Dev Vlog #10

223 replies to this topic

#221 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:12 PM

i gotta say i am mostly with Kay here... i quit a while back... not taking a break like i did a few times in the past few years, i know for a fact that this time i quit for good... and it´s mostly due to the lack of identification, the lack of a proper frame that i hoped based on what hopes PGI fed in me a good while ago... i have been waiting for CW for a long time, with -as mentioned - a few breaks due to it taking very long to appear...because i hoped it would change the banality of the game to a deeper, persistant and MWU worthy experience...

and now that it´s there it just isn´t what it could be, and certainly not enough to "reanimate" my deep interest that i have had for the franchise my whole life long... i´ll not repeat here what it is that is NOT there, and i am not going into detail how "what´s there is good" is not enough of an argument for me...

and sure, it´s a personal thing... a personal thing that i share with LOTS of people...people that have been staved off more than a dozen times...

while i had hopes in the past, MWO now feels to me like that: a relic from the past...

but you don´t need to thank me that i payed quite alot of money to make a game that YOU like... yvw ;)

p.s. Steam will probably save this games future at least for a good while, since everything that´s free finds it´s audience there and creates a good flow of "check it out, leave a few dollars, hop to the next game, repeat" from which games like this profit even if they lack of volume... and PGI can rely on that, probably more than on the crowd that initially funded the project...

Edited by Alex Warden, 14 April 2015 - 11:22 PM.

#222 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostAlex Warden, on 14 April 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

Spoiler

but you don´t need to thank me that i payed quite alot of money to make a game that YOU like... yvw ;)

p.s. Steam will probably save this games future at least for a good while, since everything that´s free finds it´s audience there and creates a good flow of "check it out, leave a few dollars, hop to the next game, repeat" from which games like this profit even if they lack of volume... and PGI can rely on that, probably more than on the crowd that initially funded the project...

Thank you very much!

While I understand you and a number of others understand this, it is very important to add the Community Warfare is in BETA.

Tomorrow night Russ' primary topic for the Twitch Townhall is Community Warfare BETA Phase 3.

Uniit and Individual Accountability will be added to CW in the form of Unit Logistics for a start and perhaps even "World Valuation."

Care must still be taken at this point because while we ALL want conquering or liberation a world to mean something TANGIBLE, there are Units like TCAF who currently have their "TAG" planted on 75-worlds SIMULTANEOUSLY. "World Valuation" can be so incidentally OP (C-bills income per planet; % savings to buy Factional Mechs per world; transportation cost savings per world; etc) or Units like TCAF would soon own the Universe, thus necessitating a map reset all by themselves...and with much of TCAF's winnings coming from their House LIAO side of the border and directed at House DAVION, it is HIGHLY likely TCAF will be well positioned to once again exact a daily tax on House DAVION of one, two and sometimes even three worlds in a 24-hour period.

The balancing of CW Phase 3 will take some time. PGI has already announced a BETA focus on CW being considered "hard mode." CW Phase 3 and its market dynamics will be that "Lever" by which MWO's BattleTech-experience is raised to new heights - as ACCOUNTABILITY, working toward UNIT SOLVENCY and balancing WORLD VALUATION will require considerable gamer feedback.

I also understand your feelings already of nostalgia for early MWO incarnations...it has been around for a while hasn't it?

But to me that is a STRENGTH of PGI's, they ARE still after refining MWO despite ALL that their gamer-base has put them through... despite ALL that IGP has put them through... Russ, Paul and PGI are still decisively engaged with MWO... AND MWO remains PGI's ONLY title to develop. By having only ONE title in the "barn" of a publisher/developer it quite indicates that PGI is "All In" with regard to MWO, and I applaud them daily for that.

As to Steam... if the MWO servers remain stable on Launch weekend, if the new PvE campaign TRULY is immersive AS WELL AS at least BASICALLY prepares Steam-Gamers for the "HAZZARDS" of Public Queue and CW - THEN Steam should generate a world of GOOD PRESS for PGI and MWO, and the resulting Gamer Interest should drive MONTHS of PGI monetization. I just hope PGI truly has the time and resources to get their ducks in a row for the Steam Release.

You only get one shot at a Steam Release / a "Steam First Impression" for your Title.

#223 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Prussian Havok,
GOD! Please, yes, lets take it to the Davrats! TCAF storming the Arby eating lickspittles!

...I gotta take a bathroom break...

#224 Connor Sellock

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 16 November 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

There is still a difference between looking good and playing well.

While most maps "look good", they don't really "play well". I wonder if redoing the earlier maps would help solve some of the existing problems it has (mostly, the not-for-12v12 ones like Forest Colony).

I am very interested in the Twitter notes on PGI's progress to both expand and "polish" the River City... having the Citidel NOT be the center of each and every battle when on this map will be an incredibly refreshing change!

Between Public Queue Map "renovations" and the new "Time of Day" functionality for ALL maps (both Public Queue AND Community Waefare) we are in for some excellent improvements to MWO / CW!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users