54 replies to this topic

#21 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Very nicely done, GraySho. One of my top-ten 'Mechs.

#22 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 06 January 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Needs more UrbanMech ;)

No Garth. Needs to be confirmed as one of the mechs that will be in the game. :mellow:

#23 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 January 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Can I ask you something GraySho? What is the best way to learn modelling in Blender? My bro has learnt to make good models in Google Sketchup and since we usually compete with each other, I tried Blender out. It looks good, but apart from some easy toying with modifiers and other basic things, I could not even make an Urbie in it. Any tips on getting some skills in it? Thank you. ^_^

My favourite resources for blender tutorials are: http://www.blenderguru.com and http://cgcookie.com/blender/. Blender has quite a different approach than other 3D software but is well worth learning. I´ve switched from a 600$ mid end 3D Software to Blender (open source) and don´t regret it. Just start with something simple like a low poly mech to get used to the interface and workflow and than start to add details as you learn.

View PostStaggerCheck, on 06 January 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Stunning work, GraySho. I can only hope that with practice I can get up to your skill level at some point. I posted a Vulture I took a stab at months ago. Was a fair challenge with only one ref image I could fine, plus a few shots of miniatures and model kits. Curious as to what you used for ref? I love all the fine details you threw in, too. Really makes it come alive for me.

I´ve basically just modeled from the original TRO drawing and blended it with my own interpretations of how it should look. A good eye and feel for proportions is the key. In the case of the vulture and all the 3052 Clan Mechs there´s plenty of reference images (front and side views) you could project onto planes as blueprints.

Needs more UrbanMech ^_^

I understand you´re a big fan of Urbies, I might consider this for future projects :P

View PostXarothiell, on 07 January 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Nice of you to share the model, Gray! Going to break it down to rig it and animate it during my spare time. Will credit you for the model if and when I'm done with it.

Can´t wait to see the results :P

#24 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

I remember when you just had the head for that sucker done, wow, turned out great!

Not to take away from this model, but I thought I'd show off somemore of Gray's skills. Always did top work for us.

Posted Image

#25 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hey Punk! I don´t even remember which year I did that. I really enjoyed working on those low poly models.

#26 Stinger

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

That is awesome. You should get it 3D printed...

#27 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostXarothiell, on 17 January 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Hi Gray,

Just a wip of the rigging and a little unpolished walk cycle to test the mesh for movement. I may tweak the mesh a little bit for animation but overall it's awesome. Thanks for sharing the model dude...I'll do a proper walk/run cycle once I get the rig and tweaks done.

I know the model is not perfect for animation because of intersecting parts. This is something I will certainly take into account for future works. Though your walk cycle looks really nice already, very natural and fluid (for a 55t tank on legs :) ). Only critique is the high glossiness of the shader, but animation looks great. Do you plan to animate it a bit further in kind of an action scene?

#28 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Nice walk cycle. I think Gray is right tho, too much gloss on that, abit duller on the metal and it would be fine. I like how you have the parts moving and jinking when the 'Mech walks. And wow would it be hard to target anything with that shoulder mounted cannon while walking..lol.

This is the type of movement that I hope we see the animators for MWO emulating.

Can't wait to see this finished.

#29 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostXarothiell, on 17 January 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

This is precisely why I love mid-high poly models. There's just so much stuff I can find to add on to the entirety of the animation. And yeah...I suppose you need to get a targetting assist + stabilizer module for the Hawk's canon :P.

As for the high gloss, it was intentional on my part. That's not the shader I'm going for, it was just a phong with color dropped on it for the time being. I will take into consideration of the points you two have brought up when I prep it for final rendering.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Ah, good ole Phong. :) I havent done any 3D art in so long I probably forgot everything I learned. Hehe. You can give the cannon a "stabilizer" when you do your animation, just a bit of extra rigging, a bone and joint, so that when you animate it it can appear to be holding steady while the rest of the Mech moves through the walk cycle.

#30 phelanjkell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

That animation looks great! Let's see it running, swiveling and doing some evasive maneuvers!!

#31 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

One of my favorites, thanks for showing that off. Hope to see it "painted" soon. In Steiner blue/grey and it makes it to my desktop (hint, hint Haydon). :P

Needs more UrbanMech :)

I swear "Urban-day 2013" is in the cards. :P

#32 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostMorashtak, on 17 January 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

One of my favorites, thanks for showing that off. Hope to see it "painted" soon. In Steiner blue/grey and it makes it to my desktop (hint, hint Haydon). :P

If you look on the first page, Grafix tried it, saw the number of faces and gave up. Too nice to be painted in assault way. :)

#33 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostXarothiell, on 17 January 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

And yes, I will be doing much more than a walk cycle. I'm planning somewhat of a small battle, maybe between 2 to 4 Mechs. Was thinking of modelling a Catapult after I'm done with the Hawk although I do have to admit, my modelling skills are somewhat lacking but we shall see!

