• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

EDIT:
Since very few people seem to read past this post before replying I'll add this here. I've listed examples of what goes on. I'm making a case that chain arty strike are not in the best interest of the game. No one has fun when they're boxed into a corner with limited movement options and then have arty's rained down on them. I'm suggesting an alteration to the function of arty's and not their removal (personally think the game would be better without them). Just because something DOES work doesn't mean it's fun.
/EDIT

I'm glad we limited this to a single consumable per mech but it's still really frustrating to be chain hit with arty's 4... 5... 6 times in a row. This utterly destroys medium mechs and cripples assaults. And before you say, "Just look for the smoke," you clearly aren't playing with experienced arty opponents. They're quite skilled at dropping them behind your camera's POV. This gets utterly ridiculous when your team is in a line and no one is far enough back to actually see the smoke.

My suggestions which are AND/OR:

1) Increase the cost of arty's from 40k to 100k. You gotta want it to use it

2) Increase the delay from the time it's placed until the shells hit to at least 10 seconds. Before you say, "But that makes it useless," no it doesn't. There are 2 components to arty: damage and forced enemy movement. When an arty is placed people will move out of the way and that automatically yields an advantage.

3) Increase the refresh time until another arty can be placed. This should be at least 1 minute. The game is 15 minutes long; not all the arty's need to be fired off in the first 5 minutes.

EDIT:

Let the flames begin.

Edited by Mitsuragi, 14 November 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

20 shells, 20 damage, 20 seconds.

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

I honestly don't know how someone could get hit with that many strikes in a single game. The first one would have told me that my current course of action was a bad idea.

#4 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 November 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

I honestly don't know how someone could get hit with that many strikes in a single game. The first one would have told me that my current course of action was a bad idea.

Tourmaline in F7. There's really no where to go because it's a funnel and you can easily be pressed for both sides. Our Direwolf ate 5 arty's, of which 3 hit me in 'crow. It's obnoxious and detracts the most of the game. Obviously that's my opinion.

#5 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostMitsuragi, on 14 November 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Tourmaline in F7. There's really no where to go because it's a funnel and you can easily be pressed for both sides. Our Direwolf ate 5 arty's, of which 3 hit me in 'crow. It's obnoxious and detracts the most of the game. Obviously that's my opinion.

Well there you go. That would be the last time I would let myself be put in that position. Still don't know why you stuck around long enough to eat three artillery strikes.

#6 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

Because there aren't enough whining posts about arty and air strikes already................

#7 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

HPG manifold is a joke when it comes to arty. Good luck getting away when you're in a DWF.

#8 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

Rule #1 of MWO: You are not safe... Anywhere. Play accordingly.

#9 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

Want to experience arty strikes? Play a golden direwolf.

I'm sure half come from my team too.

#10 Heffey

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostMitsuragi, on 14 November 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

They're quite skilled at dropping them behind your camera's POV.

Please don't tell me you play in third person mode....

#11 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostHeffey, on 14 November 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Please don't tell me you play in third person mode....

I don't.

The yellow badge means I have experience (for better or worse).

The red badge means I'm a whale with too much time on my hands.

Edited by Mitsuragi, 14 November 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#12 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 November 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

Well there you go. That would be the last time I would let myself be put in that position. Still don't know why you stuck around long enough to eat three artillery strikes.

Oh, clearly he and the dire wolf should have sat, camping and cowering out of line of sight from the enemy, not shooting at anybody because if they, instead, went out and shot, they'd clearly *deserve* to get striked to death.

Do you see why I'm not buying your rhetoric?

#13 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 14 November 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Oh, clearly he and the dire wolf should have sat, camping and cowering out of line of sight from the enemy, not shooting at anybody because if they, instead, went out and shot, they'd clearly *deserve* to get striked to death.

Do you see why I'm not buying your rhetoric?

Please enlighten me.

#14 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 November 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

Please enlighten me.

View PostBilbo, on 14 November 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

Enlightenment commence.

Option 1) Don't follow the team and split your company 9 and 3, which leaves 9 to be cornered and killed in F7. This is definitely not a game winning strategy. Obviously it was communicated that F7 is a poor tactical choice for an engagement with a PUG group queue.

Option 2) Go with the team and support them in their poor choice. You're going to be cornered from in front and behind but make the best of it. Go down fighting and hopefully take a few with you... except for the chain arty's that utterly destroy most of your team before the fight even begins... Yup, what was supposed to be a fight to the last man became cleanup duty for the other team. FUN GAME.

You are enlightened.

Edited by Mitsuragi, 14 November 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#15 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostMitsuragi, on 14 November 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I'm glad we limited this to a single consumable per mech but it's still really frustrating to be chain hit with arty's 4... 5... 6 times in a row. This utterly destroys medium mechs and cripples assaults. And before you say, "Just look for the smoke," you clearly aren't playing with experienced arty opponents. They're quite skilled at dropping them behind your camera's POV. This gets utterly ridiculous when your team is in a line and no one is far enough back to actually see the smoke.

