Ask The Devs 8 - Answers!

63 replies to this topic

#21 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Bring on the custom mech lab. I want to see the players screaming about canon every day freak out because they think the game has to be a total replay of the past.

And make a mech over 100 tons when that is possible :)

Edited by GHQCommander, 25 June 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#22 Isingdeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

A custom mech lab would be very canonical especially with the Battletech pre-clan era. Scavenging what you could to keep the mechs going was what it was all about. You want to at least stick to canon in the larger sense or you might as well go play Gundam on-line.

#23 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the answers Garth :)

#24 Helvetica

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Woot, a question answered :)

#25 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

me needs Mechs, now... i´m through with mw4 and mc2 again... i ...need...MWO... :)

#26 Wossername

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thanks GARTH, very informative, good news re the free-float after death. Also love the fact that all Mechs will be able to do damage to all the others.

#27 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 25 June 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Q: What is the average landspeed velocity of an unladen Atlas? [Black Sunder]
A: Combine or Lyran? [GARTH]

What? I don't know that!

*My mech is now Catapulted and I am now in extreme pain*

#28 light487

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

While I can certainly understand not having free-view camera.. what I would like to see in this is some cinematic cameras.. as a player on Team 1, you should only be able to see what Team 1 players can see.. but I'd like to have the ability to see not only through the eyes or 3rd person of my team mates but also have cinematic views that are a little more dynamic and move around so that it is a pleasure to watch.

#29 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Ah, good stuff, thank ye much Garth. But...

Q: Is PGI aware that the canon laser firing mode is a burst of light over a fraction of a second as opposed to what we see in your many vids, a beam lasting up to two seconds long? [KageRyuu]
A: Yes, we are aware of this. It is done as a balancing mechanic. This was done to differentiate Laser and Ballistic weapons, as Lasers need to be held on target, yet Autocannons simply 'hit' an area. [GARTH]

At least in the novels, the ones I've read anyway (which GENERALLY are considered a canon source), lasers are continuous beams capable of sweeping damage across a target. Any chance of a source for the single-burst lasers (I'm genuinely interested, not trying to troll or anything)?

#30 Tazzie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hmmm... Actually nothing new here, except for the missiles bouncing off the cockpit thing. Can't wait to give that a try on one of my team mates!! I know exactly who to do it to as well... His reaction will be quite "entertaining"I'm sure...

Edited by Tazzie, 25 June 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#31 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostIsingdeath, on 25 June 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Well now that the answer to the unladen Atlas has been clarified. I have an even more important question will the Atlas carry Holy Hand Grenades and what will the count be set to if they are included. I would think that a count of 4 would be way out for game playability.

You would hate Worms (the turn based game) then, as that game could allow players to hold more than 4 such grenades!

As for these Dev answers, I am very happy to learn about being able to see what my other team players see after my mech gets demolished - Thanks!

#32 William McNab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

In response to:
Q: Is PGI aware that the canon laser firing mode is a burst of light over a fraction of a second as opposed to what we see in your many vids, a beam lasting up to two seconds long? [KageRyuu]
A: Yes, we are aware of this. It is done as a balancing mechanic. This was done to differentiate Laser and Ballistic weapons, as Lasers need to be held on target, yet Autocannons simply 'hit' an area. [GARTH]

I think it is great that lasers have to be maintained on target. As for the statement that according to "canon" laser fire is a burst of light over a fraction of a second. I am not sure that is correct. I recollect in several books where the laser scorch is spread across an arm or torso as a mech turns. That would indicate to me that the laser has to be held on target. Later in the books as pulse lasers come into play, "pulses of coherent light" becomes the phrase of choice.

Not that it matters, but I think the developes had it right in the first place.

#33 Glasswlkr

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

In the tabletop game heatsinks in the legs is also useful because when half submerged in water you can increase the cooling efficiency of those heatsinks... Laser boats standing in a river FTW! :) (not sure if this mechanic translates to MWO though, just commenting on the good old CBT days)

#34 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Prolly gonna put heatsinks in my legs too, although I am debating to put ammo there if we can even do that, but I could end up limping a lot. In Mercs, standing in water increases cooling by 25%...I hope they incorporate it in MWO...it is realistic anyway...

#35 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

WHAT, Is the weakpoint of an Orion?

#36 Ghoullees

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

I nice little nod to Monty Python's 'The Holy Grail'.

Q - "What is the average airspeed of an unladen sparrow?"

A - "Africa or European?"

E - "Oh, I don't know.... aaaAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhh h h h h h h

#37 Walter Soebchak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 157 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

In regards to the last question, really? really dude? Why bother asking that? Does being supremely negative make your day more enjoyable? You could have asked an actual question, and gotten it answered. OR said nothing.

#38 Irish79

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Q: will LRM's fire duds at short range or otherwise be hard to use without lock-on? [SgtPaladin]
A: Yes, they already do in fact! If fired at (very) short range missiles will simply 'bounce off' whatever they hit, neither exploding nor doing damage. It looks really cool when it hits the cockpit. [GARTH]

Can we get missiles bouncing off the cockpit, as the next screenshot release?

#39 ZOMBIEKILLER

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

will you guys have a battlemaster mech in game

#40 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Excellent to see this kind of regular feedback. Can't wait for August!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users