227 replies to this topic

#21 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 November 2014 - 05:51 AM, said:

Not a lot of coordination happens in Chat though. Really it is quite rare. :unsure:

Pugs are a like the shy kid in class, you have to talk to them first.

#22 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostFinn McShae, on 05 November 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

I had quite a few matches this weekend where I was out of rear armor before the enemy even hit my front armor... Though I find more amusing than frustrating.
Yeah that was what it was like a couple times last night. BUT I am a brawler Atlas and I take up a lot of space in a confined space, So I won't complain TOO much.

View Postgregsolidus, on 05 November 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

Pugs are a like the shy kid in class, you have to talk to them first.

I would talk to them... If they were on Comms, but I don't type fast enough to type and shoot... :unsure:

#23 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

My favorite is when dead guy rages that more than 3 should have pushed (3 minutes into the match)... and then your team wins anyway.

#24 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 05 November 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

My favorite is when dead guy rages that more than 3 should have pushed (3 minutes into the match)... and then your team wins anyway.

Had one of those yesterday. Guy is all-caps raging about how everyone on the team is bad and we win 12-3...

#25 Khaze

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:58 AM

There are those extreme cases when one of these alleged "pros" dies first and throws a huge fit in chat, blaming the team for being lemmings or whatever. But then the game ends in a 12-1 stomp, with the "pro" being the only dead and my only hope is that they stayed in spec until the end to see how full of **** he was.

There will always be loudmouths. Maybe some of them are right. But throwing a fit and cussing at your team will not help the situation.

#26 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

It's symptomatic of our blameless society...

A disproportionate percentage refuse to accept that "they" are the common denominator in their failings and choose to project it on those around them.

They're morons OP... Best to be ignored.

This thread in an of itself will manifest into a premise that they are being unfairly labeled and feign victimization. :rolleyes:

Edited by DaZur, 05 November 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#27 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

I had a guy once get all butthurt that the team deiced to head for the mountain on alpine instead of his random coordinates. Obviously, he died in his failwhale early and we won the match.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostCelticCross, on 05 November 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

/rant

Well, I will say, yesterday in the PUG queue (team queue was really no better), teamwork did seem non existent, even when I was trying to feed intel and ideas, few seemed willing to respond, and I think only twice I had another teammate doing likewise.

So yeah, I would say that the issue there is almost certainly the team. Though raging about it after is largely pointless (though I do tend to be a little vocal about the amount of FF lately. Has the Elo reset, the playerbase shifted and we are 90% killwhoring scrubs now? Between the number of idiots parking behind me, and the others shooting up my back, if others are encountering the same, can't say I am shocked tempers are boiling over.) For me, if I am down and out early, I tend to leave and drop again. Less chance of having the same players in my next match, I figure.

As for dying early though? You know how often good players do die early? When you are leading a push, and then suddenly your whole team panics at light AC fire and leaves you high and dry (especially if you are an Atlas, doing what an Atlas is supposed to do), you are going to die, no matter how 1337 you are.

So yeah, raging at the team, generally is stupid. But perhaps if players weren't so blasted timid, and would stop cowering and hiding and actually push and play a little aggressively, people would be less prone to be pissed?

Heck, had a match yesterday (team queue) on Caustic. Our Assault lance spawns nearest the enemy base. Gets overrun by Lights. Rest of the unit is fighting the ridge at D5. After I beat off the Lights in my lil Ice Ferret (other acct), these guys proceed to take an Assault Lance to the enemy base and start capping, letting the rest of the unit get annihilated, and then waiting for the now damaged enemy to come back to their base. Bully teamwork! Great for their stats, bad for their team.

Players like that? Well I don't holler at them. But I do take note of names. And the next time? I won't go out of my way to save their butts.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 05 November 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#29 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

Bishop has a list and he's checking it twice.

#30 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

Good players die at all points of the match as do bad players.

I know I have often deathwatched players rock humping, players not engaging till they are the last ones, players pumping round after round into friendlies because they can't or won't hold fire till they have a clear target, and players spraying their lasers in all directions but the enemy.

On the flip side, I have seen players wander out into the rain early in a match, or hurtle head first into the enemy with little regard of what their team is doing, or trickle into a kill box one by one to get cut down one right after another.

I rarely get mad because thats what I get for dropping in the pug queue...

All of the reasons above are why organized teams used to roflstomp in the pug grounds.

#31 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:05 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 November 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

If they were on Comms, but I don't type fast enough to type and shoot... :unsure:

Don't be disingenuous... You know full well you can't chew gum and type. Adding shooting to the mix might result in a complete mental lock requiring copious levels of alcohol to lubricate your cranial abacus. :ph34r:

:P

View Postgregsolidus, on 05 November 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

Bishop has a list and he's checking it twice.

Bish is Santa? Good to know...

Hey Santa'Bish... FWIW, I want a shiny Zeus for X-mas. :ph34r:

Edited by DaZur, 05 November 2014 - 06:14 AM.