My suggestions which are AND/OR:

1) Increase the cost of arty's from 40k to 100k. You gotta want it to use it

2) Increase the delay from the time it's placed until the shells hit to at least 10 seconds. Before you say, "But that makes it useless," no it doesn't. There are 2 components to arty: damage and forced enemy movement. When an arty is placed people will move out of the way and that automatically yields an advantage.

3) Increase the refresh time until another arty can be placed. This should be at least 1 minute. The game is 15 minutes long; not all the arty's need to be fired off in the first 5 minutes.

EDIT:

Let the flames begin.
Actually, do you want to know how you REALLY reduce the use of strikes?

Turn the Consumable slots into Consumable/Mech slots.

Given the choice I'd rather equip a UAV and almost any other 'mech module than a strike and I know a LOT of 'mech warriors out there who feel the same as I do.

The only reason we bother loading a strike at all is to fill the slot. Sure, we'll use it, but unlike a lot of the people out there wanting the COMPUTER to do their damage for them, it's not our first choice of 'weapon'.

Do that, and those that want to equip them still can, at the same price, with the same functionality, and those of us that don't want to can load up something of actual use...

#16 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostMitsuragi, on 14 November 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

Enlightenment commence.

Option 1) Don't follow the team and split your company 9 and 3, which leaves 9 to be cornered and killed in F7. This is definitely not a game winning strategy. Obviously it was communicated that F7 is a poor tactical choice for an engagement with a PUG group queue.

Option 2) Go with the team and support them in their poor choice. You're going to be cornered from in front and behind but make the best of it. Go down fighting and hopefully take a few with you... except for the chain arty's that utterly destroy most of your team before the fight even begins... Yup, what was supposed to be a fight to the last man became cleanup duty for the other team. FUN GAME.

You are enlightened.

So twelve people cornered and killed in f7 is somehow better than 9? Perhaps if someone made a move elsewhere 9 people wouldn't have been cornered arty struck into oblivion since the other team would have had to pay some attention elsewhere.

#17 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 November 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

So twelve people cornered and killed in f7 is somehow better than 9? Perhaps if someone made a move elsewhere 9 people wouldn't have been cornered arty struck into oblivion since the other team would have had to pay some attention elsewhere.

Do you run into competitive teams at your ELO? I run into 228, Lords, CSJx and SJR frequently. They don't just 'pay attention somewhere else' they kill the obviously exposed and easily outflanked targets first then worry about 'some pesky trio' later.

I would classify our actions as 'supporting the team' and 'taking the good with the bad'. Yah, we knew we were going to lose that match and there wasn't a lot we could have done to change that but we didn't expect nor deserve to be arty'd into oblivion. That's not even fun. What was the alternative? Lightly harass their death ball with our trio and watch the rest of our forces die, knowing that we're next on the chopping block?

I don't think the issue is with our strategic decisions; it's with the easy overuse of low or no risk damage.

View PostDimento Graven, on 14 November 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Turn the Consumable slots into Consumable/Mech slots.

This guy makes sense. IGP, make it so!

#18 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostMitsuragi, on 14 November 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Do you run into competitive teams at your ELO? I run into 228, Lords, CSJx and SJR frequently. They don't just 'pay attention somewhere else' they kill the obviously exposed and easily outflanked targets first then worry about 'some pesky trio' later.

I would classify our actions as 'supporting the team' and 'taking the good with the bad'. Yah, we knew we were going to lose that match and there wasn't a lot we could have done to change that but we didn't expect nor deserve to be arty'd into oblivion. That's not even fun. What was the alternative? Lightly harass their death ball with our trio and watch the rest of our forces die, knowing that we're next on the chopping block?

I don't think the issue is with our strategic decisions; it's with the easy overuse of low or no risk damage.

This guy makes sense. IGP, make it so!

I haven't had the privilege of playing against more than a couple at time recently, but when I have faced full teams of them, my strategies were never so stagnant.

#19 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

http://youtu.be/BuFfqE3xX2I?t=17s

Im sure some people remember when arty was laughable....
then it got buffed, then toned down again. Really, its in a pretty good place right now. As far as being caught in a funnel, well thats just your own fault man. Do not blame the game, blame your driving

Edited by CHH Badkarma, 14 November 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#20 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 November 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I haven't had the privilege of playing against more than a couple at time recently, but when I have faced full teams of them, my strategies were never so stagnant.

And probably no more successful. They are who they are for a reason.

So now that we can discount strategic decisions we can return to the issue I started this thread on: chain artillery and how it needs more warning and longer rest periods. You'll notice I did not say it needs less damage or any other such stuff. Just more incentive to use it strategically instead of spamming it non-stop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users