• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:52 AM

View PostGMRZ Mister E, on 29 November 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

I do not want to bother anyone.

Pfft.

This is exactly where you should be asking this sort of question. No-one is bothered by them -- in fact, you'll probably find most responders are delighted that someone is asking questions and figuring things out!

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

I would hope that players aren't using trials in CW unless they have to.

Good read, I would bold the mech names at the start of each paragraph to make a specific mech easier to find when scrolling through the list.

On a side note: Trial Timber Wolf, trial (and owned but identically built) Summoners, and a stock (so trial-esque) Hellbringer in combat (with huds turned off).

#23 GMRZ Mister E

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

I have watched your videos on the forums Koniving. I like your videos. Do you have a favorite loadout with the Adder? I have been reading about it on the forums. Some people hate it. I really like it.

Edited by GMRZ Mister E, 01 December 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#24 Kalamity27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for sharing. Good read!

#25 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

@Kon Good little spar there, was a nice vid. For trials I hope only as a filler for certain slots (not all of us have 100+ mechbays ;)). I doubt though that people would truly use the trials as a full force, but only as a filler in tonnage, and hopefully only really in IS side.

I personally don't have any Clan mechs just yet though, have been saving up but not enough to really get strong Clan mechs. But a lot of them are simply not set correctly (Kit Fox has too many random weapons, Timber lacks key components and has huge torsos, Warhawk + Dire Wolf are hot). Most of the upper ones are decent set up though, like the Stormcrow, Summoner, and Adder.

To everyone, him and Redshift are definitely helpful guys out here, and everyone else marked with "Welcoming Commitee".

Actually, Kon I could not find the past thread a while ago, therefore I had to post a new topic. :)

@GMRZ I'd say for an Adder, a SSRM boat would work well, maybe an LRM boat, some usage with a heavy ballistic and some beam lasers, and maybe something similar to stock (heavyish lasers/PPCs). All I could think of atm.

#26 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

What is meant by "zombie laser" under FS9-S (C) in the OP?

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 02 December 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#27 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 02 December 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

What do you mean by "zombie laser" in the OP?

Some mechs are notoriously hard to kill when piloted just right - some of those remain dangerous the entire time they are standing due to having weapons mounted in critical locations (such as the Center Torso - where your engine is located, or Head)

Having such weapons has become known as "zombie" weapons - since, like zombies - those mechs do not stop till they are good and fully dead.

Edit: in the case of the FS9-S(C) - the one weapon mounted under the + weapon group

Edited by Shar Wolf, 02 December 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#28 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

The biggest zombie type mechs in the group of trials up to date are:
Firestarter (good torso twist means you can last that much longer, though if you lose a leg you are screwed).
Centurion (literally lasts forever, and can keep most weapons until the bitter end).
Hunchback (some ability, but you'd rather not get to that point).
Thunderbolt, Victor, Stalker, and Atlas are usually quite tanky, but in the following cases they either have XL or have different roles in what they do (plus lack torso guns).
Stormcrow (quite good hitboxes).
Summoner (although not perfect hitboxes, when played well will end up to just the torsos).
Warhawk (Good hitboxes and enough mobility to spread enough damage unlike the DW).
Timber Wolf is generally good but since it has LRMs it's preferably on the sidelines and it's huge torso hitboxes are not perfect.

On the topic of survival for all: XL is basically a better in weight/speed ratio, but much weaker in survivability, as one torso lost means you die. For lights these engines are more crucial, and some edge case Meds/Heavies. Assaults generally should stay away from them, but Victor is definitely usable with XL.

STD engines are much better in survivability, but weaker in speed/weight ratios. The heavier/tankier the mech, the more worth to equip one. Light mechs should generally stay away from these however.

Clan mechs are quite special (the ones with prime and blue interface). They are allowed to switch around omnipods as mentioned above and their engines are very tanky when used well. They have XL engines but only down when two of their torsos are taken down.

#29 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

Just bumping this thread as CW is out now! :D

Play around with the trials to maybe see a role or two filled in. I haven't quite dropped either map but we'll see. All I know atm is that there is a cold map and there is a hot map.

Will do a trial --> CW maps and see how things roll then (like actually test CW maps with mechs.

