Mining Collective - Screen Freezes Are Ridiculous!

18 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

Ever since the Mining Collective map was released, I have had nothing but trouble with it. It's the worst performing map of all of them.

The game freezes multiple times every time I play on it, regardless of what 'mech I'm piloting. About two to three times a game on the map, I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL out to minimize the game during a freeze then enlarge the game again. This has gotten my 'mech destroyed in a firefight more times than not.

I just don't get what's wrong with this map.

My video card is an NVidia/MSI GTX 260 (Twin Frozr OC) with ~800 MB texture RAM. Drivers are version 340.52.

CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, not overclocked, but undervolted enough for stable performance while reducing temperatures.

Bear in mind, MWO doesn't freeze my system, it just freezes the application until I CTRL+ALT+DEL out, then maximize the game window again.

EDIT: I have run the repair tool and completely wiped my MWO settings, and the screen freezes still happen. All of my graphics settings are set to medium except for textures, which is at very high, and environment, which is at high.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 02 November 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#2 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

it's not ur machine, it happens to hi perf boxes too.

#3 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:54 AM

It's just cursed map :( but nice

#4 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostDrSlamastika, on 02 November 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

It's just cursed map :( but nice

Legend has it that when you say the map's name three times infront of a mirror, urbanmech appears and gets stuck in a random location on the map.

#5 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

I agree, the map looks great, and I enjoy playing it when it works properly. These glitches do affect my enjoyment of the map though :(

#6 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

Installing the 344.48 WHQL driver fixed it for me. Remember to do a "fresh install" .

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:22 AM

Devs need to look into the map again for sure - if it's not the freezes and crashes, it's just plain low FPS.

I created a thread on the topic of map improvement/least liked maps and complaints about Mining Collective are pretty common. Pretty much performance is the only complaint.
http://mwomercs.com/...maker-to-avoid/

Edited by Tarogato, 03 November 2014 - 03:17 AM.

#8 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yep this map freezes on my higher end system aswell, i7-3770, GTX 780, 16GB ram, however if I've had a freeze on MC there is a good chance other maps will freeze aswell until I restar my client.

#9 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

They need to fix this map, or take it out of rotation. I can't drop on it without seeing a screen freeze.

#10 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:12 AM

If you haven't yet, update to the newest Nvidia drivers and be sure to do a "clean installation." This solved the issue for me.

#11 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like an nVidia driver issue try the WHQL suggestion.

Zero issues with map on 7870 and I've dropped it a lot.

#12 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

I looked into the driver upgrade. It turns out my GTX 260 is not a support product for the driver :huh:

#13 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 03 November 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

I looked into the driver upgrade. It turns out my GTX 260 is not a support product for the driver :huh:

In that case, here's what you should try:

1. Download a program like Driver Sweeper.
2. Start Windows in Safe Mode.
3. In Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper and delete all of your Nvidia Drivers.
4. Reboot your computer to the normal version of Windows, let Windows install the drivers for your card, and then update to the most recent drivers your rig can use, with the "clean installation" option checked. DO NOT use Geforce Experience to update your drivers, do it manually.

Edited by DEMAX51, 03 November 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#14 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'll give that a try. I was actually just reading about NVidia dropping regular driver updates for cards older than the GTX 400, so it looks like I'll have to get a new video card soon. But I need a new motherboard first, so a card probably won't come until next year :(

#15 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 03 November 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

I'll give that a try. I was actually just reading about NVidia dropping regular driver updates for cards older than the GTX 400, so it looks like I'll have to get a new video card soon. But I need a new motherboard first, so a card probably won't come until next year :(

Yeah, that 260 is getting a little long in the tooth. Be sure to check out Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals on sites like Newegg in a few weeks. They usually have some very awesome parts at significantly reduced prices :)

Good luck!

#16 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

I get this a lot as well. Some matches are fine, but others it keeps stuttering and freezing to the point of being unplayable. Only way for it to stop is to play the rest of the match in windowed mode here...

#17 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 03 November 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

I get this a lot as well. Some matches are fine, but others it keeps stuttering and freezing to the point of being unplayable. Only way for it to stop is to play the rest of the match in windowed mode here...

Have you tried playing the game in windowed mode from the start? Does the game screen still freeze then?

#18 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 03 November 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Have you tried playing the game in windowed mode from the start? Does the game screen still freeze then?

No I generally play the game in full screen. It stops when going windowed but starts up again going back to full screen. This usually happens only on Mining collective.

#19 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

I have luck.. Factory don't freez by me.. just the FPS drops 40%+ ... so about to 12.. If I climb a bit up, in one border-mountain, and watch the whole map.. it is 9 FPS..

I use everything on low.. lowest resolution... but... this is the my worst performing map (second is Frozen City, third is Forest Colonye Snow.)

There is something different, with this map... but, I can't find the reason till...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users