#32 TamCoan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:05 AM

I usually stay quiet if I die early in a bad match. However there are times where you know it's a bad team within the first few minutes. Assaults chasing the locust, lights who refuse to scout and hide behind the heavies, 11 people jumping on the one damaged enemy to get a kill when 8 enemies are behind them, etc... Had one last night exactly like that. Kept telling my team that 6 mechs were coming up our backside only to have them chase a locust all around a hill and ignore the enemy team surrounding them. Spent the entire game trying to get anyone to actually engage the enemy. Match ended 1:12. To make it worse, they never took out the locust.

In that case it really was a bad team, bad teams happen.

#33 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

Because....

You can't win a match sitting behind a rock with full armor.

Bad players don't enage the enemy and are affraid to exchange fire which is why the team gets rolled.

If the guy who says this dies in 2 minutes while doing 200 damage, he probably would have done 500+ if the rest of you ******* would fight the enemy at the same time instead of standing around waiting to get rolled.

#34 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

I've had matches where I've announced my heading, targeted 4 or 5 different mechs, dealt 400 damage while getting my butt kicked by said mechs, all while teammates milled around less than 500 meters away refusing to help me. Teammates that were following me but literally peeled off the moment I engaged as far as I could tell because OMG ENEMY MECH SCARY.

I do rage on occasion. Mostly for getting ditched when I had a (very) reasonable expectation of support.

#35 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

View PostCelticCross, on 05 November 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Had one of those yesterday. Guy is all-caps raging about how everyone on the team is bad and we win 12-3...

The team winning doesn't really negate the possibility of a team doing something dumb or playing badly. It just means the other team was even worse.

Edited by Krivvan, 05 November 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#36 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

View PostRampancyTW, on 05 November 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

I've had matches where I've announced my heading, targeted 4 or 5 different mechs, dealt 400 damage while getting my butt kicked by said mechs, all while teammates milled around less than 500 meters away refusing to help me. Teammates that were following me but literally peeled off the moment I engaged as far as I could tell because OMG ENEMY MECH SCARY.

I do rage on occasion. Mostly for getting ditched when I had a (very) reasonable expectation of support.

Don't ya love it when you roll into a enemy position flanked by 2 to 3 teammates... You feel emboldened and press the attack to then look down / around to discover they all but vanished as you get your ass handed to you by a full enemy lance? <_<

#37 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

Sometimes you do die because your team is being ********. Case in point: Assault Lance on Caustic. If you happen to be the Assault 'mech that the lights, mediums and Timberwolves decide to gang up on (which I often am because I like to drive a D-DC) and your team refuses to turn around and fight, you die because your team is bad. These are actually the games I like observer mode the most because I get to watch each and every one of those morons get munched by the other team.

Though it is hilarious when a Locust blames the team for his death after running ahead of everyone at 150 kph. You're not dead because your team is bad, you're dead because a stiff breeze hit your 'mech.

#38 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostCelticCross, on 05 November 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Why is it always the &quot;best&quot; players that seem to die first?

Obviously, it isn't, but they would like to think that they are. If only it wasn't for the &quot;noob team&quot; they were stuck with, they'd be snuffing out the Clan Invasion by themselves. Or so they believe.

Just got ridiculed by one of these &quot;experts&quot;. He was spouting the usual diatribe of how &quot;the team&quot; was crap and was the sole cause of his demise in the first few minutes. I called him on it and he proceeded to talk crap about how my use of cover while my weapons cycled was &quot;cowardly&quot; and that I should &quot;get out and fight instead of hiding&quot;, despite me taking on an assault lance by myself and causing 600+ damage. My match score was also almost twice his.

I would find it hilarious if it wasn't so constant. Seems every game the pile of dead guys just starts hurling BS statements about how bad the rest of the team is. Maybe it was a bad matchup. Maybe there were lots of newer players. Maybe stop to think before typing out profanity-laced insults. Maybe take a look in the mirror?

/rant

In pug its really bad because vets get mixed with newer guys. Its not that but alot does not to seems to have situational awareness and just take the obvious paths. Next time i just sit back before i get shredded to pieces while i say to move up while we have the chance and a 100 tonner is leading the charge.

Any idea how hard that is? Because i do.

I dont try to blame the whole team, but sometimes its just so obvious then you have to blame a faulty organisation.

Edited by Sarlic, 05 November 2014 - 06:14 AM.

#39 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

If I blame the team I'm blaming myself, since I am part of the team. If the team fails I failed my teammates. When my team wins then I usually feel I did my job whether or not I survived the match.

That doesn't mean that if I fail then my team somehow failed me: I seem always able to look back in hindsight and see what I should have done differently.

A related mystery: Why is it always the blue team that was bad and never red team was better?

Edited by OriginalTibs, 05 November 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#40 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 05 November 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

The team winning doesn't really negate the possibility of a team doing something dumb or playing badly. It just means the other team was even worse.

I've noticed a frequent pattern in regards to the "you're all idiots" player... when their team is standing around doing nothing when they get killed at a normal choke point, this is what usually sets them off in the 1st place.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt because....

If the team is standing around doing nothing and still wins.. usually the other team is simply hellabad, and doing the same thing again will fail 9/10 times in any other game.

Edited by LORD ORION, 05 November 2014 - 06:18 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users