Solo Kill / Death Ratio

20 replies to this topic

#1 SkyCake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

i think this would be a better stat to have in the stats section of profiles, rather than the KILL STEALS / DEATH ratio we have now...

#2 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

Bad news, its a team game. If your not all shooting at the same target, your probably loosing. And you shouldn't be looking for solo fights anyways, there are more efficient ways to drop an enemy that will spare your armor and ammo.

#3 SkyCake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostZack Esseth, on 12 November 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Bad news, its a team game. If your not all shooting at the same target, your probably loosing. And you shouldn't be looking for solo fights anyways, there are more efficient ways to drop an enemy that will spare your armor and ammo.

actually, if you dont get solo kills you cant make money in this game...

#4 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

I average 250K a match in wins with 2 kills. You can make money, just have to shoot at more than one target. And neither have to be solo kills.

#5 SkyCake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostZack Esseth, on 12 November 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

I average 250K a match in wins with 2 kills. You can make money, just have to shoot at more than one target. And neither have to be solo kills.

with mech bonus i only go over 200k with solokills and brawling, even if i get 4 kills, unless they are solo, i make like 120k

#6 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

The best way to make money in this game unfortunately is to run Premium with a hero/Invasion/Phoenix mech. But high levels of spotting assists (people should press the R key more often and too many don't, not saying you do that) with kill assists, and component destruction's put me over 200K easy. The solo Kill bonus should be removed, it encourages bad play. Lights go running off desperately to find that lone Dire, people get overly aggressive and run out to their solo death to get in that "i did the most damage and killed this guy yeah" and cost the team. My Ember and BLR-1G are my go to money makers, and its cause I get these high assists ratios with lots of component destruction. I have no shame in taking a critted leg on a otherwise fresh Atlas, or the arms of a Catapult. It pays to take the enemy apart.

#7 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostZack Esseth, on 12 November 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Why you make this stupid post? Just say you got premium time and hero mech. Some newb might think that's what you should make normally and you just depress him.

#8 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

It's amazing how I come back two years later, and I still see the exact same threads. This is a bad idea for a few reasons:
  • It would penalize harassers, strikers, and lights - three roles that don't need any less love. They often don't do a huge amount of damage, and it's usually spread between opponents because they have to pick targets of opportunity instead of winning a staring contest with another fatty.
  • It marginalizes the killing blow. The killing blow is the most important shot taken 50% of the time, and that percentage increases the better your opponents are. Countless times, I've seen some guy get cored early on and still be one of the last opponents to go down, inflicting massive damage in the meantime. What you call a "steal" is actually typically more important than half the damage done to the 'mech. It doesn't matter if you piss damage all over something if it lives on to put damage on your team. I can't tell you how thankful I am for good lights that clean up wounded 'mechs.
  • Steals balance out. For every kill that gets stolen from you, you steal someone else's kill. Over the long-run, you end up being even. There's simply no problem to fix. It really sounds like you don't like your KDR and hope the number will look better if calculated differently.
I don't oppose them tracking all sorts of different stats and giving us more on our stats page, but KDR calculation should not change.

TL;DR: No.

#9 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

The elo I play in is so low I don't see kill steals, like ever. Sure, it gets nerdy but it isn't like there are hordes of players just trying to pounce and steal a kill.

#10 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 12 November 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

It's amazing how I come back two years later, and I still see the exact same threads. This is a bad idea for a few reasons:
  • It would penalize harassers, strikers, and lights - three roles that don't need any less love. They often don't do a huge amount of damage, and it's usually spread between opponents because they have to pick targets of opportunity instead of winning a staring contest with another fatty.
  • It marginalizes the killing blow. The killing blow is the most important shot taken 50% of the time, and that percentage increases the better your opponents are. Countless times, I've seen some guy get cored early on and still be one of the last opponents to go down, inflicting massive damage in the meantime. What you call a "steal" is actually typically more important than half the damage done to the 'mech. It doesn't matter if you piss damage all over something if it lives on to put damage on your team. I can't tell you how thankful I am for good lights that clean up wounded 'mechs.
  • Steals balance out. For every kill that gets stolen from you, you steal someone else's kill. Over the long-run, you end up being even. There's simply no problem to fix. It really sounds like you don't like your KDR and hope the number will look better if calculated differently.
I don't oppose them tracking all sorts of different stats and giving us more on our stats page, but KDR calculation should not change.

