General

225 replies to this topic

#1 CatintheHat

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

I never understood why this game didn't have a stock standard, everyone can use, easy to access, doesnt require additional installing, everyone has it, in game VOIP from the start.

I have just returned from a little bit of a break and still nothing.

It's good and dandy for group players to use external VOIP but how do you expect to effectively communicate with other players in your team.

It makes the game rather dull. So much can be added to atmosphere with ingame VOIP.

It doesnt make any sense that such sophisticated equipment like Mechs don't include a two way radio. Give me a fricken jam tin and a string.

#2 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

Because it's unpayed work, PGI can't sell it with MC so it won't happen.

#3 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

It is in the backlog... somewhere.

Some people think that being able to effectively communicate with other players will make the game more enjoyable, but as Douglas Adams wrote about the Babel Fish- [color=#252525] "Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation."[/color]

#4 MandyB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

Because people are immature, and right now people can be reported for typing offensive stuff. If you can talk in game there would be no record of what was said, which would encourage immature and offensive behavior.

#5 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

Same reason why there is no general chat in the Front End. Someone assessed during design phase that in these modern times of random groups thrown together by matchmakers in arena shooters people wouldn't need any means of communication.

In case of VOIP I think there are even quotable answers by Russ somewhere along the lines of: "You would use third party VOIP anyways, so the implementation time for VOIP is better used elsewhere."

To be fair though they did in fact try to put in VOIP during closed beta, but it required thrid party software as well and worked only for grouped players, which completely defeated the purpose, and thus went widely unused, but served as a case to not further pursue down that road.

Edited by Jason Parker, 05 November 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#6 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:44 AM

This is the one feature that I would love to have. Even if it meant that you could only talk while Premium time is active ;)

#7 Javenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

The first effort for in-game communication was C3, but never matured. They said they would look for an alternative in the future, but so far we have no new info.

#8 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:06 AM

I really doubt you'll have any compelling teamwork going on because of comms. A lot of these groups with comms don't actually end up talking about the game at all when rolling small groups. Different case when it's an even team match. But solo queue? I can't imagine it'd be any better than the game VOIP you hear in other shooters.

Edited by Krivvan, 06 November 2014 - 01:07 AM.

#9 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

View PostCatintheHat, on 05 November 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

I never understood why this game didn't have a stock standard, everyone can use, easy to access, doesnt require additional installing, everyone has it, in game VOIP from the start.

It's good and dandy for group players to use external VOIP but how do you expect to effectively communicate with other players in your team.

It makes the game rather dull. So much can be added to atmosphere with ingame VOIP.

It doesnt make any sense that such sophisticated equipment like Mechs don't include a two way radio. Give me a fricken jam tin and a string.

OUTSTANDING!

We have us some volunteers to be "online translators!"

I was wondering when we'd find someone that speaks fluent Outer Sloboknianavanianese.

Is PGI going to be paying you guys to do the translations 24/7 or did you just volunteer to do it out of your care for the community?

#10 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

View PostMandyB, on 05 November 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Because people are immature, and right now people can be reported for typing offensive stuff. If you can talk in game there would be no record of what was said, which would encourage immature and offensive behavior.

Ignore features are standard fair for this sort of public voice chat system.

Find someone as offensive simply add them to an ignore list.

Find that you can't deal with anyone talking at all ever even if it would improve your chances of victory ? opt out.It is highly likely you can turn it off if/when this feature is added.

I would rather have a potty mouthed preschooler who can shoot straight and follow orders over a deaf mute antisocial with to many "feelings" but that's me. I've heard worse and then some I'm not easily offended.

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:11 AM

if we get also a mute and ignore options for the rages and haters Voip would be great.

#12 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

The XP farmers have been fighting Voip being implemented since day one. They have lots of excuses but we can look past the smokescreen to understand why. Communications are paramount in any military engagement and as a rule those with the best commo wins.

Lets skip the bull and the stupid command wheel Ideas and move onto whats been in online games since 99'

Russ and his crew said it was in the pipeline in January. No mention made since. Sure would like to know if its still being worked on or if he has abandoned it. I have cash I want to spend here but wont until then. Just little bits of MC to justify my playtime till then and if it goes on much longer you get nothing Russ. Love the game but hate the execution to kiss the whales and NGNG arse over the new nickel players. Leaning curve is way to steep and the dozens I got to join have all left because of it. Wake up please. Sometimes during any 24hr period the server is dead. See the same faces every match.

#13 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostCatintheHat, on 05 November 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

Call of MWO is why. Nobody wants that.

#14 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:53 AM

I'm curious to see what becomes the priority after CW.

1 big thing, or a laundry list of things like VOIP?

#15 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:21 AM

Integrated VOIP has been pretty well standard in team based multiplayer PC games for around 15 years. Some implementations have been better than others. BF2/BF2142 had the most sophisticated that I personally saw and I loved it. That it was missing from BF3 was a major turn off for me on that game. I don't think MWO needs that but it could work well with the Company commander/Lance Commander mechanic. The Valve Source engine games had/have a pretty simple implementation that works really well. You just need a talk button that can be mapped and a simple way to mute the few abusers that will inevitably show up.

#16 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:29 AM

It is regretable this voip was never implemented when the very first code was brought out, it's only a 15 year old concept, mute buttons and a list of people you really don't want to hear EVER are common place.

So ok its to much to add in at this time give us a little game lobby pre match where one could invite others to join there TS channel and actualy regroup the teams into proper order. Nah thats just a bunch of mess, Give us VOIP and an Effective command Module

#17 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:32 AM

Actually with CW on the horizon and thus group play possibly becoming more important I'd much rather have a global chat in the front end than integrated VOIP.

#18 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostStraferX, on 06 November 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

So ok its to much to add in at this time give us a little game lobby pre match where one could invite others to join there TS channel and actualy regroup the teams into proper order. Nah thats just a bunch of mess, Give us VOIP and an Effective command Module

They actually tried to do that. The result was people raging over having to wait 60 seconds before the match starts. But I just had a thought: The perfect moment for offering the chat would not have been in the game before the actual match starts, the perfect place for such a match lobby would be still in the front end while the matchmaker fills your match. This would serve a double purpose: Shorten the perceived wait for match and giving time for some chitchat before the match and things like TS invites and friend invites.

Edited by Jason Parker, 06 November 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#19 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:44 AM

1) Little kids. Don't think I need to say more about this.
2) People playing music over the mic
3) People drunk belching into the mic
4) People drunk rambling into the mic
5) People making stoner observations into the mic
6) People screaming uselessly at their teammates
7) People screaming in general
8) People raging in general

We can keep going but don't need to

Oh let me add my personal favorite

9) Lazy complete idiots who can't use push to talk.

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 06 November 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#20 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 06 November 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

1) Little kids. Don't think I need to say more about this.
2) People playing music over the mic
3) People drunk belching into the mic
4) People drunk rambling into the mic
5) People making stoner observations into the mic
6) People screaming uselessly at their teammates
7) People screaming in general
8) People raging in general

We can keep going but don't need to

Oh let me add my personal favorite

9) Lazy complete idiots who can't use push to talk.

and a single mute button on the pilots to solve all your little issues. Not an excuse to not allow others the option to achieve some teamplay in random groups and pugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook