#83 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 30 October 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

I finally got the last cadet bonus. I was looking around at the skills tab and wasn't sure which to unlock first but I think I am going to try using different weapons before I start upgrading them to see which ones I will use the most. I don't want to sound needy but should I go for cooling, torso twist upgrades and such or straight to weapon upgrades? I know once I spend the xp I can earn more but a first bad step could lead me down a long, rough road.

I always unlock "Heat containment" (raises the maximum amount of heat you can reach, making large amounts of hot weapons excessively viable) and "Cool run" (improves the cooling rate of your mech, making hotter weapons a bit slightly excessively viable).

Also in general, you can't possibly 'mess up'. If you had to make choices like the original concept...that...we never got... then you'd have to choose one or the other, and then depending on how you play it would be possible to make a mistake.

On a side note, they plan to revamp some if not all of the unlocks anyway, and given how they did things in the past when they do this, you will have all the XP you used up refunded to you for every mech you ever get up until that point. :)

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 31 October 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

When I get more experience, I will be sure to help out any other rookies. The way you guys have helped me out!

Many of the people that are helping out were once rookies as well. Redshift predates me, but I've been here doing this for quite some time. Many of the voices that you hear from are people I've helped. Sometimes they appear on my side in matches. Sometimes they appear on the wrong end of my weapons. So it does have its own rewards.

Good luck, and remember it's okay to experiment with weapons. (In fact if I recall your build has a free energy slot. Spare a ton, stuff it with a TAG (Target Acquisition Gear) laser-pointer. Until the fix on the 4th, tagging anything you also shoot at will net you some money even without the use of missiles. Think of the slightly extra earnings as 'spending money' for experimenting).

Edited by Koniving, 31 October 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#84 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

Sounds good to me. I was trying erppc but had to really watch the heat on Tourmaline. The ac5 and ssrms were my go to there. We won but I did shutdown once for heat while fighting a Stormcrow and my teammate pulled my bacon out of the fire.

If you guys want to, please put me as a friend. I am a team player and I promise I will not bug you with questions or be a pest during the matches. I usually just say, "Hey hey...have fun" at the start of the match and GG at the end.

#85 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:15 AM

I never did thank the people at PGI for making this game playable to people for free. THANK YOU! I will be getting some MC to give back (and buy some more mechs.) I know I will be playing ALOT of pick up games in the near future since from what I have read on the forums, this helps to support the community so hopefully I can something give back in that way also.

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 31 October 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#86 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts
  • LocationDenmark -Northern Europe

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:16 AM

Friend Request sent...

As for the "I will not bug you": Im sure you wont. Pop in, say Hi. Maybe we'll ask you to tag along in a lance or something and have a laugh at your expence :P ... just kidding.

And yes. From time to time you'll stumble into Shar Wolf or Koniving on the battlefield. They proberbly wont remember you, but that doenst mean anything (just that they mentored alot of people and has a limited memory). If they are friendly, follow them. If they are enemy, dont pull any punches... they sure as hell won't.

#87 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

Thanks CSHubert. I try to be a nice guy but I will come at ANYBODY with everything I have. If we do play together give me hell if I screw up. I'm a big boy, I can take it. :)

#88 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

You'll find this funny. In most cases I'll remember a personality before a name (yes, even in text). Despite how everyone is taught their grammar and how to write throughout school everyone picks up their own habits.

For example I have an unnatural propensity to distribute commas in places that they don't belong. This is because I tend to put one whenever I pause to think of what I am about to say. It is something that is very difficult to get rid of. Everyone, somehow, picks up their own little habits that I will recognize long before I can automatically put a name to it. (So if you ever make an alt, I will be fairly quick to recognize it if you've got any distinct traits or personality to your words. Which you do, Shaemus).

Of course this is much like rather than color, shape, etc., I recognize movement first. Something that's been sitting there stationary will likely be missed or if seen completely forgotten over something that is rapidly moving across the screen. Doesn't matter how good your camouflage, how big or small you are, if you dart from one place to another I will instantly spot and react to you even if you're at the very edge of my eyesight. But a slow moving target, creeping upon its prey, could sneak up right in front of me and go unnoticed in a really active environment.

(What's funny is I find this is actually true of many other players, you'd be surprised what a slow light mech can accomplish in terms of stealth over someone competing with The Flash.)

Also add request sent.

#89 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

Thanks Koniving.

