Locust Pirate's Bane

94 replies to this topic

#21 DeRazer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

Fought one in my Wub-bolt (7 MPL). All you light lovers will be happy as they are as glitchy and hitbox broken as the firestarter/kitfox/stormcrow/timber(rear). 4x 42pt alphas and armour was still yellow. Hit reg is a joke now.

#22 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:41 AM

View PostDeRazer, on 19 November 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

Fought one in my Wub-bolt (7 MPL). All you light lovers will be happy as they are as glitchy and hitbox broken as the firestarter/kitfox/stormcrow/timber(rear). 4x 42pt alphas and armour was still yellow. Hit reg is a joke now.

did you take note that players ping at all, I know hit reg goes up and down but it is AU prime time right now and some aussies have terrible rubberbanding pings, was noticing it on others while mine sat stable, even in the same city.

#23 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

View PostPezzer, on 16 November 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f6d90c26831800a
LRMs=ECM, 1/2 MG ammo=MGs. Pretend the lasers are in each torso :P

For a minute there i was all like... ...lolwut?

Then I was like...

Posted Image

#24 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

ECM where you want it, when you want it! Seriously, it can get ECM to anyway ally on the field in seconds (provided you don't get one-shotted on your way there).

It's been pretty fun to play so far. I put Ferro on it at first, but took it off soon so I had more flexibility to mess around with stuff (cost is almost negligible on such a small mech like that anyway). Lack of JJ and torso only weaps can be tricky when climbing up the stairs and stuff on the new map (which I wish I could appreciate in full color, but I can't play on it well without using thermal vision).

Pretty good numbers for me so far after a small sample size of 23 games. W/L 2.29, K/D 2.09, 260 average damage. Better than all my other Locusts except for damage (1E gets nearly 100 more average). But that makes sense, this isn't a 5-6 SPL or ML wielding laser-canoe like the 1E or 3M. The ECM definitely helps, though BAP is everywhere now. I find myself eschewing machine guns most of the time, preferring to go with some mix of SL, SPL and ML.

#25 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

As an assault, i am very impressed by the support i can get from a proper PB pilot. a big thumbs up for these little devils!

#26 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

I like to play 2ML, 2SL & 2MG (1/2 tonne ammo). The MGs blind me too much, so I use them only to finish things off, instead of blaring 24/7.

The ML are more for range and a bit more of an alpha. The heat is pretty low, overall too.

I love that the PB is pretty much ready to play though out of the box - all I did was move 8 points of armour from the head to the arms, and slightly increase back armour (because I am so hit-and-fade)

#27 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

No not very interested in new heros mechs, only like the new map!

#28 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

going away from the brawler idea. i have been running lct1m as a fire support/spotter/scout with nice success. so for a spotter/scout role i may try this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...92dd1d763bed7ce

the 1m works good at 700m but with only lrm5s and tag if i get caught by a fast mech it is all over. this setup should be able to defend it self better. also with the ecm i will get advance warning when a bap equipped mech is closing in.

#29 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

I've basic'd mine now.
I love to play sneaky hit-and-run, and I feel that this is what Locusts excel at. For that reason I am extra disappointed in the PB. Ballistic slots are pointless. A mere two even more so, and the MG's are blinding me. Four energy hardpoints makes it worse at the job than than the 3M and 1E, while having MUCH weaker quirks than both.
ECM? It only gives me away as I try to sneak behind people, and LRM's are not a concern. Stay with group and provide ECM-cover? But I want to flank, scout, and backstab, that's why I'm in a Locust. If it had 2 or 3 AMS, at least you could be a fast little umbrella. Now, it doesn't seem to fit any role well.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought it.

#30 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

its cute, but I am struggling to justify buying one.
as mentioned BAP makes it near worthless without something resembling a weapon.
a 6mg build limited to 1.5 tons of ammo would be better than what i'm looking at in smurf.
OR the ability to carry three (insert any three in any combo) arty, air strike, uav

#31 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 19 November 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

It is AU prime time right now.

So you are the blokes I play with every morning :). I thought I detected an Australian accent over the in game chat. On topic now... I was a little surprised at the relatively small quirks the PB got considering how much ecm is nerfed now with BAP. I was just out in my commando 2d and I had a good round but the ecm was countered the entire match so I was not as useful to my team as I was in the past.

