Dead Guys Blaming "the Team"

227 replies to this topic

#41 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

I was in a light scouting and got blamed for out teams loss. guess i messed up the script with scouting..... people go full rodent at the fist sign of a red triangle

#42 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostDaZur, on 05 November 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Don't ya love it when you roll into a enemy position flanked by 2 to 3 teammates... You feel emboldened and press the attack to then look down / around to discover they all but vanished as you get your ass handed to you by a full enemy lance? <_<

This is something I have notice in many games, that I am completely flummoxed by. You are charging in with your lance, and at just a moment before engagement they scatter like cockroaches, often going off to a random location where there are also enemies to get killed alone. My only guess here is that they have a complete lack of situational awareness. They didn't know they were with 3 other people when they diverted, and they didn't know there were three other enemies next to the one they did decide to engage.

#43 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

Remember: the nice thing is chatting this: "Let's see how much dmg you made" and compare the value at the end.

It's always a pleasure to slap the "supposed" hero at the end of the match :)

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 05 November 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#44 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

I like to feed the trolls sometimes. I reply with the ever popular "says the dead guy" but I'm looking for a wittier reply.

#45 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 05 November 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Remember: the nice thing is chatting this: "Let's see how much dmg you made" and compare the value at the end.

The terribads are often the squeaky wheel. Of course its like this in real life as well.

#46 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

View PostLORD ORION, on 05 November 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Because....

You can't win a match sitting behind a rock with full armor.

Bad players don't enage the enemy and are affraid to exchange fire which is why the team gets rolled.

If the guy who says this dies in 2 minutes while doing 200 damage, he probably would have done 500+ if the rest of you ******* would fight the enemy at the same time instead of standing around waiting to get rolled.

BS. Anyone can charge head first into the enemy blind and do 200 damage before dying, as long as your driving a decently built heavy/assault.

View PostRampancyTW, on 05 November 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

I've had matches where I've announced my heading, targeted 4 or 5 different mechs, dealt 400 damage while getting my butt kicked by said mechs, all while teammates milled around less than 500 meters away refusing to help me. Teammates that were following me but literally peeled off the moment I engaged as far as I could tell because OMG ENEMY MECH SCARY.

I do rage on occasion. Mostly for getting ditched when I had a (very) reasonable expectation of support.

I'm sorry, if I find out that the team is heading into a killing box, i'm gonna jump ship first before I type "Team, fall back."

Pug 101: Never put yourself in a situation where your life is dependent on your teammate, and always be the first to jump ship when your team walks into an ambush.

Edited by mike29tw, 05 November 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#47 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostTastian, on 05 November 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

I like to feed the trolls sometimes. I reply with the ever popular "says the dead guy" but I'm looking for a wittier reply.

No one likes to see a starving troll... they need food too. For as little as one post a day you can provide vital sustenance to an otherwise under privileged troll.

#48 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

View PostTastian, on 05 November 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

I see a lot of the same people ingame every day due to me usually playing when there aren't many players online, and as a result I see mostly the same ragers too. Mentioning the stupid **** they did in previous matches tends to shut them up.

#49 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

View PostDaZur, on 05 November 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Don't ya love it when you roll into a enemy position flanked by 2 to 3 teammates... You feel emboldened and press the attack to then look down / around to discover they all but vanished as you get your ass handed to you by a full enemy lance? <_<

I have never seen Dires and Timbers run backwards as much as I do in MW:O.

It like they're piloted by Oddball from Kelly's Heroes.

#50 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:34 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 05 November 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

I have never seen Dires and Timbers run backwards as much as I do in MW:O.

It like they're piloted by Oddball from Kelly's Heroes.

I don't think you can call it running when it's a Dire.

#51 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:35 AM

Naturally it is more expectable that they dead guys complain while the alive one do not. FOr starters the ones with direct reasons to complain are the dead ones while the alive one are busy staying so to chat. And oyu know what, sometimes dead guys are right and sometimes not but lack of comunication most certainly is guilty.

#52 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

If you are doing the right/obvious/optimal thing, and no one else on your team is, then what you are doing isn't right/obvious/optimal. It's going to get you killed. If you PUG you need to watch your own team as much as the enemy and have enough speed to respond when the herd shifts. I prefer piloting assaults and it was a hard lesson for me but now mech speed is the first thing I consider for assaults, not the last.

Other things to consider:
  • Human beings in groups generally don't self organize, they herd. If you want a different result, use the command tools.
  • Gamers have been taught from a lifetime of solo gaming that in games they are the chosen one. I see a number of players in MWO still breaking out of that mindset.
  • Situational awareness is a skill that must be developed. We are biologically hard-wired to hyperfocus under stress. Spectating is a low stress activity, so the spectating player doesn’t see the world in the same way as the engaged player.
  • Multiple people can have different “correct” opinions, but human psychology leads us to think if “I’m right, you must be wrong.”
  • It’s not uncommon for humans to want to shift blame.

