Light Mechs

11 replies to this topic

#1 PlagueSon

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:08 AM

Do something about the lights. If a 100 ton mechs backs into a light who is standing behind him why is it that nothing happens. Have you ever seen a semi back over a prius. WTF! Really gets tiresome having a light just stand behind you and blow you up and suffer no damage. Hell it is bad enough with the lag shield they all have but the ability to run up on a heavy or assault and just stand there and shoot with out fear of damage is total bullshit.

#2 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostPlagueSon, on 15 November 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

Do something about the lights. If a 100 ton mechs backs into a light who is standing behind him why is it that nothing happens. Have you ever seen a semi back over a prius. WTF! Really gets tiresome having a light just stand behind you and blow you up and suffer no damage. Hell it is bad enough with the lag shield they all have but the ability to run up on a heavy or assault and just stand there and shoot with out fear of damage is total bullshit.

You will have to excuse me here, while I think collision's have a place in the game. If ANY light just stands there and shoots you, they are toast, I suggest you blast his arse back to terra. They will pop.

#3 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 15 November 2014 - 06:52 AM, said:

You will have to excuse me here, while I think collision's have a place in the game. If ANY light just stands there and shoots you, they are toast, I suggest you blast his arse back to terra. They will pop.

Can't do that in an Atlas. Even if you turn around to face him (which you won't), you can't *see* him, nor can you depress the weapons far enough to hit him. And teammates are more likely to shoot you instead of it, so no, "being toast" doesn't really happen all that much.

#4 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 15 November 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

Can't do that in an Atlas. Even if you turn around to face him (which you won't), you can't *see* him, nor can you depress the weapons far enough to hit him. And teammates are more likely to shoot you instead of it, so no, "being toast" doesn't really happen all that much.

Sorry but any light that stands still is toast when they are fighting. Your team mates need to fix the slack. It is my experience that a assault pilot is still able to get the flea off his ass.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostPlagueSon, on 15 November 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

You might have 100 tons of mass, but you have no momentum unless you are going at speed. And you reverse slowly. Even a 20-tonner would be able to hold its ground by pushing its throttle higher against you. It would take damage from the metal grinding together, but as long as its weapons are still free, it would be able to continue shooting you. And the damage it takes is likely less than the damage its weapons are doing to you.

The "semi backing over a Prius" isn't valid in this instance.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 15 November 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#6 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

You're right... The 100 ton mech should trip and fall over. That would be great.

Victor: Hey lolcust go stand behind that Atlas...
Lolcust: hehehe
*Victor shoves Atlas over the lolcust
*everybody points and laughs
Atlas: its not funny!!! I'm big so I should always win (sadface)

#7 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

You can always maneuver your assault 'Mech in such a way that the Light either has to retreat or get inside your crosshairs, with the exception of being far away from any sort of cover. You should never be that far away from cover. If a Battlemaster with the old twist penalties can zero in on a Commando with proper technique, you have absolutely no excuse in an Atlas.

Tips: get your back against cover, rotate in place to improve turning time, use arms.

#8 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

If you're getting lights at your back this often your positioning is poor. Improve that before you start complaining for a mechanics change.

#9 Jacobei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationElite Light Rangers 5

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

Light mechs are kinda gimped right now. That is why although new lights are out they remain at 5-15%

#10 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

The reality is, that if 20 tonnes of anything hit 100 tonnes of anything at any kind of velocity, the result would be a very large pile of twisted metal and scrap. The fact that well constructed BattleMechs are involved only means that there will be a high tech pile of scrap (and 100% dead pilots).

We had collisions at one stage, and they were removed due to the amazing exploiting that was going on. A dragon could keep you on your back for the entire match. There was a thing called Jenner bowling. Movement at the start of a match often saw half the team on the floor. Also, it was found that if a light was knocked down, then it was almost assuredly doomed, despite some very wonky invincible hit detection as mechs were standing up.

I'd like to see collisions return, but only after a very careful rework. Well piloted Light mechs are supposed to be the doom of assaults, just like well piloted assaults are the doom of every single other type of mech.

#11 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

View Postdario03, on 15 November 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

You're right... The 100 ton mech should trip and fall over. That would be great.

Victor: Hey lolcust go stand behind that Atlas...
Lolcust: hehehe
*Victor shoves Atlas over the lolcust
*everybody points and laughs
Atlas: its not funny!!! I'm big so I should always win (sadface)

More like
Atlas steps back and crushes that light like a tin can.

#12 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostJacobei, on 15 November 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Light mechs are kinda gimped right now. That is why although new lights are out they remain at 5-15%

everyone keeps ignoring this..... "Golly Gee Beav, I think there is a reason for that"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users