Arguably The Best Part About Trials

14 replies to this topic

#1 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Is getting to drop in them and ruining people's days when they assume you are a noob.

#2 GernMiester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostBrody319, on 03 November 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Is getting to drop in them and ruining people's days when they assume you are a noob.

+1

#3 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

I though you were going to say the fact that they are hidden in the mechlab now. :) But this is cooler +1

#4 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

It's a trap!

#5 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Even better is when people start to explain how to play the game.

#6 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

The last 3 times I ran in purchased Champion Mechs, I was considered to be running Trials. All they see is the (C).

Indeed, a great farce, regardless if you're an experienced player using Trials or purchased Champions...

#7 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostShinobiHunter, on 03 November 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

I though you were going to say the fact that they are hidden in the mechlab now. :) But this is cooler +1

I am glad they finally changed this!

#8 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Ha. Yeah. I ran a few matches in the trial BJ-1 before I invested in the chassis. In my second drop I happened to get 4 kills and 7 assists in a match where everything just fell into place perfectly for me, and someone on my team congratulated me on doing so well as a new player. I thought about telling them that I wasn't new by any means, but figured I might as well not spoil their pleasant surprise at a PUG result. I mean, we're all well used to PUG disappointment by now, why spoil an unexpected moment of happiness.

Of course, when I feel the need to live down to people's expectations, I just whip out the Jenner-F(c) I own. I'm terrible with that mech, but it's great for confirming player's worst fears about noobs. hahaha

#9 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

I did this one day in solo queue with the Trial Shawk.

Got congratulated on being a good new player. Then someone pointed out the Founders tag to next to my name.

#10 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

I leveled one of my Firestarters using the trial mechs. I bought the chassis but I didnt want to spend a bunch of money upgrading it since I was planning on using it for Stock nights. So I just Basiced it out with the Trial :)

#11 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

AND THAT THEY ACTUALLY WORK! Champion builds OP.

Anyone remember back in the old days when stock builds were trials?

#12 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

Q-mechs?

#13 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:33 AM

View Postluxebo, on 03 November 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

AND THAT THEY ACTUALLY WORK! Champion builds OP.

Anyone remember back in the old days when stock builds were trials?

We shall not mention that and thank god that is no longer the case. Single Heatsink mechs are just not functional on the hot maps at all (takes 2 seconds per % of heat dissipated -and- you gian more heat than what is manageable just from Jetting around)

#14 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

Just had half the team telling me how to play the game, priceless when I ended up with second highest match score with 3 kills and 8 assists in the trial spider.

#15 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostSuckyJack, on 04 November 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

We shall not mention that and thank god that is no longer the case. Single Heatsink mechs are just not functional on the hot maps at all (takes 2 seconds per % of heat dissipated -and- you gian more heat than what is manageable just from Jetting around)

:P

(There is Stock Mech Mondays, but I was saying that because that was when I started, with BOTH graphic issues AND stock trial mechs. *Gets blown up by AC40s, Dual Gauss, etc*. Then MWO launched, and while it was quite downhill from there to Clan Wave 1, Champions were very welcome, and then they placed 12 trials, and then they made em separate of the other mechs. Once they had put up the 1 year anniversary however, I knew things would've gotten up from there on out, which lead to today's quirk system).

Most likely I will be bringing a few of those champions into CW as firstly I don't have any Clan Mechs atm and secondly some of them are fitting for a role that I don't have in my stockade of mechs.

TL;DR: PGI has been doing a great job although it had quite the hideous past and imho it has revived itself back to full strength.

And trials now are fantastic.

*The sad thing is that they don't place that (C) next to Clan trials, or else someone could say that they were extremely nooby in a Nova/Dire Whale/Summoner/Kit Fox and then they wreck face in the match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users