• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 November 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

They really do need to differentiate light/medium from heavy/assault

Id like to see the following changes:

1) remove speed tweak and anchor turn from heavy/assault skill trees. replace with skills that add shake reduction and damage reduction instead.

2) halve the base sensor range of heavies/assaults from 800m to 400m. That way heavies/assaults can no longer spot on their own and have to rely more on lights/mediums for sensor information.

a friggin atlas with Command Console, BAP, and ASM should NOT have a better detection range than a raven with BAP and ASM. for scouting to become an actual role, the lighter mechs have to be better at it than the heavier mechs.

Command Console should be replaced with C3, and be needed for sharing targeting info besides rudimentary "here he is".

This would also be a nice balance to the Clans, since they do not have c3 (cause Zell), and you would no longer see the LRMvomit. You want to hit that mech your friend is fighting with LRMs? Better get LoS, TAG or NARC on it.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 November 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#42 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

In order to be a good medium pilot you need high situational awareness and being able to read the flow of a battle. If you can't bring that to the table you will be very dead very fast. Unlike other weight classes mediums are unforgiving when it comes to mistakes.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostMichael Abt, on 15 November 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

In order to be a good medium pilot you need high situational awareness and being able to read the flow of a battle. If you can't bring that to the table you will be very dead very fast. Unlike other weight classes mediums are unforgiving when it comes to mistakes.

gotta drop together and show em what a pair of pissed Hunchbacks can bring to the table.

#44 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:57 AM

For mediums, its not just "straight line" speed - though they have more than heavies, generally. Its full agility. Mediums accelerate faster, stop faster, turn faster. A medium played as a striker in CQB around cover is _lethal_.

I've scored countless kills in my HBK4P that way. Being able to grossly outmaneuver heavies and assaults, striking out from cover, hammering vulnerable spots, and being into new cover before it's physically possible for them to draw a bead.

Torso twist speed and range, turn speed, etc. Mediums have lots of advantages that larger mechs can't match. Use them.

#45 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostTrapMech, on 14 November 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

Ok in my medium Cicada I either get cut up by two smaller mechs or pounded by a heavy or assault mech.

So is a medium just good for pop shots?

Yeah they are mostly good for strike builds here--let somebody else draw aggro, then pop out of hiding and lay down your alpha, then retreat back to cover if you get focused. They do not have the speed to avoid damage, or the hit-points to tank damage, and they do not have tonnage for high-damage builds either (modulo the typicaly AC20/PPC alphas). If they could move faster they would have more utility as fast brawlers and skirmishers, somewhere in between lights and heavies, but for some reason PGI has put a flag in the ground on conforming to stock builds (which were mostly used in group formation) and less than half are able to move at +100kph.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 November 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

For mediums, its not just "straight line" speed - though they have more than heavies, generally. Its full agility. Mediums accelerate faster, stop faster, turn faster. A medium played as a striker in CQB around cover is _lethal_.

I've scored countless kills in my HBK4P that way. Being able to grossly outmaneuver heavies and assaults, striking out from cover, hammering vulnerable spots, and being into new cover before it's physically possible for them to draw a bead.

Torso twist speed and range, turn speed, etc. Mediums have lots of advantages that larger mechs can't match. Use them.

Put you, me, Michael Abt and another HBK junky into a lance of HBKs, and I bet we carry it against dang near anyone not sporting LORDs or SJR tags.

And I bet we have a better than average showing against them, even.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 November 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#47 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

Yesterday i killed the same warhawk in two consecutive matches. Boy, he was really unhappy, calling me "AC20 n00b" and stuff like that. Didn't expect to see the day someone raging about my 4G(F). ^_^

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostMichael Abt, on 15 November 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Yesterday i killed the same warhawk in two consecutive matches. Boy, he was really unhappy, calling me "AC20 n00b" and stuff like that. Didn't expect to see the day someone raging about my 4G(F). ^_^

he wasn't, ahem, "Drunk and Disorderly" in his conduct, was he?
(Had a gent in a DW last week with the same rant against my 4G, when he chose poorly, and died for it, so just curious)

#49 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 November 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

he wasn't, ahem, "Drunk and Disorderly" in his conduct, was he?
(Had a gent in a DW last week with the same rant against my 4G, when he chose poorly, and died for it, so just curious)

No, he wasn't. He was insulting me in German and when i replied -i am German- he really got going. First match he died the moving-backwards-doesn't-help-against-Hunchie-in-your-rear death. Second match he died early during a flanking maneuver.

#50 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostBlackBeltJones, on 14 November 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Hunchbacks make the (BT) world go round. Just not here.

