Revamp Tournament Scoring

5 replies to this topic

#1 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

With the addition of the new scoring and earning systems, I would like to propose taking a second look at scoring.

Yes, I'm talking about the infamous "Kill" statistic during tourney play. I have a love/hate relationship with tourney weekends. On one hand, I love that it gets all the "I only group" folks back in the open queues which is awesome. On the other hand, tourney weekends digress into a morass of selfishness, kill stealing, blocking fire lanes, and sociopathic behavior. (e.x. AS7-S spends most of its armor chewing up 2-3 mechs in a close range fight, only to lose kills to the 2ERLL Raven hiding at the fringes of the fight, who ultimate gets the "Kill" from the safety of their perch. This just one example of the silliness that goes in to adders, commando's, and spiders being able to put together 5-6 kill rounds x 10. It basically rewards those that hide until the later stages of a match to mop up kills with a relatively undamaged mech. I had at least 20 matches, where I was pounding a mech, only to have 3-4 vultures swoop into my fire lanes to get the "kill."

I propose we utilize the new scoring system, which I love btw, in future tournaments.

Here is the scoring system I would like to propose:

(One point tree)
Solo kill -40 points
Most Damage kill assist- 25 points
Killing blow - 10
Assist - 9 points
Damage done after team damage/20
Win + 20 points.

(Could institute a completely different scoring matrix for mediums and lights.)

This scoring system would truly reward the great players I saw out there this weekend and separate the scab feeders from the pack. (**Going to make this next statement with a caveat**) This would prevent, a few repeat offenders I see hanging back at the edge of fighting until the end of matches getting rewarded for 4-6 "Kills" off the labor of those chewing up and taking all the hits from opponents. 95% of the big names on every tourney board aren't exploiting the system, its just these completely random folks that show up ahead of the veteran "elite" with scores of 2200+ in drastically subpar mech classes that are ending up winning brackets.

This isn't about whining it's about making the scoring system truly reflect the contributions of those truly exceptionally skilled players. I don't care about MC prizes, etc... I just want the skill rewards to reflect more than that locust that comes up to get kills with their 1 ERLL at the end.

Edit:Grammar and point values.

Edited by Quintus Verus, 28 October 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

You might have missed the note, where Russ Bullock already declared a change for future tournaments. This was apparently the last time with the old system.

#3 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

I cant find the results anybody know where they are?

Thanks!!

#4 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

I missed that note too Egomane. Was it a forum post or twit?

Quint, it appears you're going to get your wish. The old scoring system was the pits....!

#5 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

View PostKali Rinpoche, on 29 October 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

I missed that note too Egomane. Was it a forum post or twit?

Quint, it appears you're going to get your wish. The old scoring system was the pits....!

As far as I know?
It was on twitter, but I saw it quoted a few times on the forums.

#6 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostEgomane, on 29 October 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

As far as I know?
It was on twitter, but I saw it quoted a few times on the forums.

Ah, thanks. I don't do Twitter, so I miss a lot of the stuff that gets mentioned on there.

@OP: Well, it appears that Wins are the only positive score. Everything else is negative! :lol: (Just teasing!)

Doesn't look so bad. I like how it puts emphasis on the solo kills rather than just kills. That will help keep the cherry pickers honest. Grinding HBKs was pretty tough because it was hard to get those kills. Every time it looked like I would get one, a Light would dart in and steal it or those lousy LRMs would pick it off.

...I really hate those LRM pansies on the weekends. During the week it's fine, but come tourney time, they all crawl out from under their rocks.

For anyone who can't find them, the Tourney results are here: http://mwomercs.com/tournaments

View PostCeltic Warrior, on 28 October 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I cant find the results anybody know where they are?

Thanks!!

I posted the link above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users