So Ice Ferret Builds

51 replies to this topic

#21 Loremaster Jonas

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:26 PM

Ice Ferret A with Prime arm works pretty well for me. 4 medium pulse lasers for hit'n'run work really well for me. You just have to have an eye on your heat.

#22 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:37 PM

I like to run a Narc launcher and a trio of med and small pulse lasers on my Prime... but every time without fail, my team forgets to bring LRMs. I get the feeling this mech is made for roaming and well... "ferret" out enemy formations, firing weapons is actually a secondary concern but when I go out and scout, people ***** that I'm not "sticking to the group" or "doing my own thing". What good is a 129 kph 45 ton mech if it has to stay tethered to a bunch of assault mechs ?

#23 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:11 AM

It's a hard mech to use ChapeL. Because of the chronic lack of space it's hard to do anything with it. I had the idea of keeping the omni pods to get the bonuses but in the case of the prime and A I'm going to have to switch one or two out.
My best build has been the C, with x3 SRM4 and a medium laser. That makes a nice striker:)
I just hate to loose any of that torso twist bonus>.>

The Prime:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c6b1cea2451fa83

The A:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...47e9ac955932e1e

The C:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a053dd4c8d83e9b

I ALWAYS run a probe-as it's simply too team useful (esp now post buff) to not carry it. If even half any given team has it, they can't bring enough ecm to effectively use it:)

Edited by kamiko kross, 07 November 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#24 Batch1972

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

I'm really trying to like this mech but trying to level it is awful. I've currently got 3 builds
1. 2 ERM lasers & an ER PPC which I'm sure will be good once I get all the enhancements but shuts down quicker than that
2. 3 ERS lasers & 2 SRM6's with artemis. Seems to be OK ..
3. 4 ERM lasers @ 1 SRM6

Would going pulse be a better option or fully lrm? I have issues being in Aus with lag & rubberbanding...

#25 Calcite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

try smlpl .....srm 6 (medium ICE) Q.. is what mech is it.. (or 3 mpl)

Edited by Dave warrior2, 07 November 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#26 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

Ya 3 MPLs works pretty well.

My top 2 though are:
1CERLL(CT), 3 CERMLs(arms), 1 CSRM4
2CSRM4(3tons ammo) 3 CERMLs.

and lastly 2 CERLLs, 1 CSRM4, no armor right arm.

#27 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

OMG the 4 MPL version is amazing! I'm been dropping 3 mechs average a game tonight! made 260K and 5900xp in one game!
Mastered, 4MPLs, Probe, MPL Cooldown, MPL Range, Sensor range and Radar Deprevation.

I call my new pet the Snow Weasel.

#28 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

UPdate, I have been running a large pulse laser and two medium lasers on the prime with BAP-works a treat!
My A switched to 4 er small lasers with BAP and targetting computer IV-trust me, that set up is a crit monster....

#29 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

Kamiko, why are u running CAP when u could bring a TC1 and increase ur crit % and range, especially with pulse lasers? CAP is better suited to CSSRM as both have similar range= Raven, Spider and Cicada killer.

#30 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Because CAP turns off enemy ecm and allows friendly missile boats to brutalize enemy mechs. I run a CAP and a TC mk VI with 4 smalls on my A.
I value my mechs use to the team over my personal damage score, I want to WIN. (even with the prime)
If I can get in there and cancel that ecm and let my lrm 60 trollhawk buddy go to work-then all the better for me.

Edited by kamiko kross, 12 November 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#31 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

Mine is exclusively in lance but ended up with three that worked for me:

2 cERLL+TC1
4 cERML+SRM6
4 cERML+TC1+cAP+DHS

First is obviously the eyes and sniper. Second was a close in brawler. Third was our hunter/mobile support and generally used to help anyone who got into trouble.

I actually found the brawling rather useless in the Ice Ferret as its arms and CT are incredibly vulnerable. But sniping and mobile support it does well.

One thing if you're levelling it up - just grit your teeth and bear it as it improves a lot as it gains xp.

PS: Avoid that quad MPL build as it runs so over hot you can't at all sustain fire.

#32 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

anyone else notice the unpainted hands and weapons on the models? Like they werent finished?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Keira RAVEN McKenna, 15 November 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#33 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

ER ML + 3 SRM 4's seems to be the best combination for me. I tried the 3 srm6 but i found that the tighter spread of the SRM 4's is more desireable, along with more ammo and a 25% faster rate of fire.

#34 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

I just pulled 868 damage today in a dual ERPPC build on Alpine. Would have broken 1k if I'd equipped a range module on it. This thing is a harasser straight from hell.

Build - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dcc8854f0bd1e95

#35 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

Kind of stumbled on a decent build today while trying something different: IFR-C

Its weaponry consists of a single LRM15+Artemis with 2.5 tonnes of ammo (30 shots), and four ERSLs for later in the game and for those who see your LRMs and decide they want to close the gap to mitigate LRM damage.

With my first two drops in it I started off concentrating on doing damage with the LRMs, only hitting the ERSLs when a mech got within 300m, then when my LRMs were done I'd start brawling, concentrating on the smoking mechs. I ended up with a pair of 2 kill, 5 assist games doing around 450 damage which I think is reasonable.

It's not the kind of build you should expect to pull high damage numbers, but I can see many games in the 300 to 500 damage range which is a reasonable contribution to your team.

#36 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

I like to stare down opponents, so i went for 3 streak 2 with erml. Did ok in my first 3 matches. My "idea" was fast fire and reload weapons. 2.5sec cooldown ain't fast though.

#37 RecklessFable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:27 AM

You guys almost make me want to try this mech. But since I play solo queue, it is in the same class as my Shadowhawk, Hunchback, Stormcrow... and the Firestarter is still a better mech in every way.

#38 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

You could if you want to. It is not an easy mech to play with. I'm earning quite some with it though

Edited by dragnier1, 21 February 2015 - 02:50 AM.

#39 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:35 AM

I bought this guy just to try it and I am in freaking love with this mech. It's like a big Commando or a Clan version of the Cicada. Just a boatload of fun.

On the IFR-C I've gone with 2xSSRM4 + 3xERML. Works really well for me and I've gotten a little rage from some Firestarter pilots who didn't expect what they got :lol:

On the Prime, it's 2xSRM4 + 2xMPL. Good little striker, though with so much of my firepower locked up in the arms, it can be a little rougher than the IFR-C.

Don't have the IFR-A yet but my plan is to try something like this, with 1xLPL, 1xERML, 2xERSL. The amount of weight available for weapons seems too small for that single ballistic in the arm to be useful, so I don't think I'll try any builds using a ballistic.

#40 waterfowl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

View PostVoivode, on 24 February 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

I bought this guy just to try it and I am in freaking love with this mech. It's like a big Commando or a Clan version of the Cicada. Just a boatload of fun.

On the IFR-C I've gone with 2xSSRM4 + 3xERML. Works really well for me and I've gotten a little rage from some Firestarter pilots who didn't expect what they got :lol:

On the Prime, it's 2xSRM4 + 2xMPL. Good little striker, though with so much of my firepower locked up in the arms, it can be a little rougher than the IFR-C.

Don't have the IFR-A yet but my plan is to try something like this, with 1xLPL, 1xERML, 2xERSL. The amount of weight available for weapons seems too small for that single ballistic in the arm to be useful, so I don't think I'll try any builds using a ballistic.

that C build looks fun. I'm going to have to try it :D we have to reduce the firestarter population

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users