In a big way, some of the recent tourneys have helped shape my play style by getting me to focus on metrics of my own performance, rather than a simple win/loss mindset. I’ve decided the most effective way to improve my teams performance is to improve my own skill first.

I’ve also thought hard about taking command more often, but because of the behavior the OP describes I hesitate to be a lightning rod for chuckleheads. I can deal with abuse, I just prefer not to when I’m engaged in something I want to be fun.

#53 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:40 AM

Even when it's totally true and happens that the reason you die early is that a teammate essentially kills you, don't be that guy to blame the team. Just don't be that guy.

Yesterday a friendly Highlander on my team liked how I was peeking, shooting, then getting back into cover to avoid damage so much he decided he wanted to do it. He didn't tell me, just walked behind me and made sure I couldn't get cover and got torn up pretty well. He really wanted the shot though, and took out my side torso from the rear so it was't blocking him anymore.

Still, I didn't want to be that guy.

#54 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 05 November 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

But...but...but... They were not given the opportunity to succeed because the team failed to properly support "them"! :rolleyes:

Good players find ways to create their own success and often die trying. Even in death their efforts usually result in the ability of another teammate to succeed...

#55 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostCelticCross, on 05 November 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Why is it always the "best" players that seem to die first?

Obviously, it isn't, but they would like to think that they are. If only it wasn't for the "noob team" they were stuck with, they'd be snuffing out the Clan Invasion by themselves. Or so they believe.

Just got ridiculed by one of these "experts". He was spouting the usual diatribe of how "the team" was crap and was the sole cause of his demise in the first few minutes. I called him on it and he proceeded to talk crap about how my use of cover while my weapons cycled was "cowardly" and that I should "get out and fight instead of hiding", despite me taking on an assault lance by myself and causing 600+ damage. My match score was also almost twice his.

I would find it hilarious if it wasn't so constant. Seems every game the pile of dead guys just starts hurling BS statements about how bad the rest of the team is. Maybe it was a bad matchup. Maybe there were lots of newer players. Maybe stop to think before typing out profanity-laced insults. Maybe take a look in the mirror?

/rant

Mmm sometimes players have legit things to say, sometimes they don't, regardless of whether they're dead or not.

You could make an argument that all communication post-mistake (or post-event if you prefer) is redundant because nobody listens anyway (and I'd agree with that).

I don't think that's the same as what you just said, and I can't agree with you.

Yes sometimes people (dead or otherwise) say stupid/dumb/unhelpful things. Welcome to reality?

Lastly, talking about things is cathartic for most human beings.

Edited by Yosharian, 05 November 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#56 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostDocBach, on 05 November 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

There are a lot bad players out there and bad teams. I'm going to go against the grain and say sometimes the people complaining in game might have a point. Mr one ac2 sniper atlas, you did wonders for the team, great job!

In fairness that's failure prior to launch and there is only so much the team can do to support that kind of idiocy.

That's Darwin's Law at work... :rolleyes:

#57 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 05 November 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a "noob" and I don't appreciate being called one. It is funny to see these so called experts rant and rage against their own team. I'll usually respond with something like, "Big talk from a dead guy." It will either shut them up, or it will make it worse.

Just a word or caution, you might want to go back and edit your OP. There is a rule against naming and shaming other players in the Code of Conduct.

Jody

Yep, I think the worst thing I've ever said once I died is "This is painful to watch" and that was usually when the team was spread too thin and being picked apart one by one.

If I die early, its on me for putting myself in the position to begin with 9 times out of 10. But I tend to be on the aggressive side. ;)

Jody, let's go cave again....lol

#58 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

View Postibex230, on 05 November 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

It's called Duning Kruger syndrome, check it out :)

That was an excellent read -- ty for the informative post. I kind of knew that this bias existed but didn't know it had been studied....

"Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
  • fail to recognize their own lack of skill;
  • fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
  • fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
  • recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.

If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

—David Dunning"

-- From Wikipedia

Edited by nehebkau, 05 November 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#59 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

I will also point out that if you want more of a team effort in terms of coordination, etc. , join an actual team and drop in group.

If you are running the solo queue, expect to have to fend for yourself every drop. Then you will only get pleasant surprises when part/all of the team actually does work together.

And last but not least.

ITS A GAME, DON'T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY.

If you aren't having fun, you lose no matter what.

#60 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

I like it when the crap bunch of useless Noobs win with five mechs to spare.

You just have to mention it to the arm chair General don't cha !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users