46 replies to this topic

#1 Rise or Die

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts
  • Location91***

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

Seriously,

if you get skirmish there is not a single chance to cross the river without getting at least one side torso shot off or beeing killed in the first 20 seconds of the game by 1 light mech.

Why do the Assaults always spawn at the stuipd spaceship in B4?! Everyone starts to circle around (which is some kind of natural behaviour I guess, and you simply dont want to stand in the water without cover and fight) and all the slow assaults die.

Change the start point [redacted]! Thats just not fair.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 29 October 2014 - 03:07 PM.
Language

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

I think all the spawns should be reverted to what they were before we were split up. Especially on Alpine, but RC can be just as bad if you're stuck facing the counter-clockwise enemy deathball.

#3 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

The main problem is that the map is adequate for an 8v8, but 12v12 it's fail. Way too small.

Unlucky spawns on top just make it worse.

#4 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

Its not the spawns. its people not providing cover for slower team mates. blame the players not PGI.

#5 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostRise or Die, on 27 October 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

if you get skirmish there is not a single chance to cross the river without getting at least one side torso shot off or beeing killed in the first 20 seconds of the game by 1 light mech.

This must be the infamous 6 MG spider or the 3-second-Atlas-coring Jenner.

#6 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

I had a skirmish match on River City yesterday, our assaults spawned on B4. So what did we do? The assualts stayed where they were and everyone else came to them. We proceeded to march down the hill into the enemy team in the lower city. We won.

The moral? Stop going in the same damn circle eveytime, meet up with your fatties, and push from there. It's like doing something different is a herculean effort, or something.

#7 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

Its not just RC that has problems. A gauss direwolf took my stalkers side torso off from behind within the first 10-15 seconds of spawn on tourmaline (assault). My stalker is not slow and I was not dallying

#8 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

News flash...tell your team to join you in B4...

It is actually better territory than B2, and the enemy gets surprised because not everyone will hit you at once...they trickle in because they are not grouped up either.

Edited by Gyrok, 27 October 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#9 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

The main reason why people don't go B4 in River City to save the assaults is because everybody else is too busy surging forward to hit the other team's slowpokes in D2...

#10 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

lol@direwolf harassment when I read that I thought it was people complaining about direwolf sniping others crossing the river.
On skirmish in River City if you're on a direwolf just cut through the shortest path. If necessary, walk the last few meters backwards (starting from citadel mid, that's when 100+ KPH mechs can get to the shoreline). People will just reconsider when showing themselves, you're a direwolf after all.

#11 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

River city is probably the worst for circle quick and eat the slow ones up.

But that is what works, usually pretty good since a fair few of them will be the lurm boats.

#12 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostJack Avery, on 27 October 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

I had a skirmish match on River City yesterday, our assaults spawned on B4. So what did we do? The assualts stayed where they were and everyone else came to them. We proceeded to march down the hill into the enemy team in the lower city. We won.

The moral? Stop going in the same damn circle eveytime, meet up with your fatties, and push from there. It's like doing something different is a herculean effort, or something.

This exactly THIS B4 is the highest ground in the map, it's where you SHOULD be defending every game, not running to the citadel to put yourself in a terrible tactical position. No common sense or tactical awareness with half the people the play MWO

#13 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

problem is that while you can hold that from an attack from upper city. Lower city has the advantageous cover. Was that way with the old spawns. In order to defend you have to wait for the push or hang yourself over the edge to get shots while taking far more from the building below. If you get support from upper you can hold but that usually does not happen.

#14 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

I want to echo the thought about it being too small for 12 vs 12.

PGI have admitted early maps were 8 vs 8 focused because they didnt even know if 12 vs 12 was viable which is fair enough.

My wish would be that some maps would be 8 vs 8 or even 4 vs 4 depending on the Matchmaker.

If they find a set of people that have a good weight class match and close elo but its only 8 people, then it could put them into a random 8 man map like river city(ies), forest colony(ies), Frozen City(ies)

The only issue of course is that this messes with people cBill earning ... which i dont care about because i prefer a good game - but maybe you earn less in 8 vs 8? i am not actually sure.

The other issue is efficient use of their servers of course, making non-12 vs 12 games costs them some level of server space or processing power (i am not sure the terminology)

However the point still stands ... some maps work better with less and would probably add more variety. Less mechs on a field is actually quite interesting - less epic, but more space to maneuver and slower TTK.

I hope PGI has some thoughts about this for balance AND variety

#15 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostScratx, on 27 October 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

The main problem is that the map is adequate for an 8v8, but 12v12 it's fail. Way too small.

Unlucky spawns on top just make it worse.

Posted Image

#16 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

With all the benefits of running Assaults, there should be some drawbacks...including some combination of map and game mode that just really put Assaults at a disadvantage. Every Superman needs a kryptonite, but kryptonite is pointless unless Superman is forced to run into on occasion.

#17 MandyB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Or you could get a bigger engine? my atlas can cruise out of there with less than 5% damage no problem.

#18 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

If the B4 assaults cross the water right away, the light lance trying to chase them will be cut to pieces in the water if they expose themselves. None of the rest of their team will be able to get a bead on the far side of the citadel, so it'll just be them against four assaults with a huge section of open water to cross without cover. In the worst case, where none of the rest of the team tries to help.

I've only ever seen them actually die if they stay in B4 and no one comes to help them.

Assuming I'm remembering which corner is B4.

Edited by terrycloth, 27 October 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#19 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

I wonder how many of you share the same experience in pubs as the rest of with this issue? Simply saying meet up on B4, on assaults etc, yeah it's better to try for sure, but good luck getting the rest of the pubs to follow through.

The old 8 player maps need to be expanded, plain and simple, the bases on some those maps leave little wiggle room before you start taking fire from them, just another annoyance.

In any case the maps handle much better in groups, but in pubs, the players won't change and unfortunately that is where most games are played.

#20 Rise or Die

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts
  • Location91***

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostMandyB, on 27 October 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

Or you could get a bigger engine? my atlas can cruise out of there with less than 5% damage no problem.

Clan Mechs cant change engines

View PostZypher, on 27 October 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

I wonder how many of you share the same experience in pubs as the rest of with this issue? Simply saying meet up on B4, on assaults etc, yeah it's better to try for sure, but good luck getting the rest of the pubs to follow through.

The old 8 player maps need to be expanded, plain and simple, the bases on some those maps leave little wiggle room before you start taking fire from them, just another annoyance.

Getting 11 pugs to stay at B4 is almost impossible.. thats exactly my problem everybody runs off as fast as he can and the more time I lose while typing the more damage I get.

In the early days we only had 8 vs. 8 and the fights where still awesome. 8 vs. 8 in smaller maps and 12 vs. 12 on the bigger maps would be a great!

Edited by Rise or Die, 27 October 2014 - 04:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users