Edited by luxebo, 12 December 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#30 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

Boreal Vault comparison against Sulfurous Rift map CW trial usage guide is out. After the 1st edit of the 2nd post is the short guide to those things.

Keep in mind that trials are what the name stands for; don't use trials as a main force (unless you are really hardcore but if you are hardcore then why are you here? :P ) Trials should only be for fillers as some roles (like light scouting, long range, etc) might not be possible to create using one of the mech chassis that you are probably mastering and if you simply don't have the tonnage to fill something up. Don't treat a trial as a total game changer but something that can make a slight difference in CW as many others will have mastered mechs kitted with modules and all.

Thanks to all who has kept up with the thread to date and hopefully internet doesn't keep cutting off (I wrote this at around 8 but then internet cut it off.) :) See you all in CW once my internet is stable and once I pick a faction.

#31 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

bump

#32 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Some good stuff right here.

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostGMRZ Mister E, on 01 December 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I have watched your videos on the forums Koniving. I like your videos. Do you have a favorite loadout with the Adder? I have been reading about it on the forums. Some people hate it. I really like it.

If you "quote" the person you're talking to they are a lot more likely to know about the question and respond.

Taking the Prime, I transferred a single ER PPC into one torso (doesn't matter which). The opposing torso holds an LRM rack. Finally the arms sport twin SRM racks for close range combat. This is what I use mainly. I also have variations that use lasers and missiles. I would like some ballistic builds but sadly the availability of ballistic torsos isn't available, otherwise I'd mix an ER PPC with MGs or streaks with MGs and lasers.

----

For fun, on Battletech (Megamek) I leave it 100% purestock on the prime configuration. It is absolutely devastating, like a 35 ton twin Gauss mech, with incredible accuracy and virtually every shot gets a roll for a through-armor-critical.

In one instance, yesterday in fact, I had a twin crit on an enemy engine on the first shot. It melted down and exploded approximately 70 to 80 seconds later, and it never had a chance to fire back due to its close range loadout. The pilot had lost consciousness around 50 seconds after I had hit it. Since by that point in time (on the 70 to 80 second mark) the mech had fallen over, the ejection launched the pilot into a nearby tree which killed him instantly.

Sadly I didn't have any hands to salvage his wreckage, but I did enjoy playing to the Inner Sphere nickname of the Puma. Go hulldown in double blind rules, wait for something to pop up on an ally mech's BAP, then stand (unfolding the legs from under the Adder's shell) and 'pounce' by sniping them out. Relocate, wash, rinse, repeat.

Just a shame MWO's design doesn't warrant a truly useful way of doing that to the effectiveness an Adder would get in BT.

Edited by Koniving, 04 March 2015 - 01:59 PM.

#34 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:56 PM

Bumping for Banshee trial. Good luck to all that use it as is; not for the faint hearted that is guaranteed! It can still be effective, just be cautious. Also, Hellebore Springs I will do a quick little guide on that in the future. How is that map? I haven't gotten a chance on that. I also haven't tried the new Counter attack mode (which sounds like basically a respawn skirmish with nothing more to the nowadays attrition format of CW).

#35 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:49 PM

I'm updating the thread from the following mechs that have gone into rotation (Griffin 1S(C) + all new Clan mechs):

Mist Lynx Prime, Kit Fox C, Ice Ferret Prime, Stormcrow C, Hellbringer Prime, Mad Dog Prime, Gargoyle Prime, Dire Wolf B.

Some champions/clan trials are a bit subpar, but regardless, I will help as much as I can. Anyone else can also add on details on how to run these trials.

Warning new players: Almost all the trials this rotation run extremely hot.

Edit: Tried out Griffin and verified some of the mechs that I haven't fully tried on the IS side, but I must look back at the Clan trials later on. Will take a bit through em.

Edited by luxebo, 03 March 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#36 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

View Postluxebo, on 03 March 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

I'm updating the thread from the following mechs that have gone into rotation (Griffin 1S(C) + all new Clan mechs):

This should be added to the list of tutorials and guides being gathered.