#90 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

View PostKoniving, on 31 October 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

You'll find this funny. In most cases I'll remember a personality before a name (yes, even in text). Despite how everyone is taught their grammar and how to write throughout school everyone picks up their own habits.

We all have some "quirks". Im a driving instructor. I cant remember names, but I do remember where every route a student have driven, where and what they did wrong and where and when they made a big step of progress. - For the last 10 years. Just by seeing a picture of one. But I cant remember their names...

...and we're off track...

#91 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

Playing this game is like learning to drive all over again lol. I thought once about setting up another account and trying Hunchbacks per Koniving's recommendation but it seems like juggling alternate accounts would be a pain in the ol' hemorrhoid habitat.

I believe I will just grind out matches and buy some mc here and there, build up a collection of Hunchbacks after I master the Shadow Hawks.

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 31 October 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#92 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

It'd be a pain. Better to snag mechbays. :) If nothing else, it's worth getting mechbays.
(Then again I've got more than 140 mechbays at the moment...and still feel like it's not enough).

#93 CSHubert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

Well I keep a tight ship so I only have 72 mechbays and 4 of them are free... And yeah: Mechbays is the thing... get em whenever you can

Edited by CSHubert, 31 October 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#94 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

i feel i should mention that the "mech skills" are XP based purchases that can only improve your mech's ability. the "pilot skills" are modules that enhance a build, variant or playstyle, they can vary from capture accelerator to radar decay (meaning when you target a mech and loose sight, you maintain lock for an extended time then normal)

always be sure to skill your mech, and while heat containment and cool run are very important, turn speed and accel/deceleration skills also greatly improve your mech's agility.

after getting full basic skills your second tier will give you additional abilities, after you unlock all "elite skills" (3 mechs of chassis) you will receive double of basic skills meaning you get 20-40% total movement and cooling increases.

to unlock the "master skill" (which is just a new module slot) you need 3 entire mech chassis within the same category (medium for you) that is fully elited to unlock.

Edited by zudukai, 31 October 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#95 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

Thanks , Zudukai. Looks like I will have to play many more matches to master the Shadow Hawks. That breaks my heart. :)

EDIT: I have hit an unexpected snag. I have been playing MWO through my 46" Polaroid TV (While sitting in my recliner) using Windows XP. Today I finally upgraded to Windows 7 and there is a lack of communication between my Nvidia 8800 GTX and my TV through Windows 7. I have to disable the video card to even boot into Windows 7 otherwise I have a blank screen when Windows would normally start. *SIGH*

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 31 October 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#96 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

I keep a monitor plugged in as a spare, because I know if there isn't a signal to my TV, the display will automatically feed to my monitor.

Then I can fix it, switch it over, and enjoy the goodstuff on my TV.
Posted Image
Don't know if this will help, but that's how I've got it set.

Edited by Koniving, 31 October 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#97 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

That is a great idea, but I am screwed. Since the untimely death of my monitor, I only have the TV.....apparently it is too old for Windows 7 to recognize it.

I better grind out some greenbacks for a new monitor.....or maybe this is a good excuse to give the wife for upgrading the TV. ;)

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 31 October 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#98 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 31 October 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

That is a great idea, but I am screwed. Since the untimely death of my monitor, I only have the TV.....apparently it is too old for Windows 7 to recognize it.

I better grind out some greenbacks for a new monitor.....or maybe this is a good excuse to give the wife for upgrading the TV. ;)

It's not that Windows won't recognize it. It's more along the lines of Windows won't accept it as the monitor until specifically told that you want the TV -- normally considered a secondary display -- to be "THE" display to use. By default it always looks for a monitor first, and it has to be told to not use the monitor as the default display.

Windows is a business operating system, after all.
You'd use TVs as a display during a presentation, not as the main method of using the computer and making spreadsheets. :P
Side note.
Spoiler

"People with the power to create use an Apple."
"But people with jobs use a PC."

Edited by Koniving, 31 October 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#99 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

Gotcha...I will borrow a monitor and make sure to get it set it up correctly. The last few hours have been EXTREMELY frustrating to the point that I wasn't thinking clearly. Thanks for the outside perspective and for going above and beyond to help.

EDIT: I am re-downloading the game for Windows 7. THANKS KONIVING!!!.....

*Humming - "Back in the saddle again"*

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 01 November 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#100 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like it worked. Good to hear.
From what I understand the game works better on Windows 7. Though this depends on the hardware naturally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users