Don´t worry about modeling, I also have a Phoenix Hawk and Thug on my hard disk if you want them. There´s also a free Catapult model (and other Mechs) available from Pawel Czarneky @ http://www.mechforce...eshsheet_is.php

View PostAdridos, on 18 January 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

If you look on the first page, Grafix tried it, saw the number of faces and gave up. Too nice to be painted in assault way. ;)

Just give me some time to fix that.

#34 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Out of curiosity, did you guys ever check with 'Mech Living Legends on actually getting these 'Mechs stomping around in a real game? Their pipeline is limited, and I understand we have animation talen here. The 'Mech community needs those skills!

The models are rigged, it would be a shame to put such quality to waste on the ends of making a low-poly.

Edited by Applejack, 18 January 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#35 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

It really does sound like it would do you a lot of good to familiarize yourself with MechWarrior: Living Legends and, most importantly, register here and apply as an animator. They need you, I need you (as a fan of MechWarrior), and many would be eternally in debt to you!

Particularly for animation. They really need animators.

#36 Glog97

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

3ds MAX?

#37 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Everyone on the Living Legends team works part time.

and congrats on your works. It's far more than I have patience for.
I do think that you should strive for more mechanical animations in which there is minimal movement of the torso, so as to logically connect a 'Mech with the words "stable firing platform".
On the meshes/textures/colors, I find Gunmetal works best.

I also see many animators undervalue the quality of an amimation set in which there is absolutely no clipping. I understand that completely removing all clipping is impossible (as sometime's it's just "there"), but it should be kept to an absolute visual minimum. Like with the feet in that cycle, they should not move unless the animation dictates that they move in order to move up/down a slanted surface (kinematics, I think).

As a base standard for critique, the Shawk walk cycle is fairly well-off.

Edited by Applejack, 23 January 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#38 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostPunk[KMSD], on 17 January 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

I like how you have the parts moving and jinking when the 'Mech walks. And wow would it be hard to target anything with that shoulder mounted cannon while walking..lol.

View PostApplejack, on 23 January 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I do think that you should strive for more mechanical animations in which there is minimal movement of the torso, so as to logically connect a 'Mech with the words "stable firing platform".

There are many references in the novels about switching back and forth between non-combat and combat modes. There's also a reference to the Shadow Hawk specifically where its autocannon doesn't point forward unless it's in combat mode. At other times, the AC barrel is pointing at the sky.

What I'd actually like to see is the model animated like it is already, but with the arms swinging like ours do when we walk. That's the way it would be in non-combat mode.

Then when it's in combat, the pilot flips a switch and the autocannon and right arm would switch into auto-stabilized combat mode pointing forward for firing. The left arm would still swing for balance, and the rest of the movement would stay the same, but the servos controlling the AC and right arm would compensate for any movement automatically. The launchers wouldn't need to be auto-stabilized, as their movement is minimal.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 23 January 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#39 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostApplejack, on 23 January 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Everyone on the Living Legends team works part time.

and congrats on your works. It's far more than I have patience for.
On the meshes/textures/colors, I find Gunmetal works best.

I also see many animators undervalue the quality of an amimation set in which there is absolutely no clipping. I understand that completely removing all clipping is impossible (as sometime's it's just "there"), but it should be kept to an absolute visual minimum. Like with the feet in that cycle, they should not move unless the animation dictates that they move in order to move up/down a slanted surface (kinematics, I think).

As a base standard for critique, the Shawk walk cycle is fairly well-off.

Keep in mind, animation is all about exaggeration. If you don't then the eye may not pick up the movement. As far as clipping, thats more in the building of the model. Gray stated he never really intended that thing to dance, so when building it he didn't over think the joints and just made them look correct.

And this is what happeneds if you are super OCD and must make everything work "for real";

Posted Image

Well, except the feet...got lazy/bored.

#40 phelanjkell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Punk hits on one of the coolest, and most challenging them about modeling. Making things mechanical in nature, with x amount of freedom of movement in joints etc. I find it fun, but sometimes it is rather difficult to get the desired look, but also the functionality!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users