Lrm Guide Book. 1.3.0 Updated 1-June-2017

51 replies to this topic

#1 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Its my goal to make lrmboats more useful, and up the quality of the level of lrmboating.

Disclaimer:
Lrms are one of the weakest weapon systems in game, as any tier 1 player will tell you, this guide is to help players make best of a bad weapon, if you actully want to "git gud" make a laserboat or guass mech.

Also this guide is very longwinded, and may involve alot of preaching about bringing narcs on lrmboats.

PLEASE HOLD LOCKS FOR ME! aka why noone holds locks for you.
Spoiler

Weaknessess of lrms.
Spoiler

Skill tree:
Spoiler

Artemis: Im sick of people not understanding that it only applies to direct los.
Spoiler

Engagement range: SUPER IMPORTANT

It seems counter intuitive but shorter ranges are better, you may have 1k range, but the longer the range the easier it is for an enemy to find cover, or break lock.

Obviously you don't want to be in srm range, but shooting stuff at 800 meters is mostly a waste of missiles, unless you have a dedicated spotter, or there narced on a map like polar.

Using narc as a lrm boat.
Spoiler

On launchers.

Spoiler

Target choice:
Spoiler

Target choice: Narcer edition.
Spoiler

Alpha vs chainfire.
Spoiler

Movement: Slow assult/heavy missileboat
Spoiler

Movement: fast medium or very fast heavy missileboat.
Spoiler

General lrm advice:
Spoiler

Money and lrm boats.
Spoiler

Cover and lrm avoidance.
Spoiler

Ecm (lrm survival part 2)
Spoiler

BAP.
Spoiler

Avoiding narcs.
Spoiler

firing over/around stuff/directing your lrm volley more onto a chosen side of a mech.( new video demo)
Spoiler

Weaknesses you bring to the team.
Spoiler

LASERS, bring them, use them, use them lots.
Spoiler

Blindfire:
Spoiler

Rage!!!!!! the tears of our enemies and how they are delicious.
Spoiler

Lrmboating as a tool to learn the game.
Spoiler

Running teams based around lrms.
Spoiler

LRMS ARE INFERIOR TO DIRECT-FIRE IN ALMOST EVERY WAY.
Spoiler

How running a narc on your lrmboat will make you: more lethal, richer, capable of playing incredibly aggressively, and much more useful to your team, and far more versatile and less reliant on team members. (ie you wont need to ask for locks.)

In video form.

narc is the difference between intermittent locks you can't really control, to having 40 second long locks on anyone that steps into your los and you're skilled enough to hit.

Don't be a slave to random locks, bring a narc, it'll make you happier, it'll make your teamates happier, it will make your enemies cry like little girls.

https://www.youtube....E7q_UykG9X9vHd8

Edited by zortesh, 01 June 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#2 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

Will be updated soon

These will all be slightly incomplete, and maybe a little bit wrong as i find it hard to recognize terrain from above.

dark red = excellent cover.
Light red = useable/ partial cover.
Yellow = Firing lines( most maps wont have this)

River city
Spoiler

crimson straits

Spoiler

Terrible therma
Spoiler

Cuastic aka missile paradise
Spoiler

Canyon network
Spoiler

Frozen city
Spoiler

Alpine peaks
Spoiler

Tourmaline desert
Spoiler

Bog.
Spoiler

Edited by zortesh, 31 May 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Nice job.

I was just thinking to myself today "The one thing this game needs is more LRM boats."

;)

#4 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Okay part 2.

lrm mechs:

Alot of this is probably subjective, but i will pass on what i know of making lrm boats and what works for me.

First off: i am talking about lrm boats, ie mechs where the majority of there firepower is lrms and they have lots of firepower.

A catapult isn't a lrmboat, it is a skirmisher with lrms.

General build rules:
Spoiler

The best OVERALL lrmboat in the game is the whk-b. (teir 1)
Spoiler

Now onto second bests.(in no particular order)
Some of these are better at spamming lrms then the warhawk, but they are slower, weaker, have worse direct-fire and worse hitboxes.