TL;DR: No.

TL;DR:

thats the way its done, no need to type anything above it, I think you over use it, do you even know what it means?

#11 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostZensei, on 12 November 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

TL;DR:

thats the way its done, no need to type anything above it, I think you over use it, do you even know what it means?

Over-use what? Do I know what what means? English please...

#12 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostZack Esseth, on 12 November 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Not so much looking for solo fights as having most of the team chasing a squirrel and I get 3 or 4 solos it means I am saving/carrying my team.

Solo kills tend to be more a sign that your teammates suck than that you are somehow doing all these out of the way one on one matches...

Exceptions are if your team won, and killed all 12 opfor and you have 1 solo kill , no other kills and no assists you are the bad team player.

The scoreboard should list solo kills as well as the team damage each player did. Those are stats that might actually help encourage good play.

#13 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

Solo Kill / Death Ratio would be more accurate.

If you don't get the solo kill, then pretty much all you did was assist in the kill, even if you grabbed the kill shot. You shouldn't get a kill credit for brushing your small laser over a cherry red center (with regard to KDR).

That said, I think a lot of players, including compies, would take a nose dive in their KDR. Which would make a lot of people cry.

#14 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

We certainly need better stats that are more representative of pilot skill. Details here.

#15 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

Actually I believe the spirit of what the OP is suggesting is "Most Damage" / Death ratio. Solo Kill is just a deathblow + most damage. The ratio of # kills where you had the most damage to # of times you died would be the closest summary stat we could get to a measure of approximate damage effectiveness.

Edited by KnowBuddy, 12 November 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#16 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostSkyCake, on 12 November 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

actually, if you dont get solo kills you cant make money in this game...

Killing the enemy and winning takes a higher priority as far as I am concerned.

#17 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 12 November 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Over-use what? Do I know what what means? English please...

TL;DR

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 12 November 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

Solo Kill / Death Ratio would be more accurate.

If you don't get the solo kill, then pretty much all you did was assist in the kill, even if you grabbed the kill shot. You shouldn't get a kill credit for brushing your small laser over a cherry red center (with regard to KDR).

That said, I think a lot of players, including compies, would take a nose dive in their KDR. Which would make a lot of people cry.

Would need to be solo kills /kill most damage, probably, and even then I agree with Homeless Bill.

I'm not 1337, but you know how many times I have been cracked open first few minutes of a match, by LRMs, etc, only to be the last mech standing and get 5-6 kills in the process, using Medium Skirmishers?

If any one of the OpFor had landed a killshot, a single PPC to my XL, that one shot, because it did MEANINGFUL Damage was more important than all the others in the match.

The guy who sits there, and dead eyes multiple wounded but dangerous mechs with a Gauss Jager, has done more for the team to win, usually, than the LRM/Laser vomits what have splashed damage everywhere. And a lot of times, while you dance your Solo Kill, you are actually NOT HELPING the team with the actual battle. Lock that Jenner up so your teams LRMboats can annihilate him, and move on to actually killing the rest of the team.

All we need is people fighting for "dueling" kills, instead of teamwork.

#19 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 November 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Would need to be solo kills /kill most damage, probably, and even then I agree with Homeless Bill.

I'm not 1337, but you know how many times I have been cracked open first few minutes of a match, by LRMs, etc, only to be the last mech standing and get 5-6 kills in the process, using Medium Skirmishers?

If any one of the OpFor had landed a killshot, a single PPC to my XL, that one shot, because it did MEANINGFUL Damage was more important than all the others in the match.

The guy who sits there, and dead eyes multiple wounded but dangerous mechs with a Gauss Jager, has done more for the team to win, usually, than the LRM/Laser vomits what have splashed damage everywhere. And a lot of times, while you dance your Solo Kill, you are actually NOT HELPING the team with the actual battle. Lock that Jenner up so your teams LRMboats can annihilate him, and move on to actually killing the rest of the team.

All we need is people fighting for "dueling" kills, instead of teamwork.

Granted, that is a good point, if the last shot on a kill is a glancing light laser it is all made right in the current scoring metric, I hate beating dogs and horses to death but as this game gains players through Steam or whatever we are going to beat this to the ground or at least until I have 457 posts

#20 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Should be damage dealt/taken instead.

Oh, no, wait, doing less damage for a kill is actually good...

Well, unless it's a kill steal. Yeah. Nevermind.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users