My Solution To Single Player

2 replies to this topic

#1 Intelekt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

Mech warrior online has a good environment for a single player experience, here is my particular take on how to approach it.

I think a rouge-like approach would be VERY fun and effective, here is a summary of what I mean to some extent..

A weekly challenge of sorts, where we are limited to a single chassis (players do not have to own the chassis and will not keep it). The chassis would be completely empty, stripped. Players then are able to load-out the chassis with a variety of available weapons, armor and modules (the exact same variety for every player in the game is available).

The player then takes their chassis through a gauntlet or mission of sorts. (Think a single strip of canyon network with turrets and environmental dangers included). These would ideally be procedurally generated and then saved, but PGI would be able to build the challenges multiple ways I'm sure.

Afterwards the player is scored on various elements, which could include damage dealt, damage taken, tonnage used, armor used, ammunition used, accuracy, and of course completion. These scores would be on a leader board ideally and players could build and play the challenge as many or as few times in a week as they cared to.

The rewards for the Single player rogue-like mode would be slightly less than those for matches or Clan Warfare, but attractive enough to keep players interested in the mode.

The mission could very easily include some of the MWO lore. (Something missing in-game, and easily implemented due to the rich history available to PGI) IE. The two hero mechs coming out soon, Husband mech could have to save wife mech from peril or vice-versa, it would be a great way to introduce and promote new mechs also since everyone could play them, but not keep the mechs.

A.I. Mechs would be a great addition but are not a realistic project in terms of time, so for now, let's stick to the idea of turrets or stationary fire pods of some sort.

This is just an idea that came up while talking about potential solutions to Single Player MWO. After playing fun Rogue-like games such as FTL, Infinity Blade, and Rogue Legacy, I could see certain aspects of that mechanic being very fun and useful if adapted for MWO SP. I appreciate feedback, or additions to this idea.

#2 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

How would PGI earn money from this mode?

#3 Intelekt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

Ideally previewing new mechs would encourage players to purchase them. Also adding story elements and a Single Player mode would draw many new players to the game potentially.

Again this could be expanded upon including 2-8 man missions..

The other and less attractive way is to require a "ticket" for each run. Or to have a free one, and one for the mech "owners".

I would put it to you that none of the current modes "promote" purchases, that is all generally marketing on the site and to players who want different mechs or better power levels. The way MWO makes more money is to expand it's player base, more people = more potential transactions as in any free to play.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users