• 2,773 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

Spoiler

#2 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:04 AM

That was fast.

That's not a complaint though! Would love to see these come out quicker even if it meant shorter episodes.

#3 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:07 AM

Thanks to Dennis for insight and background ... I'm really looking forward to what you do when you rebuild the old maps!

#4 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

Dat swamp map tho...

EDIT: GRAY DEATH HEROES!! :wub: :wub:

Edited by Helmstif, 16 November 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

There is still a difference between looking good and playing well.

While most maps "look good", they don't really "play well". I wonder if redoing the earlier maps would help solve some of the existing problems it has (mostly, the not-for-12v12 ones like Forest Colony).

#6 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:22 AM

When or if the maps are rebuilt, you mean. I look forward to potential expansions or permutations of current maps. Heck, I'd like it if there was more even distribution of heatmaps (for combat) on these maps.

Do your (PGI's) analytics permit such things? Heatmaps are generally a good indicator as to what players tend to gravitate towards. Kills obtained, deaths, etc. are all good indicators of where the action's happening, and allows for better analysis of level design changes that may need to happen. For one thing, I feel that Crimson Strait doesn't use enough of the space available to it effectively to facilitate multiple strategic outcomes. Mostly condensed in the loading bay area by the ship, or the B5-B4 area in the upper city close to the tunnel. Lots of combat in the tunnel due to its chokepoint nature.

Map revision is definitely something you guys at PGI should look into.

There are also tons of collision issues with assets, as they aren't done on a tight-wrapped collision, but instead using some CSG-type primitive for blocking volumes. Doesn't work out so great, unfortunately.

The reason why Tourmaline Desert, Mining Collective, Canyon Network, River City, HPG Manifold (somewhat), and Frozen City (and even dare I say Terra Therma) are all great maps, is that it provides something for everyone and doesn't limit options for players. Maps that hugely disadvantage one type of mech or playstyle should be revised, such as Alpine Peaks.

Edited by Vaskadar, 16 November 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#7 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:45 AM

Thank you, PGI, as always, for the very insightful information contained in the Dev Vlogs. This combined with the Town Hall, all in one week, has been quite a treat.

I would love to see the old maps updated and "rebuilt", as it were. I think there's a lot of untapped potential in a lot of the maps we already have. That's not just in the tile-sets that they use, but also in the basic premise and layouts of the maps.

I really look forward to getting my hands on that Hero Locust, as well as my Koshi Package. They look like they're going to be a LOT of fun. Thank you for putting those into the game and for making the Locust quite the unique little critter. I wonder what kind of quirks it's going to have. I'm also very curious if the Koshi will have any extra omnipods available to it, akin to the Kit Fox.

Edited by Sereglach, 16 November 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#8 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

Sweet. Can't wait!

#9 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

Nice swamp map.

really glad about the rebuilding decision on the old maps...!

wait... did i see a gigantic worm in the water at the end? :o ... scary stuff.!

Edited by Navid A1, 16 November 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#10 mechbane

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

Greyson at last! GIMME!

#11 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:13 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 16 November 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

When or if the maps are rebuilt, you mean. I look forward to potential expansions or permutations of current maps. Heck, I'd like it if there was more even distribution of heatmaps (for combat) on these maps.

Do your (PGI's) analytics permit such things? Heatmaps are generally a good indicator as to what players tend to gravitate towards. Kills obtained, deaths, etc. are all good indicators of where the action's happening, and allows for better analysis of level design changes that may need to happen. For one thing, I feel that Crimson Strait doesn't use enough of the space available to it effectively to facilitate multiple strategic outcomes. Mostly condensed in the loading bay area by the ship, or the B5-B4 area in the upper city close to the tunnel. Lots of combat in the tunnel due to its chokepoint nature.

Map revision is definitely something you guys at PGI should look into.

There are also tons of collision issues with assets, as they aren't done on a tight-wrapped collision, but instead using some CSG-type primitive for blocking volumes. Doesn't work out so great, unfortunately.

The reason why Tourmaline Desert, Mining Collective, Canyon Network, River City, HPG Manifold (somewhat), and Frozen City (and even dare I say Terra Therma) are all great maps, is that it provides something for everyone and doesn't limit options for players. Maps that hugely disadvantage one type of mech or playstyle should be revised, such as Alpine Peaks.

I have seen them it was a fair wile ago tho

#12 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:21 AM

New map looks amazing...how it plays will be another matter entirely.

Fog/snow effects on maps such as Frozen City currently bog down and reduce many players' FPS to near-unplayable levels, and the fog + leaves on this map look to be much the same.

I did hear the part about having learned from past mistakes, etc, and the reworking of old maps, so hopefully that means they found ways to better optimize this map so that it's not a FPS nightmare, and maybe fix Frozen City and smoke/fog effects as well.

Fingers crossed, otherwise, I guess it's just hope they allow us to someday down-vote maps that are abusive on our PCs.

Edited by Kodyn, 16 November 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#13 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:27 AM

nice

#14 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:50 AM

Nice!

I coincidentally just so happened to have read "Decision at Thunder Rift" a couple days ago, and started reading "Mercenary's Star" today. Then to watch this and see Grayson and Lori represented in MWO! Badass PGI! I love it!

P.S. The new map looks slick. Can't wait to try it out.

#15 Kyle Travis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

Lori and Greyson - oh thats pretty sweet :) want them now! Loved those two.

Jungle map looks good two

#16 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

thanks for the new video.

Shouldn't this be in the Developer Vlogs section?

Edited by xengk, 16 November 2014 - 05:40 AM.

#17 55555

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

love the changes, love everything about this EXCEPT:

ECM on the locust. i've been wanting and wanting this type of variant, and it's only MC to get. Pleasepleaseplease make a cbill locust variant that has ECM, it's way bigger of a deal then better weapon hardpoints or anything like that, and it makes the game feel more p2w. **** i'll pay the same cost as a DWF, like 17mill cbills...... i don't care. (in b4 get a job)

#18 Sayst

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:37 AM

Looks great ! Can't wait for the Locust <3

#19 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:49 AM

I love that idea of giant death centipede :)

And that little one on the end of the video is cute, guys you did it again, I definitely will buy both heroes and I am also waiting for my Lynx :)

Great job with this map!

Edited by DrSlamastika, 16 November 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#20 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:51 AM

Ha dat Map, *loads tons of Bugchems into his Flamertanks to fight of the Gigant Mosquitos :D

Looks awesome, sure hell of Fun to play and curse about all dat Cover <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users