Edited by 3xnihilo, 19 November 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#32 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

It might make an interesting scout -- XL190 ECM 1xERLL

Not as good as a Raven 3L or even a Spider 5D but still better than any of the other Locusts

#33 Ljusdahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 19 November 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

It might make an interesting scout -- XL190 ECM 1xERLL

Not as good as a Raven 3L or even a Spider 5D but still better than any of the other Locusts

The 1V would make a better ERLL sniper, given its quirks.

#34 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

I bought it.

Not even a jesus box can save the Locust from being a Locust.

#35 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostKassatsu, on 19 November 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

I bought it.

Not even a jesus box can save the Locust from being a Locust.

Why would you want a Locust to be anything but? Expect it to be elevated to the 'lofty' status of Commando? :lol:

Jesus saves...everyone but Locust pilots. Nut up and deal.

#36 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:17 AM

View PostThat Dawg, on 19 November 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

its cute, but I am struggling to justify buying one.
as mentioned BAP makes it near worthless without something resembling a weapon.
a 6mg build limited to 1.5 tons of ammo would be better than what i'm looking at in smurf.
OR the ability to carry three (insert any three in any combo) arty, air strike, uav

6MG would be so fun and so terrible. I love the look of the "tusks" of the 2MG, but they are way too blinding to use frequently. I've gone down to a 1/2 ammo only. I'd love a piranha though and its 12 MG ...

#37 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

Well...I've got everything except the extra Module slot in the XP levels with it now. Didn't take very long, and I'm still using the stock build. Although I do have the two small laser mods installed...and radar dep. With the perks + mods the smalls reach almost to 400m, and fire fairly fast. I moved the MG ammo to my head and a leg too...from the torsos, which seems to extend my life a bit when I get hit in the side toros's now. Dam XL engines. :-)

The MGs are okay...but blind my view too much. I can barely see where I'm going when firing. I think I may drop them and add 2 heat sinks. It does run a bit hot with all the sml cool downs.

I'm debating other builds with larger lasers, but with the cool downs and range on the smls now the damage per minute should be pretty good. I won't be able to do a more damaging alpha, but damage over time should be higher. And with the added heatsinks I should be able to keep firing longer.

Meh...we'll see.

After I get it mastered, I'll probably go back to working on the Ice Ferrets...was working on getting the module slot on all three before the Pirate's Bane came along. Finally the Locust Hero mech I was waiting for. :)

#38 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:31 PM

Some builds I came up with for the Locust: PB.
Large Laser: Tiny Villain

Flamer: I CANT SEE

Med/Small: Standard Build's Build

And everyone's favorite!!!

Wubcust: MaximumWubParty

Any thoughts? Comments? Complaints?

Extra Bonus Edition:

Ubercust: UltrabeatPartyMax300

#39 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostGenJack, on 20 November 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

Some builds I came up with for the Locust: PB.
Large Laser: Tiny Villain

Flamer: I CANT SEE

Med/Small: Standard Build's Build

And everyone's favorite!!!

Wubcust: MaximumWubParty

Any thoughts? Comments? Complaints?

Extra Bonus Edition:

Ubercust: UltrabeatPartyMax300

I suggest you take a few lessons in heat sink counting.

#40 Gabriel Sapphon

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

I was watching a few of these and they have managed to get there standard magnification to x0.63-x0.69 and it wasn't as blinding as normal, Does anyone know how to set this as I see nothing in game to adjust this. Guessing its a user.cfg change. Mine is set to the standard x1.00 and after 1 game I had to go lie down due to the headache those MG's gave me, There in a terrible position. Ive ditched the MGs at the moment and been running 2 medium pulse's with the ECM and an XL190 and have been doing ok. Its no locust 3M but its ok. Dropped some head armour and added ferro and am going to try 2MPL and 2SL and see how it goes. Any chance we could get PGI to move the MG mounts to above the cockpit? Tried mounting an AC/2 to see how it looks and it gets mounted above the head so there is space. Hopefully there they wouldn't blind me.

Edited by Gabriel Sapphon, 20 November 2014 - 01:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users