14 replies to this topic

#1 Malus Darkwood

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

Hey,

I startet out with my Hunchy and started to play with it again recently. I am kinda happy with my two builds, but maybe some more experienced players can give me some advice about what I could improve.

For example, more AMS-Ammo and less armor? Getting rid of AMS all together for something else? A totally different build? Just share your thoughts :D

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8964b8c769c6b0d[/smurfy]

If you wonder why 1 t is left, its because my second build uses 3 ERLL, so I can switch around fast:

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2cd788dbf27dd81[/smurfy]

Both are ranged support, so, I hope you have good advices for me,
thanks!

#2 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:52 AM

The PPC build at least isn't very impressive. A Raven can mount it (minus the AMS & laser) and be much, much quicker & nimbler with it.

The laser build is a bit more interesting as it offers sustained fire capability. Unfortunately it also means you have to stick around to fire those, and someone WILL make sure to take steps to stop that.

Frankly, I'd try a single PPC build with a bigger engine and a few more lasers. Something like this: HBK-4P. It can move when it has to (and it WILL have to) and if something gets up close, it has 3 lasers instead of one. Granted, you only have on PPC to fire at distance, but you can fire it constantly and it will take you 4 minutes to overheat. Heck, I think you might even be able to add one or two more lasers in there and still do fine heat-wise (depending on preference).

If you want to go with lasers, I'd switch to standard large lasers. The Hunchback isn't a good sniper, IMO. Go for something like this: HBK-4P. Same back-up weapons, decent-ish speed, you'll essentially have to stick around the big boys and fire at whoever they're slugging it out with.

edit: OR, a bit more trollish, but likely occasionally effective: HBK-4P

You're making me miss playing my Hunchy and hating the congested medium queue... :(

Edited by eFTy, 04 November 2014 - 02:12 AM.

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:25 AM

View PosteFTy, on 04 November 2014 - 01:52 AM, said:

The PPC build at least isn't very impressive. A Raven can mount it (minus the AMS & laser) and be much, much quicker & nimbler with it.

The laser build is a bit more interesting as it offers sustained fire capability. Unfortunately it also means you have to stick around to fire those, and someone WILL make sure to take steps to stop that.

Frankly, I'd try a single PPC build with a bigger engine and a few more lasers. Something like this: HBK-4P. It can move when it has to (and it WILL have to) and if something gets up close, it has 3 lasers instead of one. Granted, you only have on PPC to fire at distance, but you can fire it constantly and it will take you 4 minutes to overheat. Heck, I think you might even be able to add one or two more lasers in there and still do fine heat-wise (depending on preference).

If you want to go with lasers, I'd switch to standard large lasers. The Hunchback isn't a good sniper, IMO. Go for something like this: HBK-4P. Same back-up weapons, decent-ish speed, you'll essentially have to stick around the big boys and fire at whoever they're slugging it out with.

edit: OR, a bit more trollish, but likely occasionally effective: HBK-4P

You're making me miss playing my Hunchy and hating the congested medium queue... :(

but a raven can't cool it that much, which is a significant differenc ein the dps coming form ths build

#4 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:26 AM

I recommend you use at least a std 250 in all of your builds, that way you'll have the speed you need to maneuver around bigger mechs, and you'll get the 10 true double heat sinks.

In case you didn't know, internal heat sinks are true 2,0 while external are only 1,4. Keep in min that this is only true for fixed internal heat sinks, not the external ones you can shove into the engine from 275 and up.

Here are some builds I use.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...572d99c17cdf7cc

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3da94a8eb29254

Edited by Snowcrow, 04 November 2014 - 02:34 AM.

#5 Greeneye

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationParma, Italy

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:39 AM

The Hunchy is the cinderella of the medium mech.
My preferred build is this HBK-4P. You can trade some speed with a little more heat sink.

Consider that it is exclusively a short-range support mech.

#6 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:05 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 04 November 2014 - 02:25 AM, said:

but a raven can't cool it that much, which is a significant differenc ein the dps coming form ths build

Yes but the Raven can duck immediately after firing, changing location and cooling off in the mean time. You can't just sit put and spam the fire button for the PPCs. The Hunchy with a STD200 however is slow and will need time to hide after firing, so it's much more vulnerable to return fire.