I 1v1 Atlai in my hunchback sometimes.
Fun!

#51 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostMichael Abt, on 15 November 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

No, he wasn't. He was insulting me in German and when i replied -i am German- he really got going. First match he died the moving-backwards-doesn't-help-against-Hunchie-in-your-rear death. Second match he died early during a flanking maneuver.

The classic "you killed me with X, thus X is a no-skill noob weapon" defense.

Seriously, though, this right here is what mediums excel at - come in fast and hard, strike vulnerable spots with heavy firepower, and not give the poor ******* even a chance to fight back.

People disparage mediums all the time, but the reality is that mediums fill a valuable role on the battlefield. More so, mediums are tons of fun to play - you just need to understand that they're neither lights, nor heavies/adssaults. Mediums are their own kettle of fish, with a fairly unique play style.

And honestly, while personally I'm still a better Heavy/Assault pilot, I truely love playing mediums and would play them exclusively if I had to choose.

#52 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

If Mediums had proper scaling, then they would be OP like the Firestarters :P.

#53 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

CDA-2A

something like that should do you well. It's fast, more heavily armored than any lights it will face, and can chase down (or off if you're protecting your team's flanks) most light mechs. It's a zombie mech that can keep on shooting until every single torso location is destroyed.

Cicadas are basically big light mechs. If you treat them like that and play them like a slightly heavier light mech you'll probably do much better

#54 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Some people like to talk a lot of **** about Medium Mechs. The thing is though, anybody who's actually taken the time to learn the weight class understands how effective they can be.

#55 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 November 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

I do fine in my Mediums.

Mediums are all about supporting the big boys, holding to cover, but keeping the fast guys off the big guys:

this

but in my opinion at least the 55´ers also fill a certain "aggressor" role

#56 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:22 AM

Purpose of mediums? Some MW book ive got reads something about how Mediums are the first to form the line of battle, lock the enemy in place and engage until heavier units can move up to support. So, my guess is Mediums are skirmishers. Neither all out main line brawlers, nor scouts, but somewhere in between the speed of a light and the firepower of a weak heavy.

The Lights and Mediums dont fit a CoD TDM style game very well. But if we had objectives like other MW games have, where your objective drags you across a massive map to destroy a firebase, meanwhile your required to cover a retreat of another unit elsewhere on the map, the Mediums can be moved quick enough to respond and provide some support until the bigger units move back to really mix it up. Also, mediums can pursue retreating units easier......

#57 Photeus5

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:31 AM

I run my mediums as mobile fire support or alpha skirmishers. Fire support I'll bring lrms and keep my distance but will hunt lights after my heavies with med lasers. Skirmish i am more agressive, finding the flanks of a big fight and lightly picking at foes on the fringes. If i see an opportunity to catch something alone or from behind i drop as much damage into as quickly as i can and then gtfo. Rinse, repeat.

#58 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

One thing that is often underestimated with regards to a Medium mech's speed is its ability to rotate itself away from focus fire. It's not about dodging shots, especially against players with really good aim. It's more that you're just a tiny bit faster than them so they have a hard time catching you with a group, especially since in a group of mechs, some must by necessity take a slightly longer path to get an angle on you.

Like, a DWF is way too slow to really rotate away from a concerted push.

One of the more enjoyable things to do in a Medium mech is to be one of the first ones to engage the enemy in earnest, and to be the first to take hits for the team, knowing that those hits won't kill you. If the enemy tries to push on you, you've got the speed to roll away from them if you see it early enough, so then the enemy will switch targets. And if you've got solid aggressive teammates with you, they'll push up front to relieve the pressure and tank for you after that.

Edited by YueFei, 16 November 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#59 TrapMech

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

Ok I beefed up the Armor on one of my mediums. Tried to take hits on the arms and run around like a light a bit more(Cicada Mec). I was a bit more successful and managed to keep some heavies busy and distracted while my team moved in. It is difficult one wrong move and I get pinned down. I guess I jut need practice.

Edited by TrapMech, 16 November 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#60 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostTrapMech, on 14 November 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Everywhere by three.

View PostMcgral18, on 14 November 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

I'VE FOUND YOUR PROBLEM!!

Stock armour; NEVER do that.

MAX your armour, get Endo Steel, don't use Ferro until you're done your build. If you have more than 16 slots, use it and upgrade the engine.

That's why you die so fast. You should have ~36 armour on your RT, not 8.

Everybody seems to be piping in viewpoints of mediums life in game, but still.. this is the most significant point of poor performance, you are seriously under armored.
Max your armor, if you need some extra tonnage, generally the little flappy arms can spare some. And endo/ferro and dual HS

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users