Think you could fill out the below form and post it here?
Spoiler

#37 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

I did on MiSs's thread but at the moment I have to dig it out. Bit under progress atm since the rotation added many many mechs, and some guidelines were written much earlier. (Is there that page anymore? Can I at least look at it in the deleted area?)

#38 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

View Postluxebo, on 03 March 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

(Is there that page anymore? Can I at least look at it in the deleted area?)

GM Reppu was the creator of that thread (MiSs just maintained it after he left)

When Reppu's account disappeared - so did the thread.

#39 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

<p>Amazing.<br />
<br />
Nice thread for how to play in Champion mechs stock.<br />
<br />
I want to note however a few problems.<br />
</p>
<div>
<div>

<div>Raven Champion = Harraser. not Skirmisher.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Jenner Champion = Harasser. Not skirmisher.</div>
<div>Firestarter Champion = (however it's more on support roll due to ams)</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Cicada Champion = Harasser &quot;Laser&quot; boat.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Blackjack Champion= (Urban) Brawler mech</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Trebuchet Champion = Striker</div>
<div> </div>
<div>highlander Champion = Skirmisher (?) (Not to sure what exactly this would fall. Skirmisher fits the bill however brawler does as well but I kinda also feel it falls under juggernaut here)</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Banshee = Juggernaut</div>
</div>
</div>
<div><br />
<br />
<br />
I am using TT 'roles&quot; and sub types into here as I quite like this thread and I see you do try to be more in depth then simply saying &quot;LRM boat, brawler, light mech&quot; as this seems like the only 3 terms most people know for classes)</div>
<div><br />
This is just me nit picking a bit because it isn't that i hate this thread but I love it quite a bit and I see you going in depth a bit with it so I am just adding my own few pences to the discussion.<br />
<br />
<br />
Also I recommend for the weapon groups section you should do for eg...<br />
<br />
<strong>SDR-5K(C): </strong>This is a light scout mech. Use ER LL to snipe from a long distance, but when seeing a cored torso/part of a mech and close enough range, use MGs to fire at them. Remember, they are just like lasers, ignore the MG pallets. Also, always keep forward, and torso twist to survive and not lose the torso. Not a terrible mech overall but there’s better.<br />
<strong>Weapon groups: </strong>(Group 1: ER LL group) (Group 2: 4 Machine guns)<br />
<br />
Also mentioning that your weapon groups are your own personal idea as people (ranging from different mouse buttons 2 to 6+) (or the kind of mouse that doesn't require moving it...) do have a lot of impact to how people do there weapon groups so if a new person tries to do something not optimal for them it may be a bad habit later on or restricting themself. <br />
<br />
</div>

#40 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Bit cluttered but that's ok.

Yeah harasser might be better fit as scouts are more speedy (i.e. SDR-5V, etc) and just spot enemies. Highlander is sorta more brawler (skirmisher in my opinion are longer ranged, and due to the low slung hardpoints it's more of a brawler). Banshee, Blackjack, Treb, yeah you are correct. ;)

For weapon groups at least I mean by the split of em, not necessarily which buttons to push but what weapons should be in groups and which should be in another group. So for example STK should group ML together and chain fire LRMs instead rather than separate MLs, making it harder to use to some extent.

Edit: Kit Fox is an a-ok, totally runable. Good support mech.

Mist Lynx Prime... is at best equal to a stock locust. I'm not sure if I can stick with that statement either. It's a true hardcore new player experience if a new player uses it.

Stormcrow is very strong, but a bit hot. Very good all in all.

Ice Ferret isn't quite super super strong, but works as a sniper and can do some work (similar to Kit Fox but faster and without anti missile stuff).

Hellbringer is insanely hot as a sniper/support, but works as is. Maybe one can try to use it as a pure brawler with torso weapons only until near death then the PPCs.

Mad Dog is neat but hot, only fire the Pulses when under supreme fire.

Gargoyle is actually a-ok, not as bad as I've heard. It can have a good shotgun effect and brawl well enough.

Dire Wolf B is again hot, but has lots of ACs. Use ACs mostly then in emergencies use PPCs/lasers.

All I have today, can't truly write a long report on em yet. Maybe by the end of this week sometime. Thanks all to your support on this thread though. :)

Edited by luxebo, 03 March 2015 - 10:24 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users