#7 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

If you get Radar Deprivation module and a 250 engine, you can get by without AMS

2xERPPC 3xML -- I found this worked best if you used chainfire on the ERPPCs. You get in the habit of tapping twice to fire them both. If you get into a close fight you use your MLs and just tap the ERPPC key once in a while so that it doesnt trigger both.

2xLPL 3xML -- cooler and more punch but shorter range than the ERPPC. Hits harder than the tradtional AC20 HBK build. This was a very reliable build for me.

9xML -- the most damage and also the hottest and least controllable unless you get multiple keybinds going. I never really got the hang of this build but a lot of people use it.

I dont really like the platform that much, close-up fighting but not enough mobilty to avoid damage or enough hit-points to tank damage, so I sold all my Hunchies except the Grid Iron.

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 04 November 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#8 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

I found [smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...89becf7f191f2ae[/smurfy]

Stick to the Large lasers, love ER but found to be just a bit too much heat.

Large generally have chain fire need to fire faster tap faster works quite well and on maps where ya can alpha 27 damage a pop is nice.

2 Medium in arms have for close in work and bit more agility, and 1 in head for zombie love that head laser always comes in useful.

250 STD on a hunch ya need the speed anyone and everyone sees a hunchback they immediately fear AC20 to need to get moving to make them miss as much as possible. not to mention lets ya relocate that much better.

Edited by Mad Ox, 04 November 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#9 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

Here you go. The only Hunchback you'll ever need after the upcoming pulse laser buff.

HBK-4P "Murderback"

Armor to taste of course.

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 05 November 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#10 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:35 AM

Ive been playing with a 7 ML HBK P with a STD250 and gobs of DHS.

#11 Xione87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

I mastered it with just 6 ML and 2 SL in the arms (mainly against lights or that assault backstabbing alpha). This setup didn't make me want to curse out loud whenever I saw the loading screen for Caustic ;)

Of course I'd curse even louder when that RT goes and I'm left with a single SL... but that breeds good play habits.

#12 RokRoland

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

There's only one way to lazor boat for me in a Hunchback: Alpha.

Unless you're going to lazor boat, why go for the 4P?

Which leads to my build, which I have not seen to be bested with regards to both alpha and useability. You can alpha once on any map. If you stick around, you are doing it wrong. However, much fun to be had if you aim that 57 points at the rear side torso of a Boomjager or similar.

Sure, the Murder-4P with all medium pulses can alpha 2 times and not shut down, but where's the fun when your alpha is not the biggest?

Note: You can also experiment with plinking away with the 3 large lasers in chain fire along with ML's to maximize heat eff if you so desire. However, if you find yourself to be doing this, think whether you are playing to your strengths. It is easy to get caught in chain firing lasers when you should plant a firm big alpha into one component and get the heck out to cool.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb70135c552056b

Feel free to use a smaller engine if you want more leg armor. Then again, nobody seems to go for HBK's, and specifically 4P's, legs. Don't go under 255 engine, though. Oh, and have the mech mastered or you'll have interesting overheat times. Did not try the much since the last patch, though, so things have likely just improved by about 10% heat-wise!

Edited by RokRoland, 05 November 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#13 Haydin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

3x MPL, 5xML with a 250STD is my go-to build. Pretty heat efficient for a 4P, and the pulses give you nice pinpoint damage and an extra punch if your hunch does get taken out.

#14 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

This is my 4P

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86048e7c7f10feb

yep is preety stock by currently its kicking mech rear plate :D

or
roughly the same thing but with a standard engine

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8b2cc3338922c2b

Edited by Dazzer, 05 November 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#15 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

Medium lasers took to long to fire before quirks. A lot of people switched to medium pulse in the hunch for the quick high damage alpha mainly because of the reduced hunch exposure. Now with the new quirks, medium lasers fire time has been reduced from .9 to .76 seconds I think it is more viable. I tested this build last night with decent results even on hot maps. HBK-4P Classic 4P is back. With proper torso twisting, you should consistantly stay in the fight and lose your other shoulder before you lose your hunch. Why poke at a distance when everyone else can do it better? Get the speed and mobility and firepower from the medium laser quirks.

Edited by Soulscour, 05 November 2014 - 11:44 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users