Playerbase

29 replies to this topic

#1 Yumemi79

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

Without pointing fingers or attacking someone, though i noticed this pretty early on.

Why has Mechwarrior Online the worst skilled playerbase i have up today met in any online shooter or mmorpg.

Is it a casual game for most? It can´t be the free to play concept. Maybe it is the limited amount of players each round and that one mech alone can barely kill two mechs from scratch?
Suggestions? ^^

Oh, and for those who deny my credibility, i am an old fart, playing online for decades. ^^

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

Lack of tutorials, lack of beginners only matches, and all players are matched together based on averages rather than separated into tiers of Elo skill. Take your pick!

#3 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

Only 1 server? Terrible sync lags?

#4 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:08 AM

I think its mostly due to the complexity of the game over others.

Comparing it to other shooter "template" games like Titanfall or CoD, there is a LOT more of a learning curve with this game then others.

- Tank control rather then twin stick controls with independant torso and feet movement.
- managing multiple weapons from MULTIPLE firing points rather then the invisible firing line drawn from your reticle.
- Heat management
- no rechargeable health
- no respawns
- Jumping is based on equipment and is only available on 1/3rd of the mechs out there.
- ammo can't be replenished.
- Just hitting the target isn't enough, you have to hit specific spots on the target.

There are a lot of unique mechanics to this game that make it unique and engaging for those willing to learn the systems, it also makes it tough and difficult to wrap around the heads of average "shooter" fans that are pretty much only used to different flavors of the exact same mechanics being fed to them from installment to installment.

#5 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

The game is very difficult to learn if you haven't played any mechwarrior games before. I played MW4 so I had some clue but even then you have to read everything spread everywhere and just be set for half your cbills to be wasted because you don't know any better. Just look at the weapons setups for trials. They should all be two button builds for newbies but you need to have four and five to make it useful more often than not.

No one at PGI gives a rats about new players. Its all catered to the whales and whales alone. So far in two years I have gotten 18 to join. Only two, the most recent are still Playing. I see the burnout coming though as both play less and less.

Maybe ingame voip would turn it around but its just another false promise left to die at this point. I just hope the whales can carry it. I do my part but will not spend for any packages. Its too much for pixels and too much for a company I have little trust left for. When I see them work to welcome new players I will buy what I wanted. Till then 12 bucks at a time.

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

No documentation, barebones social features, little outside interest.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 16 November 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#7 Yumemi79

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:26 AM

You provided some reasonable points. Some of them should be considered by PGI. Maybe even pick a fan based tutorial or provide links easier to access.

#8 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:33 AM

Sigh, I hate threads that compare MWO to other games - it invariably makes me wish that PGI would sell MWO to wargaming. Imagine running around with big mechs in the WOT engine - actual physics, destructable building, deflection angles at least for ballistics and probably for lasers as well.

#9 Sergey Kosinskiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 16 November 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Sigh, I hate threads that compare MWO to other games - it invariably makes me wish that PGI would sell MWO to wargaming. Imagine running around with big mechs in the WOT engine - actual physics, destructable building, deflection angles at least for ballistics and probably for lasers as well.

And gold ammo....

#10 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostSergey kosinskiy, on 16 November 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

And gold ammo....

Gold ammo that you can buy with ingame funds - as opposed to gold mechs which you MUST pay real money to acquire.

#11 Sergey Kosinskiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 16 November 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

Gold ammo that you can buy with ingame funds - as opposed to gold mechs which you MUST pay real money to acquire.

Oh so gold mech is better than base version? Is Dire Wolf(G) better than Dire Wolf(I) ?

Edited by Sergey kosinskiy, 16 November 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#12 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

The game is great.

The min-maxers, i.e. the 'meta builders' tend to make the game a bit of a downer at times. I mean, yes, people like to win but going the meta route just makes it not so enjoyable to those that have no idea how to rebuild their mech better. (Which I bet is easily 1/3 if not more of the player base).

The constant nerfs are making this game far too much of a grind than I like. Earning C Bills is now similar to having a job. :)

These 'let's test the game data' challenges are causing players to get frustrated and basically head on out to greener (easier) pastures.

I love the technical side of the game though! I come from the old old days of tabletop (Played in FASA's games when they first brought it to the masses at Gen Con). I thought the whole concept was incredible. Bringing it to life in this environment is even better. I just wish that they would create a PVE side to this game. I would be their most avid fan at that point.

There are lots things they need to fix. It does appear they are doing a great job in that department since they ditched the other publishing company.

What I would really like to see is more input from all manner of staffers to the player base via the forums. More than half the time I feel like I am typing just to hear the keys clack. I would love to see some feedback from PGI with regards to my concerns (which mirror many other players).

My .5 cents.

#13 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

View PostSergey kosinskiy, on 16 November 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

Oh so gold mech is better than base version? Is Dire Wolf(G) is better than Dire Wolf(I) ?

Are you intentionally being obtuse?
To answer your question: yes because it gets Cbill bonus... but obviously "Gold Mech" is talking about the Hero Mechs as well.

But even if it wasn't better - your initial point is moot because Wargaming "gold ammo" (which isn't even called gold ammo, which is why it is being obtuse to think that I was only talking about "gold" mechs in MWO)... Wargaming "gold ammo" can be bought with ingame credits while MWO "gold mechs" cannot.

#14 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

If 79 in your nick refers to your age, I'm not an old but an bygone, antique farth...
But yes, new generation of player seems terribad here... I don't know maybe it's only because they haven't played BT years ago, or, they aren't so interest in and only are playing somewhat free, so to try.

There aren't tutorial, but youtube is filled of mwo videos. And it's so simple to be informed.
And this forum? filled and replete of info.

If only one wants to improve.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 16 November 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#15 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

View PostSergey kosinskiy, on 16 November 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

Oh so gold mech is better than base version? Is Dire Wolf(G) better than Dire Wolf(I) ?

As an owner of one I can say...no it is not. It is exactly the same as the Prime. It just has a G in its name and...well, it's gold! :P

#16 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostJohn Archer, on 16 November 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

As an owner of one I can say...no it is not. It is exactly the same as the Prime. It just has a G in its name and...well, it's gold! :P

Prime gets Cbill bonus - which means that YES, it is also better than the Cbill Variant.

#17 Yumemi79

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 16 November 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

If 79 in your nick refers to your age

Some claim that it is my IQ, but yea, it´s my age. ^^

#18 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostYumemi79, on 16 November 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Some claim that it is my IQ, but yea, it´s my age. ^^

So someone can claim I have 70 IQ, then!
Bad, too bad.... :D

#19 Yumemi79

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 16 November 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

So someone can claim I have 70 IQ, then!
Bad, too bad.... :D

I don´t get it. ^^

#20 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 November 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

Lack of tutorials, lack of beginners only matches, and all players are matched together based on averages rather than separated into tiers of Elo skill. Take your pick!

This pretty much sums it up
/endthread

Edited by Team Chevy86, 16 November 2014 - 07:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users