Battlemaster 1s. (teir 2) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1236177dcb01af0
Spoiler

Awesome 8r (teir 2-3)
Spoiler

Stalkers:(teir 3)(my all time favs)
Spoiler

Atlas ddc: (teir 3-4)
Spoiler

Non-ddc atlai
Spoiler

Heavy lrm boats:

Catapult: (Tier 3)
Spoiler

Mad dog.(teir 2-3) my maddog= http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f35eea756317b3
Spoiler

Orion:(teir 2-3) My orion = http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc01e35b3b164d1
Spoiler

Timberwolves:(tier 1-2)
Spoiler

Mediums:

Storm-crows:(tier 1) my build
Spoiler

Griffins: my griffin
Spoiler

Kintaros Golden boy kto18
Spoiler

HBK-4J.
Spoiler

Lrm spam quirked mediums.

my opinion is they are simply bad, while they can have epic dps and sustained rapid fire, they lack initial large volleys, eat ammo like mad, often don't mount narc beacons, and every lrm medium should mount a narc beacon or your just not as useful as you could be.
Long sustained fire situations only happen vs bad teams and bad players, which can honestly be killed easily by anything.

Killing enemy's quickly is what matters, lrm stun effects while painful to be on the receiving end of, do not disable enemy's as much as being dead does.

Optimal lrm boats.(more coming later.)
whk-b
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dc253991129d944
Any tbr
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...787404fe6f394e8
stormcrow any
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79647a3dba5d69d

Blr-1s
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1236177dcb01af0
Blr-1s(sniper varaint)
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=735536d1a02eeb5e29bae03066535837cb9e1b6c

Edited by zortesh, 01 February 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#5 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

reserved

Edited by zortesh, 01 February 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#6 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

View Postzortesh, on 16 November 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Artemis: Does not work on indirectly fired missiles. Line of sight from the firing unit to target must be present.
Artemis: Artemis replaces all bonuses from NARC even if Artemis does not have LOS[2]

This stuff I didn't know (I know I should have known, but I didn't. Look at me, lerning2play!).

Thank you!

Even if your cowardly lrmboat bring a narc, i can promise you that when that light comes to kill you, hitting them with a narc will change there mind radically about how easy of a target you are.(every other lrm boat on the map will leap on a narced light like starving wolves of a bucket full of bacon.)

Chortle.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

View Postzortesh, on 16 November 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

If it helps post 2 will show all the lrm cover..... or most of it, and involve tips in avoiding lrms.

I forgive you :). Actually, those are very good maps you've prepared.

Edited by Appogee, 16 November 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#8 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

Moved up to my third post.

Edited by zortesh, 28 November 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#9 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:03 AM

I honestly do not know what clanners complain about, the TBR is still a very, very solid LRM boat, can carry more backup weapons than anything you listed, is more mobile than most, if not all mechs you listed, can TAG+NARC for itself, and has almost no downsides. (For reference I've piloted just about every IS LRM mech and the TBR for comparison in several LRM loadouts...TBR is still better than any IS mech I own or have seen, and definitely better than a Mad Dog)

Also, nothing is ever hurt by quirks, a mech just may not have the quirks you would like for a certain weapon..this does not in any way detract from it's usefulness.

Good effort overall, glad to see some of this information regurgitated, as no matter how many times this thread is duplicated, people still don't know how Artemis works. The maps are going to be useful to new players as well.

#10 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostKodyn, on 23 November 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

I honestly do not know what clanners complain about, the TBR is still a very, very solid LRM boat, can carry more backup weapons than anything you listed, is more mobile than most, if not all mechs you listed, can TAG+NARC for itself, and has almost no downsides. (For reference I've piloted just about every IS LRM mech and the TBR for comparison in several LRM loadouts...TBR is still better than any IS mech I own or have seen, and definitely better than a Mad Dog)

Also, nothing is ever hurt by quirks, a mech just may not have the quirks you would like for a certain weapon..this does not in any way detract from it's usefulness.

Good effort overall, glad to see some of this information regurgitated, as no matter how many times this thread is duplicated, people still don't know how Artemis works. The maps are going to be useful to new players as well.

Very few people understand Artemis.

I added timberwolf to make you happy, while its still solid, its nolonger excellent at it, and id put my money on the warhawk for lrming.

Also while mechs don't suffer from quirks, other mechs that get better quirks can make them redundant by comparison, boating lrms on a stalker while still as good as it always was, and it is good.. Now does not compare to that battle-master or awesome that fires all its lrms 15% faster.

#11 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:19 AM

What about a LRM boat restriction for each lance. Would be a nice step forward here in this game!

#12 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:24 AM

View PostEclair Farron, on 23 November 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

What about a LRM boat restriction for each lance. Would be a nice step forward here in this game!

