Dev Vlog #9

190 replies to this topic

#141 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

Question regarding the dropship mode: will we have a way to switch 'mechs even if our current machine hasn't been destroyed?

Let's say I take out a Jaegermech armed with nothing but ballistics. Ten minutes into the match, I'm out of ammo. Will I have a way to switch out of (or rearm) the 'mech, or will I be forced to waddle around useless until someone kills me?

#142 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

View PostStraylight, on 06 November 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

Question regarding the dropship mode: will we have a way to switch 'mechs even if our current machine hasn't been destroyed?

Let's say I take out a Jaegermech armed with nothing but ballistics. Ten minutes into the match, I'm out of ammo. Will I have a way to switch out of (or rearm) the 'mech, or will I be forced to waddle around useless until someone kills me?

thats a good point they would have to or smart players will abuse the game mechanics by leaving guys weaponless, you could walk out of bounds but that would be annoying and I don't think its possible on the new map.
I hope they do a nice ejection animation sequence

#143 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

Yes, they are working on an ejection mechanic.

#144 Daehoth

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

View PostCimarb, on 06 November 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

As much as I love this witty banter, how about we get on with the topic again?

I can't agree more, I do hope they pull themselves out of the bowels of mediocrity and into the halls of excellence soon.
My patience is unfortunately and sadly not unlimited.

#145 elitewolverine

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostStrikeshadow, on 05 November 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

I agree and "liked" most of your post, but you're wrong in this paragraph. First, if you were an expert with a 9mm pistol you could hit a running person while you were running at full speed up to about 50 yards. Considering the effective range of a 9mm pistol is about 100 yards max, that's not bad. I've read Navy Seal books where they claim to run at full speed and empty an entire clip into a playing card at 25 yards.

The reason behind the die roll to hit in the board game was to allow for pilot skill, not weapon effectiveness. Pilot skill is not random in a first or third person shooter game, so weapon effectiveness does not need to be randomized. Also, remember that high tech battlemechs have computer targeting systems that make them extremely accurate. In real life, modern battle platforms like tanks, helicopters, ships, and airplanes move at very high speeds and are extremely accurate to hit targets many miles away.

Thank you. However they are not running at 54kph minimum...nor firing at 500m+.

However this is a nitpick. But would if introduced, allow for wider gameplay and stop the double armor spam fest and no fear lights that we have running around. Any light should fear an assault, currently i dont see one yet that fears them. They should fear a ac20 coring the leg completely off, that is not the case anymore.

Anyhow. I really do like the game, i play it a lot. But it at times, comes to a point where quirks, nerfs, and other crap just start to ruin a good system that has been tried for so long. IMO that is.

If they want chassis variety, then open up the chassis, screw hardpoints and let us do what we want. There is plenty of quirks you could do to that, for both positive and negative. But that is just wishful thinking here.

#146 Greydron

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:27 AM

About King Crab... artwork is marvelous, but model is awful.

Compare to art:

Torso is too big, too tall (fat). And Legs are too small.

Shoulders are too thin, arms must be further forward from a torso.

Legs are bulky, far less detailized then artwork. Why square feets? They are oval in the art!

Another disappointment, just like Dire Wolf.

#147 Lancer Deistler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationStationed with the 8th Arcturan Guards at Here

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:26 AM

View PostCimarb, on 06 November 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

Yes, they are working on an ejection mechanic.

IIRC they also said somewhere that they are considering an in game refill mechanic. But that machanic must be balanced so that it can't be exploited. For example only alowing refill at certain locations and charging Cbills for it. But we will have to wait if that feature get's into that mode.

#148 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:14 AM

Ammo refill consumables... :shiftyeyes:

#149 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

View Postelitewolverine, on 06 November 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

Thank you. However they are not running at 54kph minimum...nor firing at 500m+.

However this is a nitpick. But would if introduced, allow for wider gameplay and stop the double armor spam fest and no fear lights that we have running around. Any light should fear an assault, currently i dont see one yet that fears them. They should fear a ac20 coring the leg completely off, that is not the case anymore.

Anyhow. I really do like the game, i play it a lot. But it at times, comes to a point where quirks, nerfs, and other crap just start to ruin a good system that has been tried for so long. IMO that is.

If they want chassis variety, then open up the chassis, screw hardpoints and let us do what we want. There is plenty of quirks you could do to that, for both positive and negative. But that is just wishful thinking here.

The problem isn't weapon effectiveness, after all fighter jets today can hit a target tank 5 miles away even though they are moving at mach 2 and the tank is moving at 80kph.

The problem is your 2nd point that a light mech can survive an AC20 leg shot. I think that MWO allows this to make light mechs viable for more than just scouting and long range harassing against assault and heavy mechs (even though that's all they are really useful for in prior video games). In prior video games, a light mech rarely lasted more than 10-15 seconds once it closed with the main battle line. Personally, I think they should not allow light mechs to survive a 30 damage leg shot because it makes a 5m cbill mech able to defeat at 25m cbill mech before the 25m cbill mech can expect support, which is just unrealistic.

As for hardpoints, they are lore specific. Plus they are a way for PGI to easily earn more money by simply introducing another varient rather than an entire new mech (a lot less coding).

Edited by Strikeshadow, 07 November 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#150 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Is it me, or does anyone else think that the swamp map looks like the one from MWLL or MechAssault 2?

#151 holysmokkin

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2 posts
  • Locationuk west midlands

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

new map looks amazing want it now lol

#152 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Mechwarrior Online is a very ambitious project. I mean we can compare it to past Mechwarrior games as much as we want, whether they were the classic Mechwarrior titles or the online Battletech 3025 product. Mechwarrior Online has a more challenging problem to solve than any past Mechwarrior game.

Somewhere we went from MVP to very ambitious...

#153 Azeem447

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

STRIKESHADOW, Im afraid I don't agree with you on hard points. the only mechs that have stock hard points are the Clan mechs. Innershpere mechs all have Extra hard points added to them.

For instance: Orion K (I must add that this is my favorite mech) come equipped stock with 1 ballistic, 2 energy, and 1 missile. However the Hard points are actually: 1 ballistic, 4* energy, and 2* missile. this DOUBLES the innersphere mechs effectiveness but also BREAKS all lore. Clan mechs were the only mechs that could change load outs on the fly, innersphere had no such ability. However PGI continues to make Innersphere mechs more versatile and clan mechs less versatile. Clan mech have only the hard points there Omni pods start with and NO modifications to them.

I must add that I would be hart broken if PGI Fixed the Innersphere hard points situation. I would rather see MUCH more freedoms with the clan mechs. do the same thing where they add in extra hard points or make 2 or 3 hard points that are Generic or something. however all I've seen PGI do so far is put even more limitations on clan mechs, my best example is the fact that all jump jets are now FIXED to all clan mechs. again this is in direct contradiction to Battletech Lore as jump jets were add on after the main chassie was assembled and there for could be removed at will. (and yes I am aware of the NOVA being and exception to this rule but that is specified in the tech load out.)

Also HOW THE HELL DO I QUOTE?!? this form site wont let me!

Oh and ill just say this but I also Agree with Almost everything ELITEWOLVERINE said as well.

Edited by Azeem447, 07 November 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#154 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

The new Map looks great and has an completely new setting !
Please release it as fast as possible...

#155 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

View PostDesintegrator, on 07 November 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

The new Map looks great and has an completely new setting !
Please release it as fast as possible...

Yeah, I also like the upcoming map. Completely new environment!

#156 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostKaemon, on 07 November 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

Somewhere we went from MVP to very ambitious...

The change was probably right around that time PGI severed ties with IGP and Transverse bombed. :P

Edited by Uite Dauphni, 08 November 2014 - 02:17 AM.

#157 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:33 AM

View PostDaehoth, on 05 November 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

You seem to know a lot about their inner workings...

Dude, scroll to the bottom of the main page.

#158 Daehoth

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 08 November 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

#159 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostDaehoth, on 08 November 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

Fair enough, no worries then ;)

#160 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostAzeem447, on 07 November 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

STRIKESHADOW, Im afraid I don't agree with you on hard points. the only mechs that have stock hard points are the Clan mechs. Innershpere mechs all have Extra hard points added to them.

For instance: Orion K (I must add that this is my favorite mech) come equipped stock with 1 ballistic, 2 energy, and 1 missile. However the Hard points are actually: 1 ballistic, 4* energy, and 2* missile. this DOUBLES the innersphere mechs effectiveness but also BREAKS all lore. Clan mechs were the only mechs that could change load outs on the fly, innersphere had no such ability. However PGI continues to make Innersphere mechs more versatile and clan mechs less versatile. Clan mech have only the hard points there Omni pods start with and NO modifications to them.

I must add that I would be hart broken if PGI Fixed the Innersphere hard points situation. I would rather see MUCH more freedoms with the clan mechs. do the same thing where they add in extra hard points or make 2 or 3 hard points that are Generic or something. however all I've seen PGI do so far is put even more limitations on clan mechs, my best example is the fact that all jump jets are now FIXED to all clan mechs. again this is in direct contradiction to Battletech Lore as jump jets were add on after the main chassie was assembled and there for could be removed at will. (and yes I am aware of the NOVA being and exception to this rule but that is specified in the tech load out.)

Also HOW THE HELL DO I QUOTE?!? this form site wont let me!

Oh and ill just say this but I also Agree with Almost everything ELITEWOLVERINE said as well.

There is a button for quote at the bottom.

I know hardpoints are lore specific, but they are not all in the game obviously. New mechs are more fun than just new variants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users