Sounds great, lets add all sorts of crazy restrictions for the matchmaker, afetrall who cares how long matches take to find. :D

It would be ncie to play balanced games, personally i hate seeing enemy teams with 10+ guass rifles, but the cure is worse then the ailment, playing the odd unbalanced game is better then waiting eternally.

#13 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

You don't have to make me happy, it's just facts lol.

The TBR in no real way was ever nerfed, even with fixed JJ, it can still boat LRMs better than almost any mech in the game. It can still carry more backup weapons, move faster, has better hitboxes, can carry NARC and/or TAG without giving up much firepower, and in fact has the choice of a JJ or non-JJ version, both of which still work great,

Now I'm an IS pilot, going to be strict IS for CW, but if it weren't for CW, I don't know why I'd pilot anything except a TBR for anything LRM-related, unless for some reason the only spot left open was an assault, then sure, Warhawk is ok.

Otherwise, and this is not a personal thing, a clan thing, or any kind of biased "thing", the TBR just plain does it better. Using a TBR for LRMs is the easy mode of all easy modes in this game, so it really can't be overlooked. If someone really wants to be the biggest pain in the ass LRM pilot they can be, and at the same time deadly, durable, and fast, they take a TBR. If you take anything else, it's only going to be because of CW, weight restrictions, or personal player preference based on looks, not how they actually outperform the TBR....because they don't. At all.

EDIT: For clarity, I said I'm an IS pilot, but I do however own and have experience piloting a TBR, so I'm not just making facts up....my TBR is basic-only, and it just shreds, everything...makes my IS mechs, fully mastered, look bad, makes other mechs look bad...makes me bored, in fact, with how easy mode using a mixed LRM/Energy TBR can be. I picked it up for experience sake, to know my enemy...and let's just say, now that I know them better, I get why they drive what they drive....and never, ever, ever want to hear a TBR pilot complain about anything, ever again.

Edited by Kodyn, 23 November 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#14 Jabakahn

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

(every other lrm boat on the map will leap on a narced light like starving wolves on a bucket full of bacon.)

Great Post, Ive been running a LRM Warhawks with fairly good succsess but I think the tips about Artimas Narc will help alot.
You forgot to add that appearantly running an LRM boat causes oppents to question your sexual preferences. ;)

#15 CimaGarahau

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesternmost Germany

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

View Postzortesh, on 23 November 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

Sounds great, lets add all sorts of crazy restrictions for the matchmaker, afetrall who cares how long matches take to find. :D

It would be ncie to play balanced games, personally i hate seeing enemy teams with 10+ guass rifles, but the cure is worse then the ailment, playing the odd unbalanced game is better then waiting eternally.

Come on, last match enemy team with more than five missile boats, each with 3 x LRM15 racks. No chance!

#16 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

Just a note to your list of LRM boats part 2. The atlas S makes a great LRM mech. I have a build with 50 tubes on it that can fire around 42 volleys before running out of ammo and has room left for a large pulse laser, 2 med lasers. You can't continually fire do to heat issues, you can only run about 2 to 3 consecutive volleys before it wants to shut down, but, the guy on the other end is getting pummeled and you can use the cool shots to help with the heat issues.

Edited by Sabertooth1966, 23 November 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#17 MechWarrior679696

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWhere you don't want to be

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Not to sound too negative, but here's the current LRM boater's recommended guide:

1) Open your Inventory.

2) Select your LRM mech.

3) Sell mech and fitted equipment.

4) Press Alt+F4

5) Go outside, take a long walk, and think about your life.

#18 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostSabertooth1966, on 23 November 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Just a note to your list of LRM boats part 2. The atlas S makes a great LRM mech. I have a build with 50 tubes on it that can fire around 42 volleys before running out of ammo and has room left for a large pulse laser, 2 med lasers. You can't continually fire do to heat issues, you can only run about 2 to 3 consecutive volleys before it wants to shut down, but, the guy on the other end is getting pummeled and you can use the cool shots to help with the heat issues.

I've had no experience lrmboating on atlai other then the ddc's, thou i will try it out and add it if i have the cbills, the list is still growing.

Protip: those that scream madly about lrms and complain alot are usually very bad at dodging lrms...... aim for them.
*points at mr huge*

Edited by zortesh, 23 November 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#19 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

bump**

Minor updates, more map advice, more lrm mechs.

#20 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

The tears of the lrm whiners keeps Monkey happy. Their tears are almost